Author Topic: Arwing interceptor and defender development thread  (Read 18231 times)

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
  • maveric modeler, the sky is just the begining
Arwing interceptor and defender development thread
hello, I am in the process of making interceptor-class and defender-class arwings, and have made this thread so I can get some feedback on my models of each and the designs. my main references are the pixel ref in ship selection(in axem's words pixel art) and the ingame models, and the arwing mk 1 (SF) and mk2(SF64) blueprints to make them a bit more like the main arwing designs, though they do have their own unique features. so here are some current pics of the arwing interceptor, may have some of the defender later.(note: the wings are angled down, though 2 of the pics are prior to this change). if you would like the starfox wiki link or me to post a few of my interceptor refs, just ask. and I am open to design suggestions. these are planned to be in a mod.

also note, the arwing interceptor is a faster more agile variant of the arwing, with lighter shields, armor and armenant. also note, both craft are originaly from the unreleased Starfox 2.

[attachment deleted by a basterd]

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
Re: Arwing interceptor and defender development thread
oh and another pic, and 2 of my refs

« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 09:15:30 am by mandobardanjusik »

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
Well SF2 wasn't officially released but it did get out and has an english patch if you need more references.
Seems you may know that already though.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Good choice posting here instead of on Shadows of Lylat board. ;) I can't really comment other than that it looks like an Arwing.

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
 ya, I put it on here at the suggestion of axem actualy, and because this proably gets more traffic from a variety of people, thus more input. ok, because I am awaiting some feedback on the interceptor(also, I could use some comments on weapons placemnts types and amounts, we are somewhat free to chose on this because the ref game was never fully released, and I doubt, this the arwing, and the defender would all have the same weapondry, and laser locations were never specified) I think I will begin some work on the arwing defender. the defender like the interceptor has several design elements that are quite different than the main arwings, such as the interceptor having the split front. now the defender on the other hand, has a rather fat body, wiht the cockpit actualy part of a structure jutting out the front, as shown in my refs, but still has the tradematk g-diffusers and wings. also, yes I have thetranslated rom, and an emulator on which to use it as ref. also, like the interceptor, I plan to use the ingame model for hte basic shape, and the pixel art for detailing, and the mainstream mk1 and 2 arwing blueprints to determine a good g-diffuser and stablizer looks, again making it somewhat of mixed look, though I may go off the 64 version for the winngs on this one due to its size. also, I may attempt to make the g-diffusers actualy a merge of the SF64 and assualt g-diffuser designs, but maybe not, depends on how it turns out

also, I think I know at least part of my weapons decision on the interceptor. As it was in SF2 the only ship to start with twin lasers, I figure if you have the upgrade technicly 'double' the amount of usable lasers I will give it four lasers, however, these will likely be a bit weaker than the normal laser, but maybe weapon firing settings may be possible, but thats not a question to ask me

« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 05:04:57 pm by mandobardanjusik »

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
ok, I have my first WIP of the Arwing defender, and first before I get any comments, yes I know it looks rather different from most arwings, but it is an arwing. also, I see the differences between the arwing, defender, and interceptor, something like the difference between the F-18, F-14 Tomcat, and the AV-7 harrier(but much faster :D). as in, the arwing is a multi-purpose all-rounder, the defender is a bigger, and has a few slightly more unique features, along with being good on defense, or extremely heavy offensive (but dodging, not so much), and the interceptor is small, fast and agile, even though it has a smaller payload. also, both of these are still works in progress, and I am willing to take advice, and I would love comments. also, I personally at least think it is cool to see both the arwing interceptor and defender possibly in a game again, and with the graphics and poly-counts to make them look better than ever

oh and scaling is approximate, not exact

Offline SypheDMar

• Minecraft
Huh. Looks nice. How about smoothing the Defender's nose? Not too smooth, but just to make it not sharp. Round it a bit. As for everything else, it looks like the Arwing in your references. You can keep it as is or go further and add bits, or you can reimagine the whole thing and keep what you have as the basic design.

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
I agree on the nose, but I do have it a bit rounded already, just need to tweak it a bit further. and I think I have a bit more tweaking on the body, and I plan to add more details, but I think I will stick  with the current look, it may look a bit like a cross between the arwing and a F-14 tomcat :D, but, it is rather cool in its unigueness, and in that way, it feels more like an arwing, and it does liven up the appearance a bit (but I think for fun, I may make the lowest LOD look exactly like the origiinal model  :lol:

and I would still like some comments on possible weapondry, so I can start adding some weapons details

« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 04:02:06 am by mandobardanjusik »

Offline SypheDMar

• Minecraft
Well, I've never played Star Fox nor Star Fox 2. As far as weapons go, you can pretty much go with anything really as long as it doesn't look out of place. Use canonical weapons for references or use artistic liberties and make your own. Command has several different types of weapons that you can choose from as well, and let's not forget about all those different weapons the enemies use. I figured that the Defender should look more heavily armed (perhaps a visible or visibly larger larger bomb bank and more menacing laser cannons) while the Interceptor should appear less armed and potentially sleeker.

Whatever you end up doing, good luck on it. Your Arwings are pretty fine. :)

EDIT: By the way, do you plan on doing anything more with the models? The Interceptor looking the way it is with the middle appearing as a block bugs me. It's probably like that in the original, but it feels lacking.

EDIT2: Huh. Looks like the Interceptor is more heavily armed and shielded while the Defender has self-repair. Do what you want for the weapons still.

Offline starlord

JC4JC should know of this... good show!

Offline starlord

Uh, sorry! I meant the shadows of lylat project at game warden. still very much active.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I'll confess to trolling when I ask this, but by "active" do you mean to say that it is sill very much unintelligibly drooled over by furry fanbois?

...Or that the project is still hosted over on that lackluster board?
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline starlord

true, but visibly the heads of the project are still periodically making updates, which is more than we can say for many other projects hosted there...

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Very much so. And to anyone on the SoL team, pardon my humor if it was in ill taste.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
I already have, it was axem who suggested I do this, but I am still awaiting a reply from dabrain

Offline SypheDMar

• Minecraft
It was much better that you did it here (although Modding Board would have made your models much more noticeable than Fan Art) rather than Game Warden.

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
wait, there is a modeling board? I didnt know that, I can move there then

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
"Modding" not "Modeling"

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
ah, facepalm, is there a way for me to move it to that threada perhaps?