Author Topic: Mech games  (Read 16782 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Normally I went after that first Ani in a Thor, packing an LB-10X of my own and dual CERPPC. I've never found it quite so threatening as most of you, I think, but that's because Epona makes an excellent distraction if you're quick and gives you some free backshots/legshots. I've never bothered trying to make it salvageable, mind you, simply kept hitting the chest with all the guns I could carry. Most of the time I don't even lose a lancemate.

This served me in poor stead for the rest of the Annihilators in the game my first time through because I didn't learn to respect them. After being repeatedly dumped on my butt during the assault on Durgan that changed.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Masakari (aka 'Warhawk'). 4 ER PPC's, (set to chain fire) and a pack of C LRM 20, thanks very much. :D

Unfortunately there hasnt been any pure mech games released since Mechwarrior 4. Unfortunately, when you talk of the 'sim' genre, people think 'railroad tycoon' or 'the sims'  :sigh:

And even more unfortunate is the fact that what little there is of the mektek multiplayer scene is full of hackers and evil server hosts (they'll kick you for killing them)

And even more unfortunate is the fact that what little there is of the mektek multiplayer scene is full of hackers and evil server hosts (they'll kick you for killing them)

Maybe in the US  :p Here in europe you only get flamed when you kill someone who's in a lighter mech (even if it was him who attacked you first)  :pimp:
Lead me, follow me, or get the hell out of my way!!

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Buncha n00bs.  People like that make me angry... although, I'll be honest, half the time I wonder if people in Tremulous or Urban Terror aren't using bots... I mean, c'mon, sniping me mid-jump??  They don't aim at all!  Just shoot from the hip, yeah, and get a head shot.. uh-huh.  While I realize there are players that are this good, I also realize there are aimbots available too.  I can't ever decide which is being employed, skill or hax.

were you jumping there or the others?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
I was... jumped, and about 0.5 seconds after my feet lifted off the ground, got smakked.  Oh, and I was running before that, and I jumped sideways.  It's not like they could have guessed which way I was going to jump, at least I don't think they could have.  Perhaps they just have super-fast reflexes, and when they saw me twitch up in that direction, the made an instantaneous snap shot?

Or maybe they saw you on radar and just had to follow your mech with their guns until you came up behind the cover... no problem with a little pratice. Done this like a thousand times.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Eh.. I was referring to Urban Terror / Tremulous, where that would not be possible.  Only Tremulous has radar, and it is 2D and very limited in function.

Ooooops sorry thought you talked about MW4  :blah:

Im a bigger fan of MW3 than MW4.

I mean if you blow somethings leg off it dosent limp around on the stub, it falls down and dosent get back up.
Fat people are harder to kidnap :ha:

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
I'm among the few who even liked the Pirate's Moon expansion for MW3.

The Atlas may have been a disappointment for some of you, but for me it was the best portrayal I could hope for: powerful, can take an insane pounding (the attacks this one can shrug off - along with a lot of armor would kill even heavies then and there) and is awkward until you're in the proper mindset of a giant sledgehammer.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
one thing mw2 had over 3 and 4 is better input code. you could use up to 3 input devices other than the keyboard. you had more axial commands. 3 axis view commands (yaw pitch and zoom), in addition to your legs and torso yaw, turret pitch, and throttle. and you could assign anything to anything.  you could use your mouse to aim and a joystick to navigate, or vice-versa. i also rather liked the absolute axis system of mw2 over the relative control you had in 4. in 4 i frequently loose my center because you only control the rate of turn and not the desired positon.

anyway i used ch control manager to stick my extra rudder pedal axes on the stick and throttle virtual controls, this freed up a 3rd controller that i used the ppjoy+tir2joy so i could use my track ir. unlike using mouse emulation, it maintained absolute axis control. i managed to slave my turret to my head motion, so now i can kill things by looking at them. freakycool! :D
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 02:08:25 am by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Sounds like that thing they've got with the Apache and some Advanced F-15s and the F-22.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
sorta like that. lomac emulates that system pretty well. look and lock. but in those actual systems youre only aiming the radar array which provides targeting data for guided weapons. where as im actually aiming the guns on my mech at whatever im looking at. still im having some trouble getting used to not being able to aim with my joystick. so i switched the track ir to my view axes for better situational awareness. its nice when your turrets pointing sideways to be able to glance over and see where youre going. ive never really liked view buttons because theyre too restrictive. track ir makes it more natural and therefore faster. if i had a wearable display it would even be better.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

The thing I liked most about MW3 is that yo could beat any mission in any mech.

Also.
Nuke, wow :yes: sweet setup.
Fat people are harder to kidnap :ha:

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
ive encountered problems going back to the control options in mw2 to change settings. every time i go there the game says the controllers have been disconnected and removes them from the setup. meaning that i have to redo all my bindings each time i want to tweak something. anyone by chance know where mw2 sticks its control settings so that i can hack them directly?

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
I just reinstalled mw2 myself. 'twas a pain to get working, but DOSBox and some hacked exes helped that. I don't think the music is working though. :(
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
I just reinstalled mw2 myself. 'twas a pain to get working, but DOSBox and some hacked exes helped that. I don't think the music is working though. :(

Please, tell me how you did! I have the win95 version right here and cant get it to work.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Oh, well I have the DOS version, so I don't know.
Just google mechwarrior 2 xp and you'll find stuff like this: http://www.ntcompatible.com/mechwarrior_under_windows_xp_t27064.html

http://www.mektek.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=55242&st=0
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
I have Win95 version, too. :ick: