Author Topic: Space train concept  (Read 2055 times)

Offline LoneFan

Space train concept
I would like some opinions for developing a space train cargo ship model for FS2, using modular connecting containers pulled by a control ship, could be very long.

Re: Space train concept
I would like some opinions for developing a space train cargo ship model for FS2, using modular connecting containers pulled by a control ship, could be very long.

Depends on what you want to do with that. It's like with normal trains - if you have only 1 unit with drives, the train will be slow and become an easy target; so you would need modular engines, too. Also, you should think about what the adavantage of say, a Triton transporting several TC-TRI instead of a swarm of Tritons each carrying 1 (maybe enlarged) unit would be. Even if you did so, you would still depend on smaller units to distribute the cargo to their final destination.

Offline LoneFan

In terms of resources expended to move the cargo, it is extremely efficient. Relying on a slower paire of ships to guide the "freight cars" to their destinations, the cars themselves would be cheap, barely hulls with minimal systems. Full starships are much more complicated because of the environmental systems and supplies needed for the crews.

Well within one's borders, it would be a viable option. There is also historical precedent for armored and armed trains.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
If you do pursue this, just make sure that it doesn't have to take any evasive maneuvers or in fact any maneuvers at all.  If you have one tug ship with a long row of daisy-chained, docked cargo modules, as soon as the tug makes a turn, the cargo becomes one giant baseball bat a la Colossus.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Lorric

In terms of resources expended to move the cargo, it is extremely efficient. Relying on a slower paire of ships to guide the "freight cars" to their destinations, the cars themselves would be cheap, barely hulls with minimal systems. Full starships are much more complicated because of the environmental systems and supplies needed for the crews.

Well within one's borders, it would be a viable option. There is also historical precedent for armored and armed trains.
Depends what you want, you kind of showed the options you have here, it could be some cheap, unarmed civillian tug pulling a train of cargo containers that just needs disabling like most transports do, though unlike those ships that need to be kept intact in order to get the cargo, a train can just be blown off the front then the pirates can move in and scoop up the cargo or even attach their own tug.

Or the other end of the scale, a massive, thickly armoured train with destroyer class weaponry on it right the way down the train. Additionally in a long train some of the carriages could open up to release fighters. Or swarms of missiles... :pimp:

A train could have a problem in that it could have engines at the back burning carriages behind. Colony Wars has engine wash and cargo transports with trains of cargo. The game also has tractor beams, so that's how the issue was solved there, the tractor beams connected the cargo and the cargo was far enough back to not suffer from engine wash.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Clearly he's going for this:

(I mean yeah Galaxy Express 999 fits the spirit more but come on)

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Something along the lines of this : http://wiki.hard-light.net/index.php/AK_FR_Cintamani
That's my attempt at making a spacetrain ship. It works, as long as you follow what Trivial Psychic said and ONLY allow it to move in a straight line if the train is more than 4-5 "cars" long.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I like this concept and enjoyed it in I-war very much.   It would suit out community needs.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 08:40:42 am by Colonol Dekker »
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline LoneFan

If you do pursue this, just make sure that it doesn't have to take any evasive maneuvers or in fact any maneuvers at all.  If you have one tug ship with a long row of daisy-chained, docked cargo modules, as soon as the tug makes a turn, the cargo becomes one giant baseball bat a la Colossus.

I can only imagine, the shear destruction. Thank you collision physics.

Its too bad FreeSpace open doesn't have gimleting physics. For joints. Wait, didn't Maxim do something like that for JAD?

Depends what you want, you kind of showed the options you have here, it could be some cheap, unarmed civillian tug pulling a train of cargo containers that just needs disabling like most transports do, though unlike those ships that need to be kept intact in order to get the cargo, a train can just be blown off the front then the pirates can move in and scoop up the cargo or even attach their own tug.

Or the other end of the scale, a massive, thickly armoured train with destroyer class weaponry on it right the way down the train. Additionally in a long train some of the carriages could open up to release fighters. Or swarms of missiles... :pimp:

A train could have a problem in that it could have engines at the back burning carriages behind. Colony Wars has engine wash and cargo transports with trains of cargo. The game also has tractor beams, so that's how the issue was solved there, the tractor beams connected the cargo and the cargo was far enough back to not suffer from engine wash.

I was aiming for more than one type of car on the train. Civilian grade and military grade, both cargo and passenger. The military grade possessing thick armor, point defenses and docking points for fighters. Also, in the setting in which I am using this transport system, all trains are owned by the government. Attacking one would be viewed as an attack against the state and invoke an immediate military response. 

I was planning of offsetting the engines to the sides or above and below the main huff of the engines.

Clearly he's going for this:

(I mean yeah Galaxy Express 999 fits the spirit more but come on)

Ah, space truckers. I'm thinking of something much longer.

Exactly.
Something along the lines of this : http://wiki.hard-light.net/index.php/AK_FR_Cintamani
That's my attempt at making a spacetrain ship. It works, as long as you follow what Trivial Psychic said and ONLY allow it to move in a straight line if the train is more than 4-5 "cars" long.

Damn, someones already thought of it.