Author Topic: Things you want to know about BWO but were afraid to ask  (Read 168225 times)

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Re: Things you want to know about BWO but were afraid to ask
No.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Hmm. Kinda brings me to my next question : -

Have you ever considered handing the project over to someone else who would be able to finish it quicker?

If you're willing to help model HTL upgrades and UV map and convert those that are finished, then it'll get done quicker.

That is the issue, that's what we need.

On that topic... *cough* Raven please convert some of those models that were pretty much done ;) *cough*
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Tyrian

• Dangerous When Thinking
What does converting a model entail?
Want to be famous?  Click here and become a playing card!!!

Bush (Verb) -- To do stupid things with confidence.

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

Bumper stickers at my college:
"Republicans for Voldemort!"
"Frodo failed.  Bush got the Ring."

Resistance is futile!  (If < 1 ohm...)

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

I'd love to help, but the only talent (and tme) i have to offer HLP is my voice , and I'm already involved in a campaign

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Hmm. Kinda brings me to my next question : -

Have you ever considered handing the project over to someone else who would be able to finish it quicker?
Absolutely not.  That would also imply that someone else could get it done quicker and I highly doubt they could.  Not without more resources.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
On that topic... *cough* Raven please convert some of those models that were pretty much done ;) *cough*

I would if *cough* the Max converter didnt have a problem with it :P *cough*

Didnt you see how those 2 ships I converted ended out? :P
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline Koth

• Join the NTF! We have cookies!
Well if the 3dsMax converter doesn't work properly then you could try out PCS2. Although it isn't completely finished it it's still miles better than than PCS1.
The Signature is a Nuke!

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
Whatever anyone can do to solve our chronic MODs issue that would be great because then BWO would be finished.  Allot of campaign projects out there have a mission problem...its just clearing up all of the MODs we need to make the campaign work.  Not sure what we can do about that...
- IceFire

*I'm wondering if the staff of BWO have ever honestly contemplated cancelling BWO? (BWO has been considered a 'dead campaign' on more then one occassion)
note: - this is not intended as an insult or question about release date; its just a simple question.
Only a very specific few people have ever considered BWO dead as a project.  On occasion I've considered just giving up but there's so much time invested into it and allot of fantastic work.  I would feel that we should release what we had if that were ever to happen and then I say to myself that its better that we finish it.  Most of the other campaigns that started at the same time with similar goals are still being developed so I think we're ok still :)

As long as there are people involved in it.  We still need more involvement if people are interested and have the talent required to help but that last point is so very crucial.

What he doesn't mention, is the only thing keeping those projects from announcing their deaths and sending out invites to the funerals, is that BWO isn't out yet, so they think they're still in the clear =P

JK, I loved the demo btw.  Are we very close to an ETC?  (Don't be afraid, it's estimated for a reason.)

So As far as the MODs thing goes, is that MODs as in other MODs you take animations and such from? or is that as in Models?
Could we with ink the ocean fill, and were the skies of parchment made
Were every stalk on earth a quill, and every man a scribe by trade
To write the love of God above, would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the scroll contain the whole, though stretched from sky to sky!

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
I mean mostly the model/texture thing rather than anything else.  Way back years ago when the missions were complete we were looking pretty solid model wise.  Then Source Code came along and we were busy with the missions and by the time we were finished or largely finished with the missions our models and work there looked very poor in comparison to what is being done.  Particularly now...Beyond the Red Line set the bar very high and we'd like to look at least decent in comparison.

Ace has done some outstanding work making the backgrounds look great by using skyboxes and very high resolution planet images.  Now we need to bring our ships up to spec.  At the time they were really detailed for FS2 model standards but now they aren't.

As for an estimated time...its still so hard to say.  If we were to get all of our models/textures done and out of the way we could be finished in a couple of months.  But its getting there thats hard.  Everyone has other projects they are on as well so we've got a busy team.  Bobboau has single handedly contributed a large amount for instance but he's also a very busy guy with the Source Code Project and has put in allot of effort there too.
- IceFire

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Bobboau isn't doing anything currently with the SCP that I'm aware of.

But seriously, you guys should just polish it off and release.  Whenever it is that you get the models done, it'll be the missions or something else that's holding you up.

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
Im currently working on three mods and two campaigns but i can model... ill think about it..

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Bobboau isn't doing anything currently with the SCP that I'm aware of.

But seriously, you guys should just polish it off and release.  Whenever it is that you get the models done, it'll be the missions or something else that's holding you up.

Ermm no, because the missions are done. :p
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Indeed they are.  And a couple of years ago, the models were done too. :p

Who knows, you might decide that a certain mission needs more/different sexps or scripting or something.  My point is that feature creep is insidious enough to keep coming back to bite you. :)

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
You can always release an HTL pack later.
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Not happening.

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
Perhaps normal maps offer a faster solution to your model issues then making everything high poly?  Many low poly TVWP models are much improved by normal maps....
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
I think people would be very disappointed (and ask us why it took so long) if we were to release in say a months time after clearing any remaining issues with the missions and just releasing.  Most of the models lack LOD's and some of them I think still have issues with dock points and the like.  Its just not polished.

The missions won't experience any feature creep at all.  They are done with perhaps a minor tweak here or there.  We're committed to changing as little as possible on them but I think they will benefit from a final pass.

Nobody has of yet offered to help that actually can :) (just lots of people demanding stuff)
- IceFire

I doubt I'm qualified, but I'd be willing to help if I can.

P.S.  this IS the questions thread.
Could we with ink the ocean fill, and were the skies of parchment made
Were every stalk on earth a quill, and every man a scribe by trade
To write the love of God above, would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the scroll contain the whole, though stretched from sky to sky!

Offline Water

Nobody has of yet offered to help that actually can :)
I can help out with a ship or two