Author Topic: Thief reboot / Bioshock Infinite - game theory =)  (Read 11843 times)

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Thief reboot / Bioshock Infinite - game theory =)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 05:01:35 pm by MP-Ryan »
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Re: Sounds like the new Thief reboot is pretty much crap
It's not a reboot. It is a sequel to Deadly Shadows in all but name.

Rock Paper Shotgun wrote a rather positive review. Errant Signal did a thoughfull video on why reviews are so mixed.

Offline Luis Dias

i also saw the errant signal review. so yeah it's a crap game who cares. lots of crap in the world lets not even talk about that TMNT new trailer oh wait.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Was watching a stream of it that basically showed that this game has gorgeous art direction, some questionable gameplay decision, and somewhat dire writing.

I think playing Dishonored again might be the better decision.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
The Errant Signal review (which I just watched) was well done.  And yeah, still tells me not to buy it.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
RPS liked this enough that I'd quite like to grab it on Steam sale and give it a spin.

Offline Sololop

Having played the game with my roommate, I'd say it really isn't worth your time.

More importantly, it's been totally forgotten about a fortnight after its release. I can't see the franchise continuing given Square Enix's notoriously demanding sales expectations.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter

Never played it... worth adding to my Steam wishlist?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

What, Christ, yes

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

definatly
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
My sister thinks it's a fun game. I think it's too simple, especially compared to the older Thief games.
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter

What, Christ, yes

OK, OK... it also had mixed reviews so I wasn't entirely sure :)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
There are games that have mixed reviews because they're mediocre, and games that have mixed reviews because they're ambitious and interesting and nobody quite agrees on whether they pull it off.

Where are you getting your reviews from? Some kind of aggregator? Game reviews are Really Really Bad and game players are generally inarticulate idiots who don't understand why they react the way they do, so this may not be a super great diagnostic technique.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
OK, OK... it also had mixed reviews so I wasn't entirely sure :)

This is because the gaming public is not terribly good at concepts like storytelling.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Dishonoured's storytelling was, uh, questionable in several places (it's still well worth it for the gameplay alone though).
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Honestly I don't think I'd trust Yahtzee's videos too much in terms of a blanket judgement on a particular game.  I haven't watched his stuff for a long time, but I know there were multiple reviews in the past where I felt like he was laser-focused on one negative aspect of a game in lieu of other positive ones, or was viewing a whole game in a much harsher light than it deserved.  At the end of the day he's a comedy writer, and his shtick is to go balls-in and bash the hell out of a game for humorous purposes.  It's fun, but I don't put much stock in him beyond that.

At the end of the day he's a comedy writer, and his shtick is to go balls-in and bash the hell out of a game for humorous purposes.  It's fun, but I don't put much stock in him beyond that.

I agree with this. If you want a quality look at a game, ask TotalBiscuit, among others.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
There are games that have mixed reviews because they're mediocre, and games that have mixed reviews because they're ambitious and interesting and nobody quite agrees on whether they pull it off.

Where are you getting your reviews from? Some kind of aggregator? Game reviews are Really Really Bad and game players are generally inarticulate idiots who don't understand why they react the way they do, so this may not be a super great diagnostic technique.

Mostly general public reaction, ZP, RPS, etc.  I generally don't put a of of stock in reviews from people I don't know and trust (example:  Errant Signal gave Bioshock Infinite a terrible review for reasons that I think he missed the context of and I put BI in my top 10 games ever made), but Dishonored was one of those titles I didn't hear much about from anyone, and what I did hear was contradictory.

However, I usually don't get around to playing games until a year or more after release (if singleplayer only, anyway) and therefore I usually have ample time t gauge if I'll like it or not.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I'm honestly shocked you didn't hear much about Dishonored, it got a ton of coverage on RPS and huge buzz for being (finally) a spiritual successor to Thief and its ilk.

I thought it was quite good and its flaws were excused by its strengths, but then again I thought BSI was one of the most disappointingly vapid games ever made, so we may diverge on this point  :nervous: