Author Topic: Y-Wing Longprobe  (Read 5641 times)

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
I love surprising you guys with something complete.  Zookeeper and I have been working on this a bit recently and it's now complete and zookeeper is working on getting it rigged and in-game.  I think it turned out great, and should give mission builders another fun unique craft to play with.

Credits:

Model: Brand-X and zookeeper
Texture: Brand-X and CountBuggula

A couple of notes on specs:

Faster than Y-Wing
No warhead or secondary armament

If we can figure out a way to make things like ID range/speed be dynamic, we'll boost the stats for this ship so it has an actual in-game function without needing custom work by FREDDers.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 01:12:47 pm by CountBuggula »

Offline Dain

Looks ace. Nice to see this much variety in ships, even if they are just slight variations on existing models. The plain metal look is really nice too, distinguishes it nicely from the vanilla Y-wing. Is Brand-X's fully plated Y-wing still in?

Also, for some reason my appreciation of the Y-wing as a design seems to have increased over the last few years.

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Looks ace. Nice to see this much variety in ships, even if they are just slight variations on existing models. The plain metal look is really nice too, distinguishes it nicely from the vanilla Y-wing. Is Brand-X's fully plated Y-wing still in?

Also, for some reason my appreciation of the Y-wing as a design seems to have increased over the last few years.

Thanks.  Brand's covered Y-Wing was the old pre-hard drive crash version.  He never made a covered version of the rebuilt one, but I see it as a small price to pay for a vastly improved model.  It probably wouldn't be terribly difficult for one of us to make a covered version by modifying the current Y-Wing, but it's not a priority.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I always hated those raised engines - Star Wars Galaxies did a lot of weird junk like that to the ships proper. If anything, good 'ole Rebellion did it best (and probably first) with the Longprobe:

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120613155124/starwars/images/a/ad/YWingLongprobe-SWR.png

I think there's plenty of room for changes such as no secondaries or adding a new turret fixture / sensors to the ship. You don't have to recreate or repeat some of the weird stuff that SWG made - the Longprobe isn't anything radical. It uses the Y-Wing's already good sensors and some more avionics on top of that. If they changed or uprated the engines, they'd certainly be in the same location the old ones were. Otherwise you're just ruin the flight dynamics of the ship.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
If there's no secondaries, would it be worth the trouble to remove the launcher geometry, or at least clean up the dirt on the texture so that they don't look like they've been used?
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
If there's no secondaries, would it be worth the trouble to remove the launcher geometry, or at least clean up the dirt on the texture so that they don't look like they've been used?

It wasn't really doable with the current texture (there's no geometry, it's all in the texture) but I think CountBuggula was planning on having another go at the texture, at which point yes, it should be easy enough to remove those parts entirely.

Yeah, also not a fan of the raised Engine pods. But whatever, I'll just have to develop a mental block so I can't see it.

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Yeah, also not a fan of the raised Engine pods. But whatever, I'll just have to develop a mental block so I can't see it.

We didn't actually raise the engine pods.  It's an idea we tossed around but we decided against it.

And yes, I'm going to give the texture another pass at some point and remove the warhead launchers.

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Yes, the engine pods are raised, but not in the silly manner you see on the internets.

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Yes, the engine pods are raised, but not in the silly manner you see on the internets.

Haha, yeah I went back and looked closely at them after I said that and realized I was totally wrong.  But yes, it's rather subtle, and I think the effect is ok.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I had to see this thread 5 times before I even realized what you guys were talking about.  But I'd never seen the internet's version of a longprobe before either.  Eeesh.  I don't know if there really _is_ a point in raising ours at all from the stock look, but it's definitely not a bad change.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Our current torpedoes look more like this, so not quite that simple :)

We do have a magpulse secondary, I haven't looked at it too closely yet to see if it could work as an Ion torp.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Of course the Longprobe won't have any secondaries, but we're considering adding something like that to our normal Y-Wings.