Author Topic: RELEASE - Wings of Dawn: Stranded  (Read 74435 times)

Re: RELEASE - Wings of Dawn: Stranded
You're assuming we know off the number of missions off the tops of our heads, when in fact I know I'd have to open up the .VP file or load up FSO to check the tech room.  By the way, that last one is a perfectly valid option for you if you use Ctrl+Shift+S.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 03:52:44 pm by Spoon »
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
You morons, would it hurt you to step off your ****ing pedestals and answer the damn question in a way that is not unbelievably dickish?

Here, I'll even give you a template for the correct way to answer this query:
Stranded is an __-mission campaign. If you want to know how to find this out yourself, you can either open up the VP and check the missions there, or Start the campaign, and press Ctrl-Shift-S in the techroom's mission simulator; this will show you a list of all missions. Have fun!

See? Is that so ****ing hard?

Also, if you don't know the bloody answer, why do you think it's a good idea to post some nonsense instead?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 03:51:41 pm by Spoon »
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Lorric

You morons, would it hurt you to step off your ****ing pedestals and answer the damn question in a way that is not unbelievably dickish?

Here, I'll even give you a template for the correct way to answer this query:
Stranded is an __-mission campaign. If you want to know how to find this out yourself, you can either open up the VP and check the missions there, or Start the campaign, and press Ctrl-Shift-S in the techroom's mission simulator; this will show you a list of all missions. Have fun!

See? Is that so ****ing hard?

Also, if you don't know the bloody answer, why do you think it's a good idea to post some nonsense instead?

Thank you. Truly.

Also I did not know about Ctrl-Shift-S. I thought you had to beat the campaign in order to know. Or look in the VP file of course, but I did not expect the people here would demand I do so.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 03:51:58 pm by Spoon »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Since you learned how to check for yourself, I'd call this a productive line of discourse!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I am in fact sick and tired of repeately splitting off dumb posts. Seriously. I'm done with it.
From this point on I'm going to simply delete every off topic/dick/dumb/**** post. Period. So if your post is missing, assume it got deleted for being too dumb to exist. Don't even ask what happened.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline -Norbert-

My entire knowledge of German comes from their WW2 military units (thank you, Company of Heroes :P), but from what I know that name literally translates to English as "Assault Knight", which is a pretty awesome name. :nod:
Depends.
"Sturm" can mean either storm (as in the wether condition) or assault... or it can be a drink made out of grapes (not wine)... In context you're probably right, though I never heard Sturmritter anywhere before in german.

Offline Lorric

My entire knowledge of German comes from their WW2 military units (thank you, Company of Heroes :P), but from what I know that name literally translates to English as "Assault Knight", which is a pretty awesome name. :nod:
Depends.
"Sturm" can mean either storm (as in the wether condition) or assault... or it can be a drink made out of grapes (not wine)... In context you're probably right, though I never heard Sturmritter anywhere before in german.

Google Translate goes with "Storm Knight".
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 07:28:47 pm by Spoon »

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
So did anyone like (or even noticed) the glass cracking effect in Stranded?
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
My hull would drop to zero too fast to notice. :nervous:
I did have it show just once and survive until the end of the mission so I could look at it; it's a nice touch.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
I would just like to say some things:

First: I actually like this eight mission campaign more than the full one. And I like the multiple endings (worst one is headcanon Full Stop) perhaps I got used to WoD's gameplay?

Second: I am thoroughly disappointed in our community's inability to answer a simple question I just did in four words.
This showcases how thoroughly vile this forum's dark side has become, not only that but even the WoD moderators seem very rude.
I hope this stops before it becomes routine, you are supposed to give a good example guys.

Third: I didn't notice the glass, guess I should play again.

Offline Lorric

Uh oh. Spoon is flexing his moderator muscles...

First: I actually like this eight mission campaign more than the full one. And I like the multiple endings (worst one is headcanon Full Stop) perhaps I got used to WoD's gameplay?

Second: I am thoroughly disappointed in our community's inability to answer a simple question I just did in four words.
This showcases how thoroughly vile this forum's dark side has become, not only that but even the WoD moderators seem very rude.
I hope this stops before it becomes routine, you are supposed to give a good example guys.

Third: I didn't notice the glass, guess I should play again.

:D  :yes:

Also, that you like this campaign more than the main WoD one is intriguing.

8 missions is more than I expected.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
The concept of a mission count IMO is dated and obsolete. There are a lot of cinematic-style "missions" in most modern mods which inflate the count, as well as the ability to do more than one mission's worth in a single "mission" with in-mission jumping, etc, that the whole concept IMO is poorly defined and an even poorer measure of length, compared to retail, where one mission is well, one mission. I guess you could always just count the number of fs2 files but, as I've said, that is a poor measure.

Stranded is no exception to this trend and has a number of essentially flyable cinematics to build atmosphere and develop characters, as well as multi-part mission(s) where you're in more than one place, doing more than one thing. This modern trend is not something I dislike at all, but it does make cause the ability to quantify campaign length a bit hazier. The fact that the narrative isn't quantized into mission is a great thing.

The glass effect kicks in a bit too late to be noticeable. Most of the time you just explode shortly after it appears. Then again, I suppose that is what would happen.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Lorric

I would class a mission as a combat mission. "Playable cutscenes" as I think of them, are nice enough, but they're a seperate thing to me. They're an excellent tool to advance the story and characters, but they're not missions.

I would also class a "multi-mission" mission as a single mission, no matter how elaborate. Jumping the player to a new part of space is no different than having all those ships that are in the new location jump into position around the player.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ

It's probably because there only like 3 cordi ships in this whole campaign?  :p

The E is a global moderator.
As for me, I am more than a little fed up with how often stuff goes offtopic around here. I will be rude as all hell, if that is what it takes to get some kind of proper discussion going on here.

The concept of a mission count IMO is dated and obsolete. There are a lot of cinematic-style "missions" in most modern mods which inflate the count, as well as the ability to do more than one mission's worth in a single "mission" with in-mission jumping, etc, that the whole concept IMO is poorly defined and an even poorer measure of length, compared to retail, where one mission is well, one mission. I guess you could always just count the number of fs2 files but, as I've said, that is a poor measure.

Stranded is no exception to this trend and has a number of essentially flyable cinematics to build atmosphere and develop characters, as well as multi-part mission(s) where you're in more than one place, doing more than one thing. This modern trend is not something I dislike at all, but it does make cause the ability to quantify campaign length a bit hazier. The fact that the narrative isn't quantized into mission is a great thing.
Very true.
If you count Stranded actual mission files, its 12. But that would be silly since the 4 endings aren't real missions. Mission 3 isn't much of a real mission either, since all you do is fly in a straight line into the hangar bay. Whereas the split mission 5 are both actual missions with gameplay stuff going on.
As you said: " it does make cause the ability to quantify campaign length a bit hazier."

My hull would drop to zero too fast to notice. :nervous:
I did have it show just once and survive until the end of the mission so I could look at it; it's a nice touch.
The glass effect kicks in a bit too late to be noticeable. Most of the time you just explode shortly after it appears. Then again, I suppose that is what would happen.
The cracks randomly occur between 25% hull and 1% (you get a one time repair the first time you hit 25% from mission 4 onward). But with most LSF fighters, those last 25% hitpoints tend to be... well not a whole lot at all.
Urutorahappī!!

I noticed the glass breaking effect - Definitely a nice touch. I like being told when I'm being stupid or about to die. :p It could probably be even better if there was the sound of breaking glass (I don't think I heard that) when it happens too.

Offline Lorric

If you count Stranded actual mission files, its 12. But that would be silly since the 4 endings aren't real missions. Mission 3 isn't much of a real mission either, since all you do is fly in a straight line into the hangar bay. Whereas the split mission 5 are both actual missions with gameplay stuff going on.

You did that in WoD as well. Mission 3, no enemies, you just fly into the Guardian Angel to compete the mission.

One day I might just spice that up and throw some enemies in there...

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I noticed the glass breaking effect - Definitely a nice touch. I like being told when I'm being stupid or about to die. :p It could probably be even better if there was the sound of breaking glass (I don't think I heard that) when it happens too.
There is actually a breaking glass sound effect playing, but it can hard to hear when you are in the process of getting shot at  :p

You did that in WoD as well. Mission 3, no enemies, you just fly into the Guardian Angel to compete the mission.

One day I might just spice that up and throw some enemies in there...
Well that would kind of defeat the purpose of the mission...
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Lorric

Well that would kind of defeat the purpose of the mission...

Yes it would. I don't mean I would change the original mission, sorry for the confusion. A copy would be made to experiment with.

Another mission to play with similarly could be the one after where you have to flee the invasion force. That mission blurs the lines between being a true mission or a playable cutscene. Obviously it's supposed to be a cutscene and you're supposed to flee, but if you stay, you'll be obliterated.

Anyway, it could be fun to add in the Guardian Angel and everything that goes with it and take them on.

Mission 3, I spent a long time on that one if I remember right when I first played. I flew around inspecting the ships up close, and then struggled to get into the Guardian Angel, because I was still pretty new to Freespace 2 and had never had to land on a ship before.

Offline Legate Damar

• Keeping up with the Cardassians
  • Hail Cardassia!
So... is anyone going to address my question?

Offline -Norbert-

"Sorry, but currently all surviving characters of Stranded are celebrating their survival in a holiday spar and thus not available for questions. Please try again at a later date."
Though I too would like to ask some questions to the new cast, to fill up their currently very basic wiki profiles, along with some info about the deepseekers and the abilities of the R6 Aestival.

Also I have a minor nitpick about the breaking glass.
How can the cockpit glass break, if LSF cockpits don't have a glass canopy?
Of courese if you called it the main viewscreen cracking, I'd be fine with it. :P