Author Topic: Strike Class Cruiser  (Read 25590 times)

I measured it so that there is  enough room for someone to stand up in it, with room for the bulkheads and equipement and whatever. Chief, that's not its correct texture, so it'll look different once it's done. Possibly look more detailed.

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Yeah, pcs2 or the collada exporter likes to screw up the texture slots, so that's why it looks like that. Anyway, I just wanted to make sure the size is intentional; I think it's within realistic bounds (whatever that means in this context), and you're unlikely to see a fighter parked right next to the bridge during regular gameplay anyway.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I thought it was just a temp texture.  The mesh itself seems a bit low, but a proper texture could bring it to life, so I'll wait and see what you guys cook up :)
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Yeah, pcs2 or the collada exporter likes to screw up the texture slots, so that's why it looks like that. Anyway, I just wanted to make sure the size is intentional; I think it's within realistic bounds (whatever that means in this context), and you're unlikely to see a fighter parked right next to the bridge during regular gameplay anyway.

No, but you might see the occasional A-Wing fly through it...

Offline zookeeper

Ok, the ship's almost done. Some notes:

1. There's now a communications subsystem behind the bridge (that grid of blocks), with a -destroyed model too.
2. The front bay is a fighterbay, the rear bay doesn't have anything to it atm.
3. No dockpoints since I didn't really know where exactly to put them. Are those needed for the fighterbay in the first place?
4. I made the hull plating a separate subobject in case we want to make it more durable and thus encourage the player to aim for the softer bits. Currently it just transfers all damage to the main hull.

The only thing still remaining is paths for all subsystems (the only ones I did were fighterbay paths). Unless someone volunteers to do them, I suggest just leaving them out and seeing how things work without them.

However, there's one annoying issue: the turrets are difficult to hit. I've got their hitpoints set so that I can blow one up with two shots, but quite often, especially when shooting from straight above, the hits just don't register. Although it probably could be fixed by tweaking the turret models (detach the pods the turrets are mounted on into separate subobjects and then linking the turrets to them, making them share damage with each other), I'd really like it if there was a better solution, like for example using an orb subsystem for hit detection (which I tried, but didn't get to work). Anyone got any ideas?

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
The dockpoints are needed if you want to have the fighters appear docked in the fighter bay, otherwise, no.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
I haven't been able to experience it myself, but having hard to hit, but if hut they're down for the count tourets sounds kind of cool on paper, and encourages the player to strafe the target with a spread of shots, as opposed to flying at it needing several hits to take down.

Maybe the hull plating subobject is interfering with the touret..

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Are the turrets within the bounding box of detail0?  Any part that extends beyond it will tend to have no collision detection.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline zookeeper

Done and committed. The only things missing are subsystem paths except for fighterbay paths which I've wired in along with a docking path for the rear bay.

I put 12 docking points in the fighterbay (6 on the floor, 6 on the roof) and just 1 in the rear bay, which looks like a bay for bigger stuff. It easily holds a DX-9 Stormtrooper Transport (could actually fit 4 of those in there if we added more docking points) and could probably hold something like an AT-AT barge as well.

For some reason engine wash didn't seem to be working. I didn't test if it's just this ship or all of them, though.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Yay! It's been committed! Yay! :D
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Calm down TopAce, or someone might think _you_ need to be committed ;)

Offline zookeeper

I committed a slightly tweaked version yesterday. The targeting bracket bounding box issue should now be fixed, and I've revised the fighter hangar in the following way:

It's now just a regular fighterbay, capable of launching 6 fighters at once. However, we still have to figure out a way to cap the speed of fighters when they're flying out after arriving through the bay, because currently they accelerate way too quickly and end up crashing to each other and/or flying through the sensors because the space is so limited. It doesn't seem like there's a clean and reusable FREDding solution to that, so maybe we'll have to make a feature request.

I also spent a lot of time coming up with a TIE rack system so we could have modelled racks from which TIEs could be launched. However, even after spending hours and hours on it, I found no way to make undocking fighters properly obey their docking path, which made it impossible for TIEs docked in the hangar's ceiling to be able to fly out without cutting through the hangar's walls. Therefore, I've scrapped the whole idea of TIE racks both for this ship and the Dreadnaught and we'll just be having regular fighterbays, since those seem to work pretty nicely. Therefore there's no docking points at all in the forward hangar anymore.

It's now just a regular fighterbay, capable of launching 6 fighters at once. However, we still have to figure out a way to cap the speed of fighters when they're flying out after arriving through the bay, because currently they accelerate way too quickly and end up crashing to each other and/or flying through the sensors because the space is so limited. It doesn't seem like there's a clean and reusable FREDding solution to that, so maybe we'll have to make a feature request.

I might be speaking out of turn on this, so please forgive me if I am.

I watch two projects here.  FotG is obviously one.  Diaspora is the other.  Recalling their videos, The have a rack mount system set up on the Cylon Basestars that launch the Raiders.  I know they were having issues with it at one point but I think they resolved it.  You might be able to poke one of them about this.

Offline newman

You mean issues like these? :P Yea I think that was fixed. Don't ask me how, though.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
You mean issues like these? :P Yea I think that was fixed. Don't ask me how, though.

We NJP'd all those pilots asses' down to swabbing out Battlestar latrines and trained up some better ones.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Any ideas for Strike variants? I'm thinking some kind of tanker varient with fuel cylinders. Maybe an orbital assault version, with a shuttle bay and some big guns.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Orbit to surface bombardment package. 

Think AC-130.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
I like both of those ideas--a version with a heavy turbo battery in place of the fighter bay would be especially nice because it would allow the ship to challenge a heavy cruiser, but they player would still realistically be able to pull its teeth.  You could also try a scout or AWACS approach with massive sensor and communications arrays in place of the bay (think of the ISD tower equipment for reference).

I like those ideas. I'll start making one tonight (I'm on the night shift :( ) The orbital bombardment package could make for a cool mission. You could have a far away and invisible ship that's invisible and untargetable, and a big planet right behind it. Then have some strike class cruisers and a SD bombard the object. Or something. Your job as the pilot would be to patrol the perimeter and catch runners. It would look something like this, but with different ships:

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Do you think that you'll create the Peregrine-Variant (the one with gravity well generators) from X-Wing vs TIE Fighter: Balance of Power?
Audio Converter of Enigma Campaign 2666:
http://enigma.de.to/

German translator of WC: Hostile Frontier:
http://www.ciinet.org/kevin/wchf/

My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/FekLeyrTarg?feature=mhee