Author Topic: Blue Planet literary analysis (spoilers)  (Read 12655 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Blue Planet literary analysis (spoilers)
Some random thoughts on Blue Planet, that most literary of FS2 campaigns. (Disclosure: I'm not on the dev team in any capacity except as a voice acting coordinator.) The intentionality I ascribe here is to the text, not to Darius -- I don't necessarily think he thought of all this, but nonetheless the text presents it.

I always thought it was interesting how the allied capital ships in Blue Planet served as a proxy family to Sam.

The Orestes is angular, authoritative, and -- for most of the campaign's narrative -- quite distant. In this way it echoes Sam's relationship with his father. The Orestes plays a very paternal role. Sam's desperate sacrifice and rush to save the Orestes and his own father are, I think, Sam's way of telling his dad that he has the ability to save something he cares about.

The Temeraire is more feminine in its hull design, and it spends a great portion of the campaign close to Sam, actively helping and advising him. It's the ship that I imagine most BP players feel is their home-away-from-home. Although the Orestes is larger and stronger, the Temeraire is more welcoming and somehow more protective. Sam, in turn, protects the Temeraire time and again, each time recalling and reliving his past failings with regard to his own mother. The dead mother and the ship are very much linked, and the player's meant to feel that.

It's an interesting note that the Temeraire comes charging to the Orestes' side when the Sathanas threatens the male ship. It's a nice twist on the usual gender roles. Throughout 'Universal Truth' the two vessels act as partners.

The Sanctuary? The most alien of the ships, yes, but also the one closest to Sam. After all, it has Eriana on board. Sam finds it in the mist, a ship full of people who should be dead. It's clear what this beautiful old relic is meant to represent -- reclamation of the love Sam lost. (And it's no surprise that the next mission requires Sam to bring the Temeraire and Sanctuary together, reuniting his dead mother and his dead wife -- followed shortly thereafter by a harrowing passage in which he must protect both of them from the very Shivans that once killed them.)

As for Sam's two wingmates, they display an easy platonic affection for their commander, much like the bond between siblings. I don't think this point needs much developing. Mina Taylor's a younger-sister type, whereas Corey's attitude is more like the bookish older brother.

The family metaphor explains a lot about Blue Planet. There's a certain warmth and informality about the Sol Expeditionary Force in Blue Planet. On the one hand, it's completely explicable by the circumstances the group is under: a small cadre of elite officers and crew cut off from their homes. Military discipline is maintained, and the command briefings are delivered with the same cool detachment we'd expect from Petrarch.

But it's also easy to see an unusual kind of affection pervading Blue Planet, something not present in most FS2 campaigns. Wingmen express a little more emotion than usual. Imminent death is met with desperate bravado; rescues are met with gratitude. Reunions are celebrated. The atmosphere is subtly more familial than that of, say, Inferno, or ST:R, or the Procyon Insurgency. And it does make a difference to the player's emotional response.

Blue Planet is, overtly, a family saga -- the tale of the Beis and their special destiny. But that saga isn't present merely in the superficial narrative. It's reflected in the tools of FS2 storytelling, the great ships and their actions. When the end comes, and the Expeditionary Force family finds itself betrayed by the GTVA, it's no surprise that most of the family decides to stay together.

Which leaves me curious -- did the Temeraire and Orestes both defect? Or have the two metaphorical parents been torn apart again? The end of Blue Planet saw Sam reunited with his love (literally, in Eriana, and metaphorically in the Sanctuary), his father (the Orestes) and his mother (the Temeraire.) Did Journey's End break that unity?

I guess we'll have to wait and find out.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Re: Blue Planet literary analysis (spoilers)
Well, the Orestes did proceed to roast the MAN-SWORD UEFg Renjian, so it probably didn't defect, though Sam's dad did hop onto a flying coffin Hermes escape pod and fly off.
Metaphorically doesn't matter as much anymore, as the family was repaired literally. Besides, if his dad isn't on the Orestes, Sam wouldn't care about it so much, if at all. He probably wouldn't have responded as strongly to the vision, and would not be so compelled to do something to save the Orestes from the Lucifer.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Yeah, and it's also possible neither of them defected. But a lot of the crew did, judging by the final debriefing.

Offline CaptJosh

I'm going to guess that unless there was Mutiny aboard Orestes after destroying the UEF ship, it stayed under GTVA command.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Well, you can't expect many thousand individuals to make the same decision. Usually, the only opinions that really matter are those of the leaders.

I guess it happened many, many times during the NTF rebellion - what if your commander chose to defect when you wanted to remain loyal to the GTVA?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I guess it happened many, many times during the NTF rebellion - what if your commander chose to defect when you wanted to remain loyal to the GTVA?
You either go along with it since there's nothing you can do, or grab your rifle and scream "BANZAI!!!" while lunging at the reactor core.

Some campaigns that seem to feature entire crews of 10,000 spontaneously making a compound decision always strike me as pretty unrealistic and always shatter that sense of immersion that I got when I was playing BP. If it's done well it really makes it seem good but when not done well, ship defections always seem to spoil it for me.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I agree, but we do not know what happens inside a ship. What if people who don't want to defect are threatened by the others? Whoever plans to defect should take the initiative and find weapons to point at someone else's head.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Darius

Those who want to defect but their leader doesn't tend to have three options: mutiny, desert, or hand their resignation in and brave a court-martial.

Offline -Norbert-

There is of course the option of refusing to follow the unethical orders.
Depending on the commanding officers you would then either be restricted to your quaters or put into the brig, untill you can be put before the authorities, resulting in anything between an unhonorable discharge from the military up to being executed (rather unlikely though I would guess).

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
There is of course the option of refusing to follow the unethical orders.
Depending on the commanding officers you would then either be restricted to your quaters or put into the brig, untill you can be put before the authorities, resulting in anything between an unhonorable discharge from the military up to being executed (rather unlikely though I would guess).

Execution is VERY end of the line, a breathing pilot is much more useful than one floating in space.....not breathing

Offline -Norbert-

But a pilot refusing to fight isn't that much more usefull than a dead pilot...

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
But a pilot refusing to fight isn't that much more usefull than a dead pilot...

I suppose, but most CO's prefer to keep their pilots, regardless of motives, alive.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Well, it just depends how 'ruthless' the said faction is.

The GTVA would likely not execute their pilots for resigning.
Something like the Galactic Empire (SW) likely would.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline eliex

Only if Darth Vader was on it though.  :P

It's sort of ironic in a way that old Anakin would to anything to save someone - even an expendable clone trooper but being as Vader losing the Falcon warrants a Force choke sentence.

Only if Darth Vader was on it though.  :P

It's sort of ironic in a way that old Anakin would to anything to save someone - even an expendable clone trooper but being as Vader losing the Falcon warrants a Force choke sentence.

He's not killing them.  He's just showing them the power of the dark side.  By choking them to death.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline -Norbert-

He just removed the incompetent subordinates, so a more competent one could take his place. If he turns out to be as bad, just repeat the treatment. Sooner or later some competent person will fill the spot (or you run out of candidates :P rather unlikely though, considering the size of the Imperium and their ability to clone).
Apart from that, force choking them is surely also quite motivating for the other crew members to do their best and follow orders to the letter.

Which is one of the reasons why one or a few disobedient pilots might be made into examples by draconic punishment in order to keep the others in line.
Of course something like that could easily turn out exactly opposit of the intended effect, makeing some pilots defect instead of resigning.

Offline CaptJosh

Ah yes. The classic method of execution "pour encourager les autres" (Lit. Trans: "for to encourage the others"). It doesn't really work, in the long term.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Ah yes. The classic method of execution "pour encourager les autres" (Lit. Trans: "for to encourage the others"). It doesn't really work, in the long term.

It's "to encourage the others".

I suppose, but most CO's prefer to keep their pilots, regardless of motives, alive.

A pilot that may defect and/or fail missions on purpose for the benefit of the other side is dangerous. If you capture a pilot who's not willing to fight for the cause then, well, you better not have it in your squadrons.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Snail

• SC 5
A pilot that may defect and/or fail missions on purpose for the benefit of the other side is dangerous. If you capture a pilot who's not willing to fight for the cause then, well, you better not have it in your squadrons.
Well, duh.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Unless you put a self-destruction device on his fighter and force him to follow your orders.
The Lightblue Ribbon