Author Topic: Capship Glide: We Don't Need No Steenking Broadsides!  (Read 5952 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Capship Glide: We Don't Need No Steenking Broadsides!
sooo... if my team requested anything we get responses of the  "get a coder" style. anyone else request anything (especially the "top dogs" of hlp's "modding team hierarchy" get everything laid on a plate in front of them with fine little gold trimmings.

Okay, what. The_E is probably happy to tackle whatever you like if it's as reasonable and easy as this was. The_E is also a BP member so it's just really easy for us to, y'know, ask him.

Why don't you just try asking him? It took one night to implement.

We also have the advantage of being able to do feasibility checks because The_E is right there and he can say when something's impractical.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 05:01:58 pm by General Battuta »

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Side thrusters would have been nice, but they work differently in glide (only when changing speed, while it's realistic, it may not fit FS well).

Well, sort of. How sidethrusters work in relation to glide depends on your ships.tbl settings. :) Not sure what WiH uses since I haven't played it yet.

Ahem. Anyway, there's a lot of flexibility in how sidethrust (and forward thrust) are handled in glide, including the ability to make sidethrust behave EXACTLY like it does in normal flight in terms of acceleration ramping and max speed. Of course, you'd have to either rewrite the capship AI to take advantage of it or make heavy use of "direct-control" SEXPs.

EDIT: By which I mean the "ship-maneuver" family of SEXPs.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 06:58:19 pm by Sushi »

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I actually meant (and thought that Pecinipicek also did) graphical side thrusters, added using $Thruster entries.
In glide, they trigger only when thrust is applied and have fixed lenght in that mode, which is different from how normal FS thrusters behave.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Why was this stickied?

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Ooops, sorry.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

Offline CKid

Ooops, sorry.
I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline Axem

Side thrusters would have been nice, but they work differently in glide (only when changing speed, while it's realistic, it may not fit FS well).

Well, sort of. How sidethrusters work in relation to glide depends on your ships.tbl settings. :) Not sure what WiH uses since I haven't played it yet.

Ahem. Anyway, there's a lot of flexibility in how sidethrust (and forward thrust) are handled in glide, including the ability to make sidethrust behave EXACTLY like it does in normal flight in terms of acceleration ramping and max speed. Of course, you'd have to either rewrite the capship AI to take advantage of it or make heavy use of "direct-control" SEXPs.

Good sir I would be very interested in discussing these rousings.

[EDIT]Ignore that, let's all talk about catapults. I like them. They go "BROING!"[/edit]
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 10:06:26 am by Black Wolf »

Good sir I would be very interested in discussing these rousings.
Yet more drunken carousals from the captain of the Colossus-of-the-Day!
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken