Author Topic: Best Game Soundtrack  (Read 19600 times)

Offline starfox

Metal Gear Solid
Chrono Trigger
Sonic the Hedgehog 1,2,3
Command & Conquer & Red Alert
Final Fantasy (Every single one..... :D)
Star Wars: Republic Commando
Donkey Kong Country 1,2,3
Megaman 1
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
For that which hasn't been mentioned: I liked Mega Man 2, and some stuff from Chrono Cross.
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
  • The ticket to the future is always blank
Ngtm1r, I think I'm gonna need you to make me a complete list of what you think sucks, so I know what's good. Preferably within 24 hours please.
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Certainly.

As soon as you answer my original question, that is.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Sonic the Hedgehog 1,2,3
Donkey Kong Country 1,2,3
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
FINALLY!  These things should have been in there in the first three posts! :) All three of the Genesis Sonic games had incredibly catchy tunes, and DKC 1 and 2 (can't speak for 3 personally) had some really amazing work; the Brambles tune from the second game is especially memorable.

One that's been sorely overlooked thus far is Shadow of the Colossus.  I'm only about 1/8 of the way through the game, and already, I've been utterly blown away by the score.  Another great one in terms of cinematic sound is good ol' Jet Force Gemini for the N64.  I've also loved the soundtracks from all of the Myst games; despite having varied composers, each game has managed to contain some beautiful work.

Finishing things off (since I don't feel like listing twenty or so other soundtracks I like), besides the usual Mario/Zelda plugs, I also have to give praise to the original Descent's MIDIs and the Descent II Redbook tracks; nothing like flying through the mines to some hardcore industrial metal. :D

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Unreal and Deus Ex are my favorites, followed by the FS games and Lemmings (the Mac version, which had far superior music). There is also one track on the Descent 2 vertigo CD that I particularly like.

Speaking of Unreal and Deus Ex, I just downloaded modplay that play's UTX files (unreal music s3m) some really good songs in there (Nali Chant) and one of the songs seems to be reused in Deus Ex.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
One that's been sorely overlooked thus far is Shadow of the Colossus.  I'm only about 1/8 of the way through the game, and already, I've been utterly blown away by the score. 

blahblah SoTC blahblah.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Speaking of Unreal and Deus Ex, I just downloaded modplay that play's UTX files (unreal music s3m) some really good songs in there (Nali Chant) and one of the songs seems to be reused in Deus Ex.

I don't think they have any in common, but they were made by the same two composers so a lot of the styles are similar.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Sonic the Hedgehog makes me want to puke :P
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain

You shut up, Amy is hot The music was made for ringtones before ringtones were invented  :P
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

The Mario RPG's (all five of them) have superb music in them, and remain my absolute favorites.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Christ it's the whole fan club.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Cyker

Sonics had good music, although the later ones got less good...

Chrono Trigger had some good tracks and some bad ones...

Some of my favourites of all time were all the early LEC StarWars games, namely X-Wing, TIE Fighter and Dark Forces, espescially the later level tracks which were more original. The main reason is the iMuse system they used - *NO* game has even come close to the perfect integration and scoring they did there. They tried to duplicate it in X-Wing Alliance, but by that time LEC was on its decline and it shows.

Deus Ex and Freespace are the only other games tried to pull off iMuse-style dynamic music - Good tries, but the dynamicness is so basic and can't segue quickly enough compared to the original iMuse :P

Other scores that were pretty damned good off the top of my head:
MechWarrior 2,
Doom 1 and 2,
All LEC point'n'click games (Monkey Island, DOTT, etc.),
Most of the Unreal Tournament tracks
Star Wolves
Prince of Persia: Sand of Time
Starcraft (Only the Terran tracks 'tho :p)
WarCraft 2
Jets'n'Guns (These just ****ing rock)

From the oldsk00l bag, I'd say Bubble Bobble and New Zealand Story (Sickeningly cute :D),  Ace 2, All the Turricans, Cybernoid 2.

Speaking of Doom...

Heretic and HeXen (i pulled out my hexen 2 cd just to listen to it) 
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

I kinda like the Summoner soundtrack myself...
Yoda of Borg am I! Assimilated shall you be! Futile resistance is, hmm?

Offline Tyrian

• Dangerous When Thinking

Christ it's the whole fan club.

*Cocks shotgun*

Yes, the whole fan club is here...And we're armed.  But I won't kill you.  I will forgive you.  Now...RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!!

*Unloads shotgun*
Want to be famous?  Click here and become a playing card!!!

Bush (Verb) -- To do stupid things with confidence.

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

Bumper stickers at my college:
"Republicans for Voldemort!"
"Frodo failed.  Bush got the Ring."

Resistance is futile!  (If < 1 ohm...)

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

YAY, crowds and shotguns!!!

back to the thread: I also enjoyed the Golden Sun music. When you get the sailboat with wings, I'd just fly around the map to listen to the music....  :D

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
You take that back!

Sonic music with lyrics...lyrics...kill all the music with lyrics!!
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story