Author Topic: World of Tanks  (Read 48299 times)

Offline CKid

Looks like FPSRussia has started to play WOT.

ME WANT!

Edit: LOL, just after posting, I see that the video has been linked in the WOT launcher.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 04:31:38 pm by CKid »
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Tanks summed up.

"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline crizza

Ah yes, the good memories of just upgrading to a tier 9 tank and getting flamed by a team mate for being useless because I only had stock gear on it.
Because apparantly if you really wish for it, you can just pull the experience required for the upgrades out of your ass. In this same world, all your dreams can come true by making a wish on the robot unicorn.
My E75 is maxed out, if another teammember tells me, he got a tier9 as well, I offer him to play platoon with him, so we get him maxed out as far as posible.

Tanks summed up.

That won't really happen in WoT. The Devs officially stated they found a game without saving throws and the hitpoint system "boring".

Guess they find going through "we hit them hard", "that one went right through", "another one like that should finish them", "critical hit" and a few others before destroying something fascinating. Oh well...

If PlanetSide 2 offers semi-realistic tank (or better- tank and air) combat, guess what my next topic in this subforum will be about... :P
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Seen a few vids of PlanetSide 2. Looks pretty damn cool, but it's a futuristic setting so I doubt you'll find anything akin to "realistic" tank battles...

If:
-only a couple penetrations are needed to blow up a tank
-a single one will often cripple it (so internals would have to be modeled as hit boxes)
-armor is simulated half as decent as it is in WoT
-no scouts doing 1.6 G turns
-no critical hits that penetrate the armor but do no damage
-gun accuracy allows for shooting stuff a mile away..

I'd call it semi-realistic, and that's what I'm hoping for.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
That won't really happen in WoT.

Reaper.

Have you gotten it?

A Feddie Story

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
Anyone else playing flanking with their medium tank? Whenever I see two heavies in a stand-off, I try to flank the enemy. I actually got behind him, and rather than turn his turret to shoot at me, he kept focus on his heavy opponent, allowing me free play with my directly behind him. Feels pretty awesome when you're actually breaking a stalemate with simple maneuvering like that.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
I try to, but usually, I end up being the guy who has to go first around the corner or whatever because everyone else is too scared of the single medium at 50%.

A Feddie Story

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
That's literally the only thing I can do that's effective when I'm in a match with an excess of heavies. Every so often, however, I'll meet someone who loves easy kills, which is ironically how I play when there are lots of lights/low tiered meds... o_o

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
It always amuses me when somebody does that and goes for the easy kill rather than one that's tactically significant. I've seen a lot of people kill themselves by taking down the medium rather than the heavy, especially when they could have killed us both.

A Feddie Story

I did get a Reaper or 2, but the point is that even shielded Shivans go down faster under ML-16 fire than a King Tiger gets blown up by a 75 mm Sherman that's penetrating each and every time.

As for flanking, if you're careful it's possible to sneak an M103 behind enemy lines once in a while. Random teams cover random parts of the map with random forces.

The open maps also allow to shoot across the battlefields and hit the sides of enemy tanks without the troubles of maneuvering too much.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I did get a Reaper or 2, but the point is that even shielded Shivans go down faster under ML-16 fire than a King Tiger gets blown up by a 75 mm Sherman that's penetrating each and every time.
I happen to think that being able to one shot a tank every time that costs that much more, takes much longer to get to, and is three (or two) tiers higher to be bad gameplay, unfufilling, and poorly balanced.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline crizza

Just use the Hellcat...wait for 3 minutes and then roll out...nothing is better than flaming heavies, calling you a noob when you've circled them to death.
And before I allow a medium to get behind me, I turn the whole tank, better get killed by the other heavy, than a medium^^

Well, but if the Tiger II could blow a Sherman up in 2-3 hits (or 1-2 with the 10.5 cm KwK), while the Sherman needs some 5-6 rather than 12, the game won't be broken. Look at Tier 1 and 2, where all tanks could shoot each other in 5-15 seconds if all shots count (and armor plays a great role here) and the game is fast and fun.

Then there's the fact the Tiger II's armor is very resistant (frontally immune) to 75 mm shells while the Sherman ain't stopping anything bigger than medium velocity 57-76 mm rounds, another self-balancing mechanism tanks have.

Edit: A King Tiger could in fact destroy a Sherman in 2 hits using an 88.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
You know what sucks? Playing Pkfw38nA (Tier IV) and constantly getting put against Tier 9 tanks!
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Well, but if the Tiger II could blow a Sherman up in 2-3 hits (or 1-2 with the 10.5 cm KwK), while the Sherman needs some 5-6 rather than 12, the game won't be broken. Look at Tier 1 and 2, where all tanks could shoot each other in 5-15 seconds if all shots count (and armor plays a great role here) and the game is fast and fun.

Then there's the fact the Tiger II's armor is very resistant (frontally immune) to 75 mm shells while the Sherman ain't stopping anything bigger than medium velocity 57-76 mm rounds, another self-balancing mechanism tanks have.

Edit: A King Tiger could in fact destroy a Sherman in 2 hits using an 88.

Wait... you think that a Tier 5 tank should be able to kill a Tier 8 tank in approximately the same amount of time it takes the Tier 8 tank to kill the Tier 5 tank?

No.

A KT needs 7,65 seconds to blow up a Sherman (2 shots from the 88), while a Sherman needs 19 seconds to fire 6 times, using the 75 mm gun.
That's about 2,5 times longer.

It also takes a Sherman an infinite amount of time to destroy a KT if the two meet head on.

Offline crizza

Hate to interrupt, but almost every source I read about the Tiger and King Tiger says, they can kill a Sherman with a single hit.
The Allies engaged a Tiger with around six Shermans so that one or two could survive.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
If you think the armor on a King Tiger is amazing...

...The armor on the Jagdtiger was rediculous.

:blah:
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke