Author Topic: Freespace Upgrade 4.3.x Discussion Thread  (Read 6406 times)

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Re: Freespace Upgrade 4.3.x Discussion Thread
Awww **** what the hell is going on here...

As I know life, I screwed something up. Will be investigated.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Tarvis

It's just happening because parts of the debris meshes are nearly identical to the regular ship mesh, so the faces occupy the exact same space causing that z-fighting effect when the renderer can't decide which one should be drawn.
A lazy fix would be to just shift the whole debris model to the side by a very small amount if you don't want to go back and modify the meshes

Offline Korl

Heya peoples.
Long story short: A buddy of mine tossed the game and mod at me and now I have stumbled into a small, well... actually a rather big problem.

I am in the mission where you get to fly the Perseus for the first time and have to intercept the bombers torpedos before they hit the station.
Problem is, the torpedos don't seem to have a hitbox. I can not destroy them. Lasers, missiles, and even my own fighter just phase through them and don't connect.
They still impact the station though.

I quickly started up the vanilla version and there I can hit the torpedos just fine. They got quite the generous hitbox there.

Right now the MediaVP version 4.3 last update 2020-08-07 on Knossos has indestructible Cyclops torpedos.

Is anyone else able to confirm or maybe even fix this?  Thanks  :)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Wow Korl I never thought I'd see you again after The Walking Dead

Right now the MediaVP version 4.3 last update 2020-08-07 on Knossos has indestructible Cyclops torpedos.

Is anyone else able to confirm or maybe even fix this?  Thanks  :)

Looking at mv_effects-wep.tbm, all big secondary weapons (not only Cyclops but also Helios and Rebel Bomb) only have a "particle spew" flag, so not only the "bomb" flag is missing (which allows them to be shot down) but the "player allowed" and damage levels flags too.

Offline EatThePath

• Laser Lich
    • Twitter
That's not the issue Nightmare, they inherit those other flags from the original versions of the weapons.

Korl, can you tell us what version of the engine is being launched for you? You can see it in the bottom center of the pilot select screen and bottom left of the main hall. Just a screenshot of either of those places would do nicely if it is too long to easily transcribe. If you don't have a way that works better for you, you can take screenshots by hitting the printscreen key ingame and then find them by clicking the picture button above and to the right of the mod listings in knossos.
Name your damn turrets and sounds! Numbers alone aren't helpful!
"if disco is dead then I am the laser lich"
"...[Warmachine] keeps changing as fast as EatThePath can force the engine to do his dark bidding..."

Offline Korl

That would be
V20.1.0.2020103131_C4DA36DF5

[attachment deleted by admin]

That's a bug that was introduced in a nightly build a few days ago. It should be fixed within a day but until then... the easiest solution would be to tell Knossos to use the nightly from the 29th. Unfortunately I can't walk you through the steps for this but hopefully someone else can.

(If anyone's wondering, in the medium term this will be fixed when the SCP and FSU are able to get the MVPs back onto the next stable build later this year, and going forward it's clear there needs to be a policy of avoiding nightlies for released mods, especially the MVPs.)
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Missile hitbox sizes being broken is a thing in a couple recent nightly builds (that newest MediaVPs require). IMO, just roll back to some less recent one, here's how to do it:

In Knossos, enter the settings menu (gear symbol in topright corner), section "Knossos", mark the "Show builds in mod list" checkbox, change "Preferred engine stability" to Nightlies if it isn't set to that, hit save and enter the Explore tab. Navigate to FSO mod, details, choose an older version in the topleft corner, I'd suggest something dating about a month back (release dates are in the build names), then after selecting it, hit "install" and once it's done, navigate to MediaVPs -> details -> FSO Settings and choose the build you downloaded there.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
In the new cb_sm2-01_a.ani the NTC Camisard is incorrectly displayed as a leviathan when it was originally shown as an Aeolus.

Surprised no one caught this yet.
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The original really just shows a small red horizontal blip. I always assumed it was a levi, personally. I was unaware that people generally thought it was an aeolus.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
Yeah, I is pretty ambiguous, it does look more like an aeolus though.

Also sorry if that came off as harsh, I forgot to put the "/s" at the end of "Surprised no one caught this yet".
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

I'm getting a debug message when loading the Sathanas in FRED:
Code: [Select]
Warning: Submodel 'turret49' of model 'Sathanas.pof' has an improperly formatted $fvec declaration in its properties.
$fvec should be followed by 3 numbers separated with commas.
(same for turret 50)

These seem to be flak turrets. I don't know if that affects the Sath's behavior against incoming fighters/bombers or if it can be safely ignored?