Author Topic: PVC Neith WiP  (Read 5243 times)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
One of the big challenges in going back and creating a campaign set over a decade before FS1 - hell, the single biggest challenge - is that you can't really just use the same FS1 ships. You can get away with it when your campaign is set only a few months before, and add new ships where your missions demand them, but when you're going back this far, you basically need to rebuild the fleet, otherwise it kills the verisimillitude (IMO, anyway). This is hard enough for Terrans, but for the Vasudans, who have about a fifth of the number of mods available (many of which look distinctly post-capella), it's much, much harder. So, to do it right, we basically have to do it ourselves.

Almost.

Luckily, there are still a few quality models out there, if you know where to look. One such model was Blowfish's GVC Naunet, which was based on Stratcomm's Naunet and Asarte models. This just happend to coincide neatly with the fact that I'd been trying to use one of these models for awhile as the PVC Neith in Frontlines.

Eventually, I was able to get in touch with Blowfish, who sent me the model for UVing and texturing. This is where the process stands at the moment.

http://imgur.com/a/IcvpC

The textures are still WiP - there's a mass grey layer over the old black and white bits, but the AO hides it pretty well. Still work to be done, though, and of course, Debris, LoDs etc. However, as this is a FL model, the open development policy comes into play, and as soon as it's done, it'll be released.

As for its role in FL, it's still basically as written on the wiki page linked to above - the Vasudaqn's most powerful, heavy hitting cruiser, and probably the most dangerous in their fleet (destroyers are still way off in the future at this point) short of the Ramses, when you take its fighters and bombers into account. The terrans really don't have a counter at this point in the war, and they're desperately trying to do something about that, modifying Fenrises into Leviathans and desperately rushing to get the Goliath cruiser-destroyer into service. Seeing one of these on the battlefield is a scary experience for any terran pilot at this point in the war.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I love it :yes: . I always wanted to see this model finished, but unfortunately ED didn't go that far with development process. Any chances to see post-capella variant?
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Bravo!   :yes:
Very nice looking ship there, and I can totally see that as a pre-FS1 Vasudan ship.
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Very good work!
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

It's what an Aten should have looked like! Excellent job piletttttttttTTT.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Thanks guys. Still going on this one, have made pretty decent progress the last few days, but it will likely be awhile yet - I have an intensive uni course and a trip overseas over the next few weeks, not likely to get it finished much before the end of August or beyond. Still, glad people are enjoying the way it's looking so far.

Any chances to see post-capella variant?

Eventually, maybe, but not for awhile. It was discussed a tiny bit when I asked blowfish for the model, but he never really seemed to consider it a priority, and to be blunt, I don't really have a need for a post-Capella version right now. More or less everything I model or texture (with a few notable exceptions) is for a specific mission or campaign. I think it helps keep me productive. If I have a need for it (or blowfish specifically requests it) I could probably attempt a post Capella skin, or if I wanted to use it as a testbed (my last attempt at a post-Capella skin wans't really much of a success) but it's not a priority right now.

Besides, far more talented modders than me like Oddgrim and TheDagger are kicking goals with post-Capella Vasudan ship design, they don't need me muddying the waters. :)
[EDIT]Although, sadface, Oddgrim hasn't actually logged in to HLP since 2014. :\
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain

Very disagree.

I love the aten shape.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Very disagree.

I love the aten shape.

Really? Hmm... maybe I'm remembering it less fondly because it's such a garbage cruiser in terms of firepower, and the Mentu is both more viable and better looking (IMO). But this homage definitely feels right on point.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
How about the ship listed as the Aten Mk.II?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Got the diffuse map finished, and popped a LoD 0 in game. Masses still to do (LoDs, debris, tonnes of destroyed submodels), but least now I have something I can balance and playtest with. :)

For the record, initial balance was way off, got smashed by a single Fenris.
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
That is a really great new version of that ship :)
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need