Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: 2018 HLP Book Club
« Last post by karajorma on April 23, 2018, 01:51:27 am »
It's a pity because the premise of the new books is interesting but handled so slowly that it's a bit of a slog to get through it.
« Last post by The E on April 23, 2018, 12:35:28 am »
The series in question is the Honor Harrigton series by David Weber, a nice light reading with political intrigues, spaceships going boom, a protagonist that is very good at her job but always gets in the worst situation possible because politics and has an empathic bond with a sentient six-limbed alien cat.

Here's a piece of advice, should you decide to stick with the series: Absolutely, positively stop reading after either Ashes of Victory or At All Costs. The series takes an absolute nosedive after that, as Baen stopped doing editorial oversight on Weber and he started to use dictation software to write (Shadow of Saganami is, imho, the only exception here; that book is actually decent).
I'm at the second half of War of Honor at the moment and it's still fine IMHO.
Sincerely I'm used to read mostly old 18th century and 19th century stuff often originally dictated to a secretary (like Goethe used to do for example) so the lack of editorial oversight is not exactly a deal breaker for me, at least nothing has reached Ann Radcliffe level of dispersiveness of content and convoluteness of phrasing until now.

Wait till you get to the part where the books tread water for several installments, with Weber going so far as to copy entire chapters wholesale, or where he introduces subplots with dozens of characters never seen before or after that reiterate points he made earlier and more concisely.
The Babylon Project / Re: Original Agamemnon Omega VFX Model Restoration
« Last post by Blake00 on April 23, 2018, 12:01:44 am »
This is v2
https://www.facebook.com/groups/649195025218685/permalink/1032305583574292/

Here you can find the previous version of the Omega model. And also a few pictures of StarFury.
https://www.facebook.com/Chris-Kuhn-3D-Artist-345392525548878/

Thanks man! I knew someone around here would know! :)

Doesn't look like he's done any textured versions though which is a shame as the detail is insane.
FreeSpace Conversion / Re: Game breaking bug in FSPort "Playing Judas"
« Last post by Goober5000 on April 22, 2018, 10:54:47 pm »
I just tested the mission and it works exactly as it should.  Post your fs2_open.log as requested and I can investigate further.
« Last post by Scourge of Ages on April 22, 2018, 09:53:40 pm »
I imagine, if anyone is in this thread, you have some interest in reading and possibly writing.

If you have an Amazon account, I recommend you download the sample of a book called "A Glimmer of Hope" by Steve McHugh. Let me know what you think.

I got a copy through Amazon First Reads, and the first two chapters (what's in the sample) are indescribable.

Repeat: just the sample, don't buy the book.
« Last post by Det. Bullock on April 22, 2018, 09:48:25 pm »
The series in question is the Honor Harrigton series by David Weber, a nice light reading with political intrigues, spaceships going boom, a protagonist that is very good at her job but always gets in the worst situation possible because politics and has an empathic bond with a sentient six-limbed alien cat.

Here's a piece of advice, should you decide to stick with the series: Absolutely, positively stop reading after either Ashes of Victory or At All Costs. The series takes an absolute nosedive after that, as Baen stopped doing editorial oversight on Weber and he started to use dictation software to write (Shadow of Saganami is, imho, the only exception here; that book is actually decent).
I'm at the second half of War of Honor at the moment and it's still fine IMHO.
Sincerely I'm used to read mostly old 18th century and 19th century stuff often originally dictated to a secretary (like Goethe used to do for example) so the lack of editorial oversight is not exactly a deal breaker for me, at least nothing has reached Ann Radcliffe level of dispersiveness of content and convoluteness of phrasing until now.
Arts & Talents / MOVED: The Decision: A Fanfic
« Last post by Goober5000 on April 22, 2018, 08:44:17 pm »
General Discussion / Re: The Expanse (tv series)
« Last post by MP-Ryan on April 22, 2018, 08:24:19 pm »
Okay, found a free trial on a streaming service so I've watched all of season 1/2 in the last week.  This show is great.  It utterly fails to convey the sense of scale and time lapse in trvale like the books does, but I don't care overly much.  It also doesn't really convey the physiological differences between Belters, Martians, and Earthers, though it does try (and I understand why the complexity of that just does not make it worth the expense in production).  I'm just starting season 3 now, and so far it's pretty faithful to the books.  The casting I think is excellent - the characters are not how I picture them, but that's not a bad thing, just different (e.g. isn't Amos bald?  and Alex older?  Holden beefier?  Naomi taller?).  I wasn't sold on Bobbi's casting initially at all, but by the end of season 2 was fully onboard.  And actually, the gem in all the casting is Avasarala.  Despite not being as old as she should be, she's bloody perfect.  The last more hidden gem is Drummer.  Also a fantastic casting choice.

All in all, this series is great and it just makes me want the next book that much sooner.
Gaming Discussion / Re: SOLAR WARDEN on Kickstarter!
« Last post by Scourge of Ages on April 22, 2018, 05:57:23 pm »
The Game is inspired by titles like Freelancer, Descent, XCOM and Homeworld, and aims to combine the spirit of these games with modern technology in a unique fusion of genres.

You have my attention...
Gaming Discussion / Re: SOLAR WARDEN on Kickstarter!
« Last post by PVD_Hope on April 22, 2018, 05:51:55 pm »
This looks totally rad! Best of luck! :D
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10