Author Topic: YES (Homeworld)  (Read 4663 times)

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I wanted a Qwaar-Jet
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
This is a great idea! They should take it one step closer to perfection by cutting HW2

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
This is a great idea! They should take it one step closer to perfection by cutting HW2

hater :P

Though the original was by far the superior game.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
At first I thought it was about the soundtrack.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I had some fun with HW2 :(

Using a carrier to Shock Jump a DESRON on top of an unsuspecting Vagyr force was always fun.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Best part of HW2 is probably the Complex Mod. I haven't played in a while, though; I wonder if there'll be a version for the Remastered edition?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
No Cataclysm! :( :( :(
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.

Pity, Cataclysm is by far the game that would most benefit from a cosmetic overhaul.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Luis Dias

:yes:

I am also sad viz a viz Cataclysm. But my hopes on that were exactly nil anyways.

Y U no release date? Come oooooooOOOOn.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
I don't have anything solid to point to on this, but -rumor- has had it that their remastered/HD will be "Comprehensive" to including Cataclysm rather than it being it's own "Standalone", since Cataclysm was originally intended to be installable as an expansion to the original.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Heh, looks good, and I'd be tempted to pay $100 for the Collectors edition with the larger Mothership model in it.

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
They seem open to feedback, so if you ask about Cataclysm enough, I'm sure they'll give a definitive answer (if they haven't already)

Offline Luis Dias

Cataclysm IP was owned by a different company IIRC. Asking them would be ok I think. (I'll try via twitter)

i just had a horrible, horrible thought

what if they decide to 'rebalance' hw1 and make salvaging less hilariously overpowered
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
i just had a horrible, horrible thought

what if they decide to 'rebalance' hw1 and make salvaging less hilariously overpowered

Then I, for one, won't buy it.

The beauty of the original Homeworld was precisely that kind of flexibility instead of the artificial restrictions placed on you in the second game.  It made perfect plot sense that - if you were clever - instead of beating your way through the enemy forces, you could carefully and tactically take our some of their forces and save the most valuable ships for your own use.  If a civilization is making its way across the galaxy, you have to expect their fleet is going to expand beyond artificial limits.

HW2 got this completely wrong by enforcing fleet limits on salvage, and was much the poorer game for it.

In summary:  MBFs for the win.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
Well, I don't think he means "arbitrary cap on salvaging." I think he means "AI will respond appropriately to salvage corvettes and blow them up instead of shooting at them for a while and then getting confused."

Maybe a short period in which the target ship can shake off the salvage corvette if it's big enough? I don't know. Either way, there's a lot of ways to make salvettes less OP.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Grand Theft Taiidan

All your Qwaar-Jet they belong to us.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
If I can't play Grand Theft Starship, I don't want to play the game.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story