Author Topic: The official Diaspora eyecandy thread  (Read 391471 times)

Offline Snagger

Re: The official Diaspora eyecandy thread
In the original BSG, there were "Turbo" and reverse thrust buttons on the top of the stick - that might explain some things there.

Also, we might assume that the stick, which does not presumably have a twist axis in the show (and I can't think of a real-world aircraft that has a twist stick) will roll and pitch the fighter. In most aircraft, the rudder pedals also act as brakes, so keep in mind that pedals are "multi-axis" in themselves. Although several different set-ups can be envisioned or described, it's entirely possible that rudder pedals could be employed as a throttling device. In fact, such a mechanism would direcly translate to a differential thrusting set-up, allowing the Viper to pull complex maneuvers which by means of the RCS alone might not be possible.

That said, the stick might affect the roll and pitch RCS while also delivering pitch differential thrust under certain flight limits or extremes (such as in trying to re-align the relative flight vector). Meanwhile, pedals, by using the "toe" push might induce the yaw RCS, while using the actual translation of the pedal might work on the primary throttle. In such a case, there would need to be a means of making differential thrust in yaw a conscientious consideration, and not an accidental case of not pushing hard enough on both pedals at the same time. And that's only one possible control scheme, but it does make sense if you allow it do be considered critically. If that is the case with controls, I'd want translational controls (lateral and vertical thrust) to be managed on the left console where our mystery lever is located.
Brakes on pedals are not limited to fighter planes - almost all aeroplanes have their WHEEL brakes independently operated by the tops of the rudder pedals, exceptions being very rare indeed (limited to aircraft that have no wheel brakes).

As for no aircraft having twist-grip joysticks, the Space Shuttle had exactly this system for its orbital control thrusters, and I think the Apollo mission Command Modules and LEMs had them too.  Real space craft controls  trump aeroplane controls in this debate, I think!

Offline Snagger

In the original BSG, there were "Turbo" and reverse thrust buttons on the top of the stick - that might explain some things there.

Also, we might assume that the stick, which does not presumably have a twist axis in the show (and I can't think of a real-world aircraft that has a twist stick) will roll and pitch the fighter. In most aircraft, the rudder pedals also act as brakes, so keep in mind that pedals are "multi-axis" in themselves. Although several different set-ups can be envisioned or described, it's entirely possible that rudder pedals could be employed as a throttling device. In fact, such a mechanism would direcly translate to a differential thrusting set-up, allowing the Viper to pull complex maneuvers which by means of the RCS alone might not be possible.

That said, the stick might affect the roll and pitch RCS while also delivering pitch differential thrust under certain flight limits or extremes (such as in trying to re-align the relative flight vector). Meanwhile, pedals, by using the "toe" push might induce the yaw RCS, while using the actual translation of the pedal might work on the primary throttle. In such a case, there would need to be a means of making differential thrust in yaw a conscientious consideration, and not an accidental case of not pushing hard enough on both pedals at the same time. And that's only one possible control scheme, but it does make sense if you allow it do be considered critically. If that is the case with controls, I'd want translational controls (lateral and vertical thrust) to be managed on the left console where our mystery lever is located.
Brakes on pedals are not limited to fighter planes - almost all aeroplanes have their WHEEL brakes independently operated by the tops of the rudder pedals, exceptions being very rare indeed (limited to aircraft that have no wheel brakes).  Airbrakes are activated on fast jets by switches on the throttle handle, while spoilers on large aircraft are operated by levers adjacent to the throttles.

As for no aircraft having twist-grip joysticks, the Space Shuttle had exactly this system for its orbital control thrusters, and I think the Apollo mission Command Modules and LEMs had them too.  Separate sticks are used for translational and rotational movements.  Real space craft controls  trump aeroplane controls in this debate, I think!

I see two possible solutions right now:

1. We somehow turn this into a fully fleshed out physics debate, that ultimately leads to topics like "how much force can the average human knee withstand?", "Is the awesomeness-factor of the Adama Maneuver directly related to the coolness-factor of the namegiver's mustache? Or is it exponential higher?", "Would a Viper even get out of its launch tube if Fat Lee was piloting it?" and so on...

2. We do it like the writers/producers/cutters/whomever did: We Don't Care. There were joysticks pushed to pitch the Vipers upwards. Joysticks pulled to engage afterburners. The only scene i can recall, where they really cared, was Starbuck disengaging engines to turn around in "Scar". Everything else was just someone pushing, turning, moving or bending something in the cockpit.

Ooh, i've got a third solution: we discuss what kind of controls a Viper would actually NEED to be piloted the way it is portraied in the series. I own an X-52 and pedals and i had a hard time when i tried to setup the controls like they are in the show (despite the fact, that we just don't have enough information to do that). Like Thaeris said, the sticks in the show don't seem to have a twist, so roll has to go another stick-axis or to the pedals. As the show is inspired by real world aircrafts, it goes to the stick, yaw to the pedals. And the latheral trhusters? Hm... show's sticks only have a 4-point coolie hat, damn thats not good, can't go upwards and sideways at the same time, blabla, and so on and so forth. I gave up on it and set them up like i like them.

And the fourth solution out of the two:
Praise the modelers! Cause they are doing a good job on bringing the cockpit/s into the game, like its/they are seen in the show ;).

LOL yea i got a x45 i got a hat on my throttle and my stick i got 2 hats 8 ways... up down left right its enough  in BTRL i had found something that worked awesome yaw on rudders roll on stick so its doable just like you say no 1 knows how its supposed to be in the show now that was not the debate i wanted to get into when i first asked about the throttle i just wanted to know if in the finished prodict they will add a throttle or if it was meant not to have 1... that's all lol i dint want to start a huge debate >_<!

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Snagger, I think you hit quote instead of modify.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

To control a viper in real life I think there should be:
1 joystick for roll, pitch up and down
another joystick for sideways and upward movements
a throttle lever for the main engines.
maybe a button on a joystick for emergency brakes (and Turbo  ;)).
Rudder pedals for jaw.
Some buttons for computer help. (for help gliding, and such things)
And of course switches for engine controls, radio, DRADIS, logs, guncams, weapons.

I always lolled at the indicators in the BSG show, there are analog altimeters and stuff like that. For a fighter in space  :lol:

In WWI there were a lot of different controls. Some airplanes jawed when you moved the stick sideways,
Some pitched up with a lever, and controlled the engine power with the stick.
Because the BSG universe has nothing to do with ordinairy earth like planes the controls could be very different than the planes we have today. I just hope we can change the controls from diaspora and then I'm happy with it  :nod:

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Ohhh...

This is getting really off-topic, but until we get some more pictures... :D

Anyway, I recall the differences in controls from very early aircraft (such as Curtiss and Wright control schemes), but never thought about how late those differences persisted into WWI. Interesting...
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

THere is a reason why controls haven ot changed in modern planes.. because its what use humans are used to and what works best its standard so that  it feels like a plane 1 plane to the other id imagen vipers must have theyr standards aswell.

Offline Snagger

Snagger, I think you hit quote instead of modify.
Yep... bugger!

Offline Snagger

THere is a reason why controls haven ot changed in modern planes.. because its what use humans are used to and what works best its standard so that  it feels like a plane 1 plane to the other id imagen vipers must have theyr standards aswell.
Absolutely - the controls in all modern aeroplanes have the same configurations, ust like all modern cars (excepting manual and automatic transmissions), helicopters and so on.  Interestingly, even though the Airbus fly-by-wire system uses a similar configuration of stick, thrust levers and rudder pedals, all given the same axis as other aircraft, the mere manner in which the FBW operates, keeping attitude constant unless a pilot input is made (automatically compensating for gusts, trim changes, thrust asymmetry and even applying up elevator in the turn) initially causes considerable handling problems for pilots converting on to type, so strong are the motor function imprints on pilots.  Vipers, Raptors and other small craft would need to have a similar control system configuration in all variants for that very reason, even though their individual characteristics would vary like different aeroplanes do.

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
This should be new to those who know what it is. Click for insane sized version.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
YAY. Gorgeous. Except -

Man, I was all for the girl when I heard about it, but now that I see it, maybe cut the girl.

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
The girl is still a subject of debate and I already have a version done without it. Either way you'll only see it if you play at resolutions like 1920x1200.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
There should be more pics there IMHO, as shown in the show. Adding just 1 seems out of place.

[Edit by Shade] Colour tags removed. Again. It's not very polite to use a colour that's unreadable, ya know?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 12:56:40 pm by Shade »
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
oh cool pilot screen!
el hombre vicio...

After looking through the gallery something I noticed right away, the MKII viper seems to have a more substantial elegance to the model.
Its frakkin beautiful guys!! Watching trailer 3 the new HUD looks so much more canon and intensely more useful!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 02:57:42 pm by KewlToyZ »

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
very good...as always  :yes:
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

Also, we might assume that the stick, which does not presumably have a twist axis in the show (and I can't think of a real-world aircraft that has a twist stick) will roll and pitch the fighter.

Unless I am mistaken, the space shuttles do for controlling thrusters in the nose.

Absolutely - the controls in all modern aeroplanes have the same configurations, ust like all modern cars (excepting manual and automatic transmissions), helicopters and so on.  Interestingly, even though the Airbus fly-by-wire system uses a similar configuration of stick, thrust levers and rudder pedals, all given the same axis as other aircraft, the mere manner in which the FBW operates, keeping attitude constant unless a pilot input is made (automatically compensating for gusts, trim changes, thrust asymmetry and even applying up elevator in the turn) initially causes considerable handling problems for pilots converting on to type, so strong are the motor function imprints on pilots.  Vipers, Raptors and other small craft would need to have a similar control system configuration in all variants for that very reason, even though their individual characteristics would vary like different aeroplanes do.
ALl New fighter planes have that now the f16 fighting falcon was the first to use that tech i dont think the f15 has it nore the f18 but the f35 does the f22 the Raffale the Eurofighter...im probably missing a few but my al ltime favourite is the F16C Block 50/52 AKA as the viper its original name is the fighting falcon but pilots call it a viper i think thats where the original BSG took theyr name for the vipers because at the time the f16 had just come out.I remmber reading this somewhere years ago.

ON that note thats a nice screen i love the embiance you guys are goign for the girl feels out of place maybe put a wife instead? somthign to lift up troop morale? like in ww2 they had pin up girls? because the little girl looks sooo out of place there.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 12:44:57 pm by Dermeister »

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Wow, that pilot select screen looks...real :yes:
The girl is still a subject of debate and I already have a version done without it. Either way you'll only see it if you play at resolutions like 1920x1200.
Can the interface support image resolutions other than 1024x768 and 640x480 or is this just planning for the hopefully not-too-distant future?

Offline Shade

We have a bit of a novel idea on how to handle different resolutions in the interface, which should allow for pretty much any permutation of resolutions above a minimum of 1024*768. I'll leave it to LtCannonfodder to give the details if he wants, though, since he came up with it.

However, you might actually infer it from his previous post if you think a bit ;)
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.