Author Topic: The Witcher 2  (Read 7845 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
On easy (like in freespace, flying **** ships with ship weapon loadouts but you can get away with it) you're not punished for being ****, so it doesn't matter what you do, you can just press one button and get through most of the game with ease.
After you learn the combat system you'll realise on the higher difficulties how combat is actually tactical, involving, and intense.

...Little less ignorant now?

You might want to try reading his complaints. He's helpfully reprinted them.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

I'm sorry, but I disagree.
If the combat system worked like that the hardest difficulty just wouldn't be possible.

You control the more 'ridiculous' attacks with directional button presses (and camera angle) combined with mouse clicks BEFORE you make them, there is function and form and flow to all of the attacks, and assuming you're not just LMB or RMB spamming like a spaz it quickly becomes very apparent how that part of the combat system works.

Needless to say those lunges can be damning, but if you use them correctly they're a good way of working up to the group finishers on higher difficulties.
More often than not though you find yourself rolling away or at the very least blocking immediately after one of those.

If the game didn't rape my GPU so much I'd make a freaking tutorial :I
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
So, how do you handle the hundred million thousand nekkers in the caves?
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline newman

I think I know where you are. 4 tricks to surviving there:

1) Do NOT go too deep into the cave. The Nekkers will spawn at a certain distance and go after you. Take care of a few then go in deeper.
2) If you fall back to the point you entered the Nekkers will leave you alone. Use swallow before you go into combat and regen at that point as needed.
3) When fighting roll/jump around a lot. Always use hit and run tactics when greatly outnumbered - move around a lot and attack exposed targets, gradually reducing their strength in numbers advantage.
4) Use the Quen sign a lot - it's like a personal shield generator. Once Quen goes down, roll/jump to safety and recast it.

Most importantly, fights like that require patience. If you try to do too much too fast you'll end up dead - a few cuts and run away is a lot better than one dead enemy and your health at 10%.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

QuantamDelta, I don't see one thing in any of your posts that suggests that my actual points are wrong.  You can have a fiendishly hard but very responsive combat system:  See Demon's Souls.

For the cave, I used Bombs in the initial encounter.    With the enemies that densely packed, they're fiendishly effective.  5-6 Samum and you'll wipe out that first huge way, and after that the rest of it is easy.

If you're talking about the Ch 1 quest Malena, the answer is a nice nekker barbecue. Get a nekker lures from Cedric, make a few dragons dream bombs and a conflagration trap. Place the trap in the part they won't follow you into, liberally apply dragons dream bombs to the area, making sure to overlap the clouds and that one expands to cover the trap. Place the lure, draw them towards you, watch one set off the trap and all roast in the blast. After that I never ran into more than two or three at a time in that cave.
Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
Just finished the game on Vernon's path (which I suspect may be the more 'canon' path) - truly excellent RPG, great plot, gameplay, characters. Just all round excellent, definitely in my top 3 RPGs (BG I/II, Morrowind and TW2)
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
Just started. Being attacked by a dragon. The people following are talking, but they're all mumbling for some reason, and they keep leading me into the fire for some reason.

Edit: Found a way to get past the fire which my teammates seem to be immune to: Shielding spell!  :yes:
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 04:43:26 pm by Nemesis6 »

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
Your friends rush out when they think the Dragon is past and they have enough time to leg it, they're not always right. Judge it yourself and wait until you time yourself as safe, and yeah, use Quen.

For those who have completed the game on Vernon's path, do you want to talk about the major decisions you made at the end of Act 2 and during Act 3?

Spoiler:
I didn't let Vernon kill Henselt, as it would serve the Kingslayer's agenda. [I guessed it was Nilfgaard up to it's old tricks]. I saved Anais instead of Triss, and betrothed her to Radovid, thinking that the alliance could only strengthen the North. I let the Dragon live, as a Witcher does not slay Dragons. And finally, after hearing Letho's explanation, and for his past help in tracing the Wild Hunt, I let the Kingslayer go.

Also, Vernon is a BAMF. I can't wait for the sequel to this one, it was an excellent game and I can't wait to resolve the obvious sequel hooks of this one
Spoiler:
Yennefer/The Wild Hunt/Nilfgaard's invasion
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline mxlm

Just started. Being attacked by a dragon. The people following are talking, but they're all mumbling for some reason, and they keep leading me into the fire for some reason.
Since this isn't at all obvious and innumerable people made this mistake: the dialogue options in the dungeon? Go from the top down. Otherwise you're playing the story out of order, as they aren't really dialogue choices, they're level selections.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Otherwise you're playing the story out of order

But... THIS IS AN RPG and all that. There was no 'playing out of order' in BG2, why would there be in W2?

Offline newman

But... THIS IS AN RPG and all that. There was no 'playing out of order' in BG2, why would there be in W2?

It doesn't really matter much. You can play those events in order or not, they describe a very short sequence of events so it doesn't really impact the later gameplay or story.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline mxlm

Do I look like a CDP:R employee to you?

You can play those events in order or not, they describe a very short sequence of events so it doesn't really impact the later gameplay or story.

It very much does impact the learning curve, though.

Also, the 360 version is now official, so if you don't have a computer that can run it, do not despair.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline Mikes

Yeah Phatose... and Planescape sucked because of the combat system too. :)

I've heard that line before, and never actually understood it.  Torment's combat is Baldur's Gate combat, and nobody ever seems to think Baldur's Gate combat sucked.

At any rate, Torment had the foresight to make Nameless stupidly overpowered and completely immortal, so even if you hated the combat it wasn't more then a minor chore.  Witcher sure as hell doesn't do that.