Author Topic: Working on new B5 models and mini mod.  (Read 2524 times)

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Working on new B5 models and mini mod.
So not sure if people on here are aware, but i started a mini project over here https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=97923.new#new basically i am having a go at doing my own mini B5 mod. I have 3 ships in game and fully working, the EA Hyperion, Midwinter and Nova. I am currently working on the EA Orion class station, with a few artistic liberties.

I am starting small, just doing a few EA ships and stations, so it should be easier as i can do EA Civil war, or raider missions. Which i think is achievable.

When it comes to doing a B5 mod do any of the team here have any advice at all?

[attachment deleted to save space]
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Re: Working on new B5 models and mini mod.
From the looks of it, your Nova is missing a couple of gun emplacements on either side of the head.  Here's an image for reference:

Click to see better resolution.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Haha it does actually have them, this shot was taken just after it got hit on the front by shivan beams that took out the front turrets. For the ships I used the existing TBP ships to get turret placement.

I have since gone back and added destroyed turret sub models for the the main guns

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline wesp5

Why bother creating a second Babylon 5 mod instead of helping to fix the already existing one? This makes no sense!

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
I'm doing this because i want to do a project myself from the ground up, the TBP is more than welcome to use my models, i have no issue with that.  The biggest issue for the stuff i have made is simply  it would probably break existing campaigns due to the models having different subsystem locations etc and the models being slightly different sizes. as for some reason despite having the unit measurements setup correctly in max, they always load up in PCS much smaller and i have to scale them in that, which doesn't always get the size of the original model.

Also this my own on personal project i want to do, Why can't there be 2? there are 2 Star wars projects, there have been 2 Battlestar Galactic mods. Most games like sins of a solar empire for example have multiple Star trek, Star wars, Warhammer 40K mods.

I mean no disrespect but this is something i want to do and be able to say i made that by the end. Also as i said i am more than happy if Trivial Psychic, Vidmaster or any of the TBP team want to use these ships etc i am more than happy for that.  Again im not making this compete or anything like with the TBP as i love the mod. This is just a small passion project i would like to do. Its like building a model railway.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Also this my own on personal project i want to do, Why can't there be 2? there are 2 Star wars projects, there have been 2 Battlestar Galactic mods. Most games like sins of a solar empire for example have multiple Star trek, Star wars, Warhammer 40K mods.

I mean no disrespect but this is something i want to do and be able to say i made that by the end. [...] This is just a small passion project i would like to do. Its like building a model railway.

If you are willing to put in the work, there is no (good) reason to stop you.

Actually I am looking quite forward to the result  :yes:  FSO has a lot of nice options hidden away that could use some exposure that a new B5 mod could bring.

TBP is one of "the venerable old ones" of FSO modding as such it was achieved a status no one can take away from it. But it also means that maybe it is a bit too beholden to choices made under circumstances that no longer hold weight they once did.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Oh i love the TBP project i have followed since its inception, When Icefire, Tomcat where around. I have nothing but love and respect for the TBP which is why i came here to ask for any tips from any of the development team.

What i am doing is just something small. Not a full TC as that would be totally unrealistic for me.  Also i was unsure if the TBP was still being actively being worked on other than updating to work on current builds

Offline wesp5

Why can't there be 2? there are 2 Star wars projects, there have been 2 Battlestar Galactic mods.

There are two Battlestar Galactica mods? I only know about Diaspora. And I don't think there is even one finished FSO Star Wars project, probably because instead of working together, people alway try to do their own stuff and fail...

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
No offense but that is uncalled for,  the star wars original trilogy mod was released back in 2014. The other one fate of the galaxy is still going with regular updates on discord and looks fantastic. To say fail I think is unfair, esp to the people working on the mods.

Also what I want to do with my mini mod might not be the direction the TBP team want. As I said I am happy to share my assets, like I came here to ask for advice, but I want to build my own thing.

The babylon project itself went through a long development process and was nearly canceled at one point and has gone through several rebuilds  during its development, inferno is still being developed. Just because something takes a long time doesn't mean it failed.

There was another battlstar mod released either 2019 or 2020 by a relative unknown guy, I can't remember the mod name. It was really good but extremely difficult and I don't think it had checkpoints.

Now the author was given feedback, and for some reason he didn't take it well and the mod was briefly removed from knossos, but then put it back and then something else was said and it was removed again. Now it was a very small TC but it was very polished and fun.

Online Strygon

• So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    • Steam
Why can't there be 2? there are 2 Star wars projects, there have been 2 Battlestar Galactic mods.

There are two Battlestar Galactica mods? I only know about Diaspora. And I don't think there is even one finished FSO Star Wars project, probably because instead of working together, people alway try to do their own stuff and fail...

No one is obligated to work on existing mods rather than work on whatever they wish. People do this for free out of their own desire, this isn't some kind of company where people get paid to get a product out as efficiently as possible, so quit your whining and stop trying to dictate how people spend their efforts.
Makes missions sometimes.
Finished Projects: Operation: Cloak and Dagger

Current Projects: Scrolls Part 2 (FREDding), Dimensional Eclipse (Art),
The First Contact War, GTDr Amazon HTL

[23:22] strypolygon: andrew
[23:22] strypolygon: i have one favor to ask of you
[23:22] strypolygon: never try speaking german again
[23:23] Andrewofdoom: No.

[18:50] 島風改八百三: the duck has multipli
[18:50] 島風改八百三: many duck
[18:50] 島風改八百三: left side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: even side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: handle it

[21:34] MP-Ryan: Why on earth would you Google this
[21:34] The_E: why would you not

[06:46] Strigon: how big is a mini-campaign again?
[06:46] Asteroth: smaller than a campaign
[06:47 ]Strigon: thanks

[05:56] Strigon: If I had to take a shot for each time I randomly decided to change the UI sounds, I'd have died of alcohol poisoning by now

[17:36] qazwsxal: time to have some fun
[17:41] z64555: VC++5 is not my idea of fun

[EatThePath] do your missiles do anything absurd?
[Strigon] describe absurd
[Strigon] the entire mod is absurd

Offline wesp5

No offense but that is uncalled for,  the star wars original trilogy mod was released back in 2014.

Sorry, but I didn't know that. Do you have a link? Because I don't find anything here on Hard-Light net.

The babylon project itself went through a long development process and was nearly canceled at one point and has gone through several rebuilds during its development, inferno is still being developed. Just because something takes a long time doesn't mean it failed.

TBP has not failed, obviously. But I remember several other projects that never did very well, wasn't there a game called "I've found her"?

Now the author was given feedback, and for some reason he didn't take it well and the mod was briefly removed from knossos, but then put it back and then something else was said and it was removed again.

This is exactly what I meant. Small projects tend to vanish and all the work goes to waste! This might be different in your case, but I have seen it often enough and it's sad...

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
As the lead developer of the Original Trilogy mod, I certainly can give you a link (there is actually stickied post with it in the Fate of the Galaxy board).

Though a few years back I joined the main Fate of the Galaxy team and we’ve been working on regular updates since  :)

Overall the Original Trilogy mod was my much earlier work and is far below my current quality. Furthermore, the models/textures were poorly optimized, the mod itself only had 1 official mission, and the build it uses is ancient.

I tell folks it will be much more worth it to wait for Fate of the Galaxy (quarterly updates are posted on the forum board and very frequent chatter and smaller updates are posted on our Discord).

Regarding starbug’s mod here, I think it’s great to start small like this and do whatever you want as a modder (it’s supposed to be a fun hobby after all!). From personal experience I can say doing your own thing can lead to learning a lot more then being assigned to do one thing. A benefit of consulted with experienced modders though is also good, as there are lots of things that are easier to learn from others vs the hard way.

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Do you have a link? Because I don't find anything here on Hard-Light net.
https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=79430.0 it was the first thing to appear on my search and https://www.moddb.com/mods/star-wars-the-original-trilogy-mod

This is exactly what I meant. Small projects tend to vanish and all the work goes to waste! This might be different in your case, but I have seen it often enough and it's sad...

His project was finished, the issue of it being removed was people wanted features add to it which he didn't to add as he liked the mod as it was, and in his eyes it was finished, it got heated so he removed it and left.

Now for I've found her that was released in 2003, last update release 2018. Youtube playthroughs still appearing i would call that a success.

To be perfectly honest i came here to ask the team for advice and i feel ive been met with hostility, negativity (except for trivial n 0rph3u5), that i can't do my own B5 mod and i have had to defend myself for doing my own mod, Now that might not have been your intent but to me that is how it has come across.

Edit: Thank you Wookie :), In my time here since HLP started i have done assets for the og Inferno, think the Icelus is the only remaining one. Provided the BP team models(not sure if they will be used), aided Darius with ships for Solaris. Now i wish to do something of my own and branch out from just making ships.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 04:46:33 pm by starbug »

Offline wesp5

https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=79430.0 it was the first thing to appear on my search and https://www.moddb.com/mods/star-wars-the-original-trilogy-mod

Okay, but that mod is 5 years old and it isn't a standalone game like I had expected. I might still take a look :)!

His project was finished, the issue of it being removed was people wanted features add to it which he didn't to add as he liked the mod as it was, and in his eyes it was finished, it got heated so he removed it and left.

This sounds like Titanic games I know. Two teams were working on a similar concept, discussions got heated, one was left unfinished and the other is still in development after years. Why won't people work together?

To be perfectly honest i came here to ask the team for advice and i feel ive been met with hostility, negativity (except for trivial n 0rph3u5), that i can't do my own B5 mod and i have had to defend myself for doing my own mod, Now that might not have been your intent but to me that is how it has come across.

Sorry, if my comments came across too harsh, this was not my intention. But it took a lot of effort to get TBP onto Knossos and there are still so many small issues left with nobody willing or capable to work on them...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 05:15:17 pm by wesp5 »

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Sorry, if my comments came across too harsh, this was not my intention. But it took a lot of effort to get TBP onto Knossos and there are still so many small issues left with nobody willing or capable to work on them...

Apology accepted, But you've got to admit you where in a pretty aggressive stance which would put people off. I  totally get that it must of took a lot of effort and work to get it on Knossos, just as it took a lot of work to get it on FSOpen, as the mod was made for Retail release. I don't even know if i code fix the current issues as i don't know what they are, if they are a coding issue then i really can't help as my coding skills are 0.

I have looked at some of the pof's and some of them when looking at them just don't make sense or the centre points of the model are in the wrong place. like the hyperion, it also has like 4 levels of detail for each sub-object and debris as well.. I have never seen that before.

It would be a absolute mammoth job going through all the models and sorting those issues out alone. That is why i am only doing a mini mod, i simply don't have the free time to do anyting bigger.

Have there been any posts for assistance on the TBP of HLP discord? as that is where a lot of people seem to be now.

Offline wesp5

But you've got to admit you where in a pretty aggressive stance which would put people off.

Yeah, I admit that. But I'm so annoyed about all these mods that try to invent the wheel anew and fail in the end! Let's hope yours is not like that ;).

I don't even know if i code fix the current issues as i don't know what they are, if they are a coding issue then i really can't help as my coding skills are 0.

Same here, all I can do is using a text editor to fix typos and names, and maybe the occassional mission problem if it is easy enough to figure out...

It would be a absolute mammoth job going through all the models and sorting those issues out alone. That is why i am only doing a mini mod, i simply don't have the free time to do anyting bigger.

It would be great if you could provide your fixed models to TBP as you already offered, if they are compatible to the TBP tables. I myself have no experience with FSO models at all!

Offline wesp5

Wow, I just played a bit of the SW Original Trilogy mod and the few missions I got to run look great! Why was this abandoned? And is there a way to fix the briefing error which break most of the available missions? Because I don't understand how such a mess can still be downloadable from ModDB ;). I really hope the Fate of the Galaxy game uses some of these resources and improves on them :)!

PS: This is the error breaking all briefings: Could not load in 2_CommandBrief-mb. Strange enough this file is not found referenced in the mission files themselves.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 04:35:20 pm by wesp5 »

Offline wookieejedi

Glad you enjoyed the old OT mod. Mainly it was abandoned because under the hood there are a lot of issues, bugs, and very poor optimizations (this was in my very early mod days, and the OT mod was really just an asset compilation from warfull and some other SW mods).

FotG has far superior models, textures, and many, many other assets (so if you liked the OT mod stuff you are in for a real treat with FotG). Plus, the models, textures, music, etc are original creations in FotG, not compiled from various places like the OT mod. We've also worked to ensure FotG is stable, well-optimized, and looks just like the movies.

Sorry, got a bit off topic from starbug’s exciting post. Great to see quick updates!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 01:12:09 pm by wookieejedi »

Well I would like to stay on and help but it seems my health is not making it easy.  I pretty much spent those first few months of the lock down getting all the mission files fixed (well mostly fixed).  There was a ton of work to get all the asset names correct. 

I do hope some people jump in and keep making it better.  I do believe that it could be made even better.   With the rumor of a reboot people's interest is sure to take off also.

I see my neural surgeon in January to discuss my issues.   Hopefully he can fix things.

Offline wookieejedi

Well I would like to stay on and help but it seems my health is not making it easy.  I pretty much spent those first few months of the lock down getting all the mission files fixed (well mostly fixed).  There was a ton of work to get all the asset names correct. 

I do hope some people jump in and keep making it better.  I do believe that it could be made even better.   With the rumor of a reboot people's interest is sure to take off also.

I see my neural surgeon in January to discuss my issues.   Hopefully he can fix things.

You have done some terrific work for it. I also hope the doctor visit goes well and they can help.