Author Topic: Upgrade or waste of time?  (Read 5430 times)

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Re: Upgrade or waste of time?
Well i agree with aldo, 15 - 20 gb and according to the box of it HMV for the home premium it recommends 40gb!! is complete bonkers and yeah i don't get the TV ads as well. doesn't tell you anything.

As said i wont upgrade to Vista till prob the end of the year. but as i say i was just mainly wanting to know about getting a smooth ride for SC, so i have decided to go for a X2 CPU at the end of the month.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Well i agree with aldo, 15 - 20 gb and according to the box of it HMV for the home premium it recommends 40gb!! is complete bonkers and yeah i don't get the TV ads as well. doesn't tell you anything.

Has anyone actually looked at what content gets installed when you do this? I'm sure there's a way to slim it down and get rid of all the un-needed stuff?

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
I have no reason to spend the money on Vista until I upgrade to DX10 anyway. A shame I'll be paying more for this piece of software than for many of the pieces of hardware I'll need to buy.
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
As said i wont upgrade to Vista till prob the end of the year. but as i say i was just mainly wanting to know about getting a smooth ride for SC, so i have decided to go for a X2 CPU at the end of the month.

I'd check what the price-performance difference is between the AMD X2 and, say, and Intel C2D E6300 & an interm ASRock 775Dual-VSTA motherboard.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline neoterran

don't buy an X2 at this point in time. It's not as good of a chip as a Core 2 Duo.
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
don't buy an X2 at this point in time. It's not as good of a chip as a Core 2 Duo.

cheaper, though....

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
i would love to be able to buy one but my funding at the moment is low, with moving house etc, so i can only afford either a processor or motherboard not both. so until i have got more money ie a better paid job(which could be difficult in dumfries, jobs are only parttime here) i will just have to go for the cheaper option and get the X2, then i will save for a new base unit for Xmas cos with all the recent complaints of vista crashing games left, right and center it will be something like next year before i go for it. They might have the bugs sorted by them  :nervous:
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
You mean Nvidia and ATi might have decent drivers by then. (Its more an issue of drivers than vista itself, but vista's new setup is what requires the new kind of drivers that the companies havent gotten good at making yet)
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

ATi's 7.1 drivers for Vista are actually quite good.  In a strange reversal, Nvidia's drivers for Vista are pretty much crap while ATi has functional and quick drivers.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
The 7.1's aren't actually all that good. I mean, for windowed DX they're great, but OGl crashes, and fulls creen DX is hit or miss on my HIS 1950XT.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline neoterran

it really sucks when people have shelled out so much for such expensive hardware too.
Chief Grognard.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
The last review I read of Vista indicated it was effectively a beta piece of software.  apparently, aside from bad drivers, you can't do things like turn off the security centre or set Firefox as default browser.

Offline neoterran

The last review I read of Vista indicated it was effectively a beta piece of software.  apparently, aside from bad drivers, you can't do things like turn off the security centre or set Firefox as default browser.

Well, that's just completely wrong on both counts, lol.
Chief Grognard.

Wow, where did you read that?  I can't believe the amount of misinformation about Vista that's out there >_>

The 7.1's aren't actually all that good. I mean, for windowed DX they're great, but OGl crashes, and fulls creen DX is hit or miss on my HIS 1950XT.
Hmm, well, I don't have an x1950 but only a 9600 so I can't exactly say I'm straining the drivers.  They do run great though Windowed or not.  OGL performance... is bad and I've heard reports of graphics corruption (although I haven't encountered that).  You're referring to Vista right?  7.1 for Vista are pretty much a different set of drivers from what I've heard (unconfirmed).

I'll just put a few choice tidbits.

Indeed, Aero looks nearly as good as KDE, although it demands about three times the system resources
It runs on GMA950.  That's heavy hardware there.  No, the only "unreasonable" demand is DX9 class.  I think it has something to do with the Games for Windows initiative that they're trying to get everyone up to a minimum level (DX10 doesn't so much add features but that the internals are much more efficient).

The new Vista start menu is not my cup of tea. Instead of an expanding menu, it has a scrolling menu, which makes it more difficult to find the programs you want to launch. It also requires two steps; first you must click on a button to show more programs than IE, and then you have to scroll through the list, which is too long to be taken in at a glance.
Eh?  Didn't you have to click Start, then Programs in the Win95-win2k Start menu?  BS.

Scrolling is also nice when you have a bajillion items in the start menu like some people do because you can use the scroll wheel.  It'll also hold your place until you close the Start Menu.

Finally if he's so pro-Mac and all then why isn't he using the instant search instead?  You want to start Remote Desktop Client?  Windows => "remote" => [enter]

Far too much space is wasted on links to documents, music, movies, games, etc. I always keep an icon for Windows Explorer on my desktop, and have no trouble finding these things whenever I please. I use the start menu to launch programs that I don't launch often enough to be worth linking on my desktop. I want the start menu to be quick; I don't want to waste time with it, being invited to do things that I can do more easily via other means.
Right, it's there and off to the left.  That's somehow getting in the way?  Grasping for straws.

(Mercifully, Microsoft has dropped its condescending "My" obsession, and directories are now given grownup names like Computer, Documents, Pictures, and so on. And not a moment too soon.)
Agreed.

Next, there's the Flip-3D feature, which gives you a moving Rolodex view of your open windows. When the one you want comes into view, you stop flipping at that point and it opens for you. Unfortunately, there seems not to be a reverse feature on this little merry-go-round, so if you miss your stop, round you go again. I wonder when I might ever find it useful, as I rarely have enough windows open to make a challenge out of finding whatever I want in the taskbar. I rather think it's there merely because it's "cool". And I'll confess; I've played with it a few times. I've never used it, mind, but I have fiddled. And it is rather cool, actually. And pretty useless.
I find Flip3D absolutely useless; I wish MS copied Expose.

But it's as if he's never used Windows before.  Hold Shift to reverse the direction when you press tab.  You can also use the mouse wheel.

Here's how mine went. First, my computer is intolerably noisy all of a sudden. The fan on my graphics card (nVidia GeForce 7900) now runs continuously. It's supposed to come on to cool things as needed, but now it never shuts off. Probably, it's a device driver problem. Or possibly, the Aqua Aero desktop uses so much of the card's resources that the fan simply has to run continuously. In any event, I'm not listening to this bloody thing for much longer. When my Vista reviews are finished, I'm going back to a dual-boot Linux/XP system.
Or maybe it's the drivers.  Too bad Nvidia has severely dropped the ball.

Likewise with the Creative problem.  Creative makes horrid drivers since forever.

Now for another little irritant: immortal craplets. There are two. One is the Vista Security Centre. I have disabled it. I have shut it off in Services. I have tried to shut it off in Msconfig. It won't die. Every time I boot, the craplet pops up and demands to be enabled. But if it really is disabled, then why am I seeing the bloody thing? And there's another immortal craplet: one that tells you that you've "disabled important startup programs", like the Security Centre, for example. I've tried to kill this ridiculous thing too, with no joy.
You can turn it off in the obvious place:Security Center itself.  On the left column, "Change the way Security Center Alerts Me".  Same way you do it in XP.  I guess he's not as much a power user as he thought.

And how about a few decent utilities? Yes, thank you for the DVD burner and thank you for the screenshot tool, and for the very basic photo and movie editing kit. But how about a decent text editor, for God's sake? Would it be so difficult to give it a little of the magic that Kwrite has got? A spell checker perhaps? The ability to clean spaces? A little colour-coded action for us HTML homebrewers, so we can see simple typos, like forgetting to close a tag? Is that too much to ask?
Trap.  If MS had included a mini-Word, let the litigations begin.

And how about a little encryption software? For email, and for individual files. Oh, Bitlocker is fine, but there are files one doesn't want decrypted whenever the volume they're on is mounted. Is that too much to ask?
Does this guy really work with Windows?  Has he not heard of NTFS encryption?  Which works per file?  Which was present for a LONG time.

And there's more. Little things, really. Firefox is unable to make itself the default browser
Try upgrading to 2.0.  It was a known bug in Firefox and they've fixed it.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 11:17:11 am by ChronoReverse »