Author Topic: Valve's experience developing OpenGL Steam on Mac  (Read 2531 times)

Offline Echelon9

Valve's experience developing OpenGL Steam on Mac
For the benefit of those living under a rock, Steam was released for Mac this month.

This is great video discussion with Gabe Newell (head of Valve), and Jason Mitchell (Software Engineer at Valve who focussed on the efforts to get Steam on Mac).

I think it's great to hear a major games developer discuss some hard data points to back up the long suspected Apple Mac graphics performance discount. Valve have done good work getting their code to run well on Mac, and they're pushing hard to help Apple improve the (lock stop) graphics drivers and OpenGL Frameworks that are released with each release of OS X.

I dare say the experience of more gamers using a stable, well developed code base like Steam on Apple will help expose the lingering bugs in the APIs and SDKs released for OpenGL development on Mac. As the developer tooling gets better over the next year, big improvements should be seen.

Which only bodes well for FS2_Open and other OpenGL apps on OS X!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 10:46:22 am by Echelon9 »

Offline Echelon9

Re: Valve's experience developing OpenGL Steam on Mac
For the benefit of those not able to watch the whole vidcast, here is a discussion of the Mac graphics performance points above on Ars Technica.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I didn't know OS X 10.6.4 was so close.  Can't wait!  Maybe Portal will be able to keep above 25fps!
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Maybe Portal will be able to keep above 25fps!

That would be nice... :D