Author Topic: Ship lengths  (Read 1904 times)

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
I was wondering how you arrived at the ship lengths listed in the various ships pages. For the Terran ships it looks like you used the lengths listed in the tables, which in turn appear to be the largest of H, W, or D in the POF (rounded down), as I read them in PCS2. Looking at some of the Shivan ships, the listed lengths don't seem to follow that.

For example the Nephilim is listed at 53m, but in PCS2, W=44.07, D=34.13
I would have expected the Nephilim to be listed at 34m long, because as far as I can tell that is the length from front to back.
The Ulysses is listed in the tables as 16m long, and that is its listed length in the wiki. PCS2 says W=16.00, D=11.12. Personally I think 11m long might be a better way to list things, or perhaps 16m wide, but that's not relevant to my main point. The point is, where does a number like 53m come from?

I'm not very experienced in working with FS2 modding, so maybe the listed lengths are correct and I'm just not understanding something.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
IIRC values those of the ships read from modelview data. Some errors - possibly even systematic errors - may have been added along the data. So it is possible that the values in the wiki are wrong.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Snail

• SC 5
ModelView takes into account thruster cones as well as the shield mesh. Thus the length data taken from ModelView is bullcrap.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Does the PCS2 value suffer the same error?
If not, then why doesn't someone just go through with PCS2 and fix all the values?
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================