Author Topic: Online play  (Read 11694 times)

I am def. not new to Freespace, though I am new to Freespace2.  It has taken me awhile to get a copy, and now that i have one i see that there are others out there that are just as interested in Freespace as I am.  I d/l the new Freespace 2 SCP full pack 1.9 and the new 3.6.somthing update, and I have set all my network connections, however i canot find any online multiplayer servers.  I cannot imagine that with this many people into it, there are no servers.  If someone could please help me find some so that i can play online it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Eddited: i have read the FAQ on getting started and how to play online, but none of the links in the FAQ seem to work....?

Offline Einstine909

• (-,-) -meh
Welcome to the HLP!!!

for the lack of the pic...

|)()()()()Welcome to the HLPBB()()()()()()()(|

Some long speach... somthing about claymores... acsess to plasma rifles resticted... flamethrowers underseats but usless cuz filled with holy water due to the production slump in napalm... oh and carl the resident shiven... give him ur arm and ur lunch will be safe???... oh and the letters (spelled gramaticly) eff, ess, three will never be put together here...or bad things will ocur...

but there is a pacth out there for netplay and somthing to do with gamewarden.com... uh help anyone?

ha first kill!

To perform the famous Welcome Beam, type <colon>welcome<colon>, like so:

:welcome:

Furl Hawkens has now been properly beamed!  :yes:

Einstein needs to work on his speech-writing. I believe someone is compling a list of all welcome speeches written in a thread called "<colon>Welcome<colon>".

Methinks you should check out the famous Karajorma's FAQ.... as I assume the FAQ you are referring to is the one in these forums...?
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Go to your data\fs2open_pxo.cfg file and open it in notepad. It should say

If it doesn't you have an old one. If you don't have one at all make a new file with that name (be careful it isn't saved as fs2open_pxo.cfg.txt) and try again. 

If FS2NetD is failing to log on you'd only see the games on your own LAN which is almost certainly none.

Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

yes, the FAQ was the one on this page, and i did not have the config file that was mentioned so i created one with the same title and info, but my online play still will not work.  the FAQ in this forum said i needed to create an account "here", where "here" was a link, but the link is not functional.  Where do i go and what do i need to do to create this needed acount.  Also, none of the movies are working, i have movie sound but no vid, does anyone know how to fix this too?

Anyone?.....

Hey dude don't expect instantaneous replies!  :lol:

What version of the movies do you have? MVE or AVI?
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

http://www.game-warden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267
ok, so i went to the site, d/l every thing, followed the FAQ instructions, set up the ports, made the profile for PXO, and tried to conect, it trys and then it fails.  How do i get it to connect?...

http://www.game-warden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267
ok, so i went to the site, d/l every thing, followed the FAQ instructions, set up the ports, made the profile for PXO, and tried to conect, it trys and then it fails.  How do i get it to connect?...
it says it will try and conect to the Fs2NetD server, and that if the system hangs it means it cant, then it comes up and says that the conection failed.  Ive disabled my firewall and it still wont work.  Any sugestions.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
If you're geting that message then you're not doing anything wrong most likely. FS2NetD went back up only a couple of weeks ago and still has some teething problems. Most likely you simply connected at a time when the server was being fixed.

If you're geting that message then you're not doing anything wrong most likely. FS2NetD went back up only a couple of weeks ago and still has some teething problems. Most likely you simply connected at a time when the server was being fixed.
i have been trying to connect every 20 or so min for the past 4 1/2 houres and still no go, i can log into my FS2NetD account and see the stats and such, but still no go, is there anythins i need to do?....

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Well I just checked and FS2NetD is up at the moment so you should be able to connect. Double check your password and username in game. It could be that simple.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Is there source code, or a binary of Tom's Build?

the improved netcode of newer scp builds is better for online play. It is highly recommended (but not required) that you use a scp build.

you are doing something wrong then. make sure you follow the tutorial to the letter. Any deviance from what is there may cause failure. That tutorial has worked for hundreds of people, it should work for you.

Offline ME$$ENGER

• The Yellow Peril
Actually it seems to be down again. I could get to the registration page fine. However, when I pinged 66.25.7.157 in command prompt it gave me four "request timed out" straight away.  :rolleyes:

BTW, my registration email was supposed to be out two hours ago. Still haven't received it. Oh well... :(

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Mine ended up in my spam folder... thanks Gmail  :rolleyes:

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Actually it seems to be down again. I could get to the registration page fine. However, when I pinged 66.25.7.157 in command prompt it gave me four "request timed out" straight away.  :rolleyes:

Ping is a bad tool for checking if internet servers are up or not as many servers are set to simply eat them without returning anything as a security measure.

Ping is a bad tool for checking if internet servers are up or not as many servers are set to simply eat them without returning anything as a security measure.

Exactly right :)

You wont be able to ping the server.

As long as the stats show up online, the server is 99% likely to be up. When the stats do not show online, the server is most likely down.

Offline ME$$ENGER

• The Yellow Peril
Hmm, now this is weird. I got the registration email and activated my account, but I still can't log in (it failes exactly the same way like Furl_Hawkens encountered). I've double checked the instruction and my settings in FS2, forwarded the required ports (even opened ALL ports for the server ip), and checked the login and password...nope, still nothing. I can log into the stat page though.

I guess I'll just wait a few more days to try again.