Author Topic: What animes/series are you watching right now?  (Read 305153 times)

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Re: What animes/series are you watching right now?
Wow, that was a fun Iron Blood Orphans episode.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

I just finished Planetes. It's really good, you guys. If a drama about space debris collectors sounds even remotely interesting, look it up. It's good. Way better than it sounds, actually, now that I think about it.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yus, that.

Ahhh, I completely forgot that shows name. I was going to watch that at some point.

Well, I watched Kill la Kill, which was awesome. All you have to do is get past the absurd fanservice, and the series is silly, funny, action-packed, and overall fantastic. It's been recommended here before, but I'm throwing in mine with the rest. But the fanservice is indeed absurd, you might have trouble watching it with anybody around if you get embarrassed at all about such things...

And after that, I just finished Yuki Yuna is a Hero (Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru). It starts off fairly predictably, but goes in an unexpected direction and ultimately spends less than half of the series in "magical girl mode". It may surprise you! It surprised me, and I'm not ashamed to admit that manly tears were shed.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
A lot of series do fan service in such a way you feel like you're watching awkward pubescent wet dreams, Kill la Kill wears sexuality with such utter brazenness and so few ****s given it just elevates itself past even being an issue. 
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

It's typical Gainax/Trigger behavior: if you're going to do something, go so completely over-the-top with it that the only thing onlookers can feel is stunned amazement that you just did that.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
One Punch Man.

I had to go back a whole page to find this? what is this thread even for?
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Just finished Hataraku Maou-Sama!

It seems that the creators wanted to make a more action packed series but got a comedy one. Instead of despairing about it, they decided to make every action moment they got the stuff of legends, logic be damned. Seriously, listen to this piece. You could dub this over a trip to the bathroom and it would still be epic.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 11:46:22 am by Ghostavo »
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

That latest Iron Blooded Orphan's episode was really good.

I like how the series has a very low amount of melodramatic's during battle's. But I just wonder how they will fit the whole story into the allotted series length. It feels like it's still in the opening stages of the plot even thought it's 11 episodes in, which is worrying.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Just finished Patlabor's TV series.

Really wish I'd seen it before.

Rewatching Bubblegum Crisis 2033. Still pissed I won't ever get Priss performing Edge of Glory.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
Dimension W:
A new dimension called W has been found, and that provides infinite energy and problems. Rohbutt and good action. MC is cool too, 'nuff said.

Musaigen no Phantom World:
Mass virus has changed every human brain so that people can see odd ghosts (phantoms). Since some of them are not that nice kids with special powers (because of that virus) fight (every now and then) against them.
Visuals are nice and girls are cute.
Habeeb it...

Gundam IBO and Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood.

I'm not sure someone here mentioned The Expanse. A brilliant new series by SyFy that combines elements of space opera, political thriller and detective story. Best elements of Firefly and Game of Thrones in one series. An interesting lore and great story intrigued me so much that I started watching season one at 10pm... and finished at 10 am next morning :). A mandatory position for any Freespace and other sci-fi fan.

Arrrrrr.

Black Sails season 3. Brilliant show. Makes me want to replay the AC IV

I'm not sure someone here mentioned The Expanse. A brilliant new series by SyFy that combines elements of space opera, political thriller and detective story. Best elements of Firefly and Game of Thrones in one series. An interesting lore and great story intrigued me so much that I started watching season one at 10pm... and finished at 10 am next morning :). A mandatory position for any Freespace and other sci-fi fan.

I read Leviathan Wakes (the first book in the Expanse series) and immediately looked to see if there was a movie being made. I saw back then that it was in production as a series! I have not watched it yet. Is the entire first (only?) season streaming somewhere? I'm looking forward to binging.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Just watched the trailer.

It's got thingybob from breaking bad on it.

Win.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I am also very interested to hear how The Expanse Show turns out

The books are not of consistent quality ... it feels like to osciliating in a way, though I can't point my finger at the precise intervalls (its not exactly per book) ... and that might translate really bad into TV...

Gundam IBO and Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood.

I recently watched Full Metal Alchemist and Brotherhood appeared on Netflix at the same time, but from the descriptions I cannot yet see a difference... Is there a point to watching it right away or should I save it for a rainy day when I feel like rewatching the original?
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
The original Fullmetal Alchemist has a number of filler episodes after episode 3, and eventually catches up to and outstrips the manga, which was still being written at the time.  Instead of going the route of many other anime series, rather than waiting and producing more filler they just made up their own ending.  It was significantly different.

Brotherhood follows the manga significantly more closely, is more recent, has higher production values, and has almost exactly zero filler episodes.  Brotherhood is some good **** yo.

Offline watsisname

Yes, Brotherhood is freaking fantastic.  Probably my favorite anime of all time.  And, actually, I never finished watching the original.  I should do that.

I was fairly excited for the Expanse, but found myself giving up on it a few episodes in.  Flat characters and I didn't find the side-stories very interesting.  It's got fantastic visuals though.  And grunge.  I'll probably give it another try.

One Punch Man.

I had to go back a whole page to find this? what is this thread even for?

**** YEAH THAT'S WHAT THIS THREAD SHOULD BE FOR.  I'm watching one episode a week with my club and we're on the final episode this week.  HOLY ****, BOROS.  NO SPOILERS YOU TWATS.
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.