Author Topic: RELEASE: The Aftermath Reboot  (Read 162942 times)

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Re: RELEASE: The Aftermath Reboot
Yeah, he is making a sequel.

I also like this one - there is a lot of work put into graphics and while the plot is strange at some moments and many missions aren't really made well, there are just as many that work fine and are enjoyable.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

One thing I think he did really well were the massive, large-scale battles. I've never seen so many cap ships and fighters firing at one another at the same time. And it rarely ever feels overwhelming, either, since despite the enormous numbers, your wingmen tend to be pretty capable in dispatching them.

Also, just how the general scope and scale of things gets crazier and crazier as the game goes on. The mission where you defend the....Warlock, I think it was called? using that special ship I forget the name of, where you down like 50+ Shivan cap ships single-handedly, at extreme distances too....it was incredible.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Quick question - is this campaign listed in the Wiki anywhere?
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Mito [PL]

A quick search through the campaign list... no results. I think it's safe to assume it's not listed on the Wiki, then. Neither is it included in this list too.
However, it is listed and available through Knossos, in the "Explore" tab.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

I was told that most project heads were contacted by the HLP staff at some point whether they could have more media coverage (or atleast an entry on the wiki) for their projects here, but I think that was while Herkie was away.

Offline Mito [PL]

Mhm, that seems like it's the case here. Well, I suppose Herkie reads this topic, it might get his attention. I'll probably ask in the campaign list topic to include this campaign there, if I didn't do it yet. There also seems to be a couple gameplay videos on Youtube, maybe a ceratin Ilain Baker (I probably typod the hell out of this name) would be interested in them.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

I hope so. But Exile for example doesn't have a Wiki article too.

I'll probably ask in the campaign list topic to include this campaign there, if I didn't do it yet.

Good. :) Iain Baker is the one responsible for HLPs social media right now, though I don't see a YT channel in the navbar yet. Here's another related thread: https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=95266.0

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
... In the Adhara Exodus's case, I can usually do well and keep the Damascus up to 60-80% integrity until near the end, where the final few waves of enemies come in, one of them being Taurvi bombers. This part threw me off the first few times as at this point, the Damascus would get utterly obliterated, and I couldn't figure out what was doing so much damage to it. Certainly not the larger, slower Shivan bombs that you can shoot down. But this time, I realized they were firing much smaller, faster missiles at it that were doing like 5% damage a pop. At least, I think it was the Taurvis that were firing those? I think there were 2 or 3 Taurvis left, I was facing the Damascus and trying to figure out what was damaging it so much, and saw those flying into it from behind me.

So maybe not so luck based after all, just gotta figure out what enemy wing is shooting those missiles... Haha, truth be told I'm not the best FS player, maybe because I don't use the mouse for movement...Ever since I was a kid, I always played using the numpad. Mouse movement lets you aim easier, but it also makes it much slower to turn around, at least for me, even with the sensitivity at max. :P Never had a joystick either..

Anyway...phenomenal work on this campaign, again, it is a joy to play. I read in a post up above you're making a sequel? :D

Thanks. I'm glad you liked it. Just some hints: Closer to the end of the "Adhara Exodus," a squadron of Maras packing trebuchets will jump in and target the Damascus. They do not jump in as a group but scattered all over. They will be coming at the starboard side of Damascus just above the Lucifer destyroyer. You have a little more than a minute before those trebuchets are loose and the Tuarvis on the left are a diversion, don't pay attention to them. It is a Shivan tactic. You don't have to destroy them all which is impossible but if you manage to disrupt or take out 6 of them, the Damascus MIGHT survive. I say "Might" because it will depend on how it fared early in the mission. Another hint, forget the fighters or capital ships and focus on those torpedoes. Oh, yes, there is a random event that Seraphim bombers will jump in and this is bad news.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 12:42:51 am by herkie423 »

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
I was told that most project heads were contacted by the HLP staff at some point whether they could have more media coverage (or atleast an entry on the wiki) for their projects here, but I think that was while Herkie was away.

They haven't contacted me yet. checked my inbox and I did not receive any message about it. But it's fine really.

Offline Iido

Hey, this is Iido, made a different account.

Anyway, uh...

It wasn't The Adhara Exodus that gave me so much trouble on my first run. It was the act 8 mission, "Enterprise in Danger". Guess I got 'em confused since they are kinda similar haha.

Really, it's not hard until near the end, when the Moloch, Ravana, and tons of bombers all start swarming you at once. That's when its hull just plummets and I usually lose, which is infuriating after spending like 10+ mins getting that far. XD To be fair though it IS a late game mission, so I can understand the increase in challenge, but yeah, that part's really tough for me lol. I'm just not sure if I should be focusing on the Moloch and Ravana as soon as they appear, or the bombers...but I think the bombers are doing the biggest damage. I have a bit of time before the Ravana gets in range anyway, right?

Up until then I can do pretty well by just using Widowmaker missiles to down incoming bomber wings, constantly resupplying myself with the support ship.

EDIT: Past that mission again. After a couple more attempts, it...suddenly went really well. I took out the Moloch's beams ASAP, but the bomber raids seemed less...intense than the previous few attempts. I guess I had destroyed more than I realized prior to the Moloch warping in. XD

Also just got past The Hornet's Nest again, another mission that gave me a lot of trouble. All of this on Medium, still. I guess I'm getting a lot better than I was before :D
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 01:25:32 pm by Iido »

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
The hint in that mission, "Enterprise in Danger," is to keep watch of that Ravana and Moloch. If their beams are not eliminated quickly, they can shave off 30% to 40% hit points from the Enterprise. The bombers alone, though more than a hundred of them can't do much harm by themselves. If the Ravana and Moloch are neutralized and the Enterprise is still at around 75%, it is fine but much below that is definitely bad news.

Offline CT27

Herkie, you might want to check the status of this campaign on Knossos.  Last I checked, they still had the original ending "V1" up there.  You might want to get the new canon ending "V2" up there.

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
Herkie, you might want to check the status of this campaign on Knossos.  Last I checked, they still had the original ending "V1" up there.  You might want to get the new canon ending "V2" up there.

Yeah. Who will I contact about this?

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Is this on knossos?   I can't check as I'm away from my laptop. .

Thank you in advance x
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Thanks  :yes: :yes:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline CT27

https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=94068.0

Herkie, here is the Knossos topic.  I don't know how to update one's campaign there, but I would suggest to PM Ngid or mjn from that thread.

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=94068.0

Herkie, here is the Knossos topic.  I don't know how to update one's campaign there, but I would suggest to PM Ngid or mjn from that thread.

Thanks CT...

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
ATTENTION PILOTS:

There will be another update which will be relaesed at the same time as "The Aftermath 2: The Blue Guardian."

I made many minor adjustments and corrections.

Offline hoo00

I am using Knossos. In the mission “with their pants down”, the *captain* was not impressed even though my num-kills is over fifty. :mad:

The num_kills sexps does not work in #Debriefing_info.

Solution:
I created a "kill a lot" event to take care of things.  :D

#Events

$Formula: ( when
   ( > ( num_kills "Alpha 2" ) 19 )
   ( do-nothing )
)
+Name: kill a lot
+Repeat Count: 1
+Interval: 1

#Debriefing_info

$Formula: ( is-event-true-delay