Author Topic: Download Freespace 2 SCP Pack v1.5c (Complete) by ShivanSpS  (Read 290763 times)

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Re: Download Freespace 2 SCP Pack v1.5c (Complete) by ShivanSpS
So you havent installed the game under "Program Files" directory? Or into "FreeSpace 2" directory? As these cause the problem as well
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
It never ceases to amaze me that in Windows default installation there are folders with spaces on them. Such as "Documents and Settings" and of course "Program Files".

Suggestion - wherever is the instruction that "mod directories can't contain spaces" it shoud be said like this:

Paths to mod directories cannot contain spaces.

IMO this could make the questions asked decrease in amount... At least, amongst those who know what is meant by "path".  :)
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Ah that would be it. Guess I can't keep Freespace 2 in a folder on my desktop with the rest of my games. Thanks for the help.

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
I guess I'm one of the few who is against the dropping of AVI support, partly because I'm really running out of HDD space (and files to delete). :(

But the points are valid, so I won't dispute them.

Though I have a question if you guys don't mind: will the resulting filesizes be 1) less, 2) more, or 3) almost the same, if the videos are compressed under the new format that is mentioned?

Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
If you can't fit the uncompressed MVE files onto your HD, you can always use the last build where AVI support works... though you will of course lose the benefit of all updates.

That is, until someone converts the MVE movies into Theora format.

I don't remember how much bigger the MVE files are than AVI files, but the Theora files should be close in size to AVI files (or smaller), so once they get done, you can start using them. :) They should also be of better quality, AFAIK.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
I've never heard of Theora before. Hopefully it lives up to everyone's expectations?  :nod:

Thanks for the info  :)

Four HDDs, six partitions, and none of them has over 600MB free... (Bangwal) this pitiful computer is barely running.

:(

[bang wall spelt wrongly on purpose]
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
You can run the MVEs straight off of the CDs in you know :) You don't need to install them at all.

So assuming you have the CDs that's 300MB of hard drive space you've got back :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
According to the experiments taylor has run, Theora is smaller than AVI.

So I am the only one having problems with the FTP server  :nervous:

Offline PotzUK

• PyroPort
The logs say yes m8y :)

What problem are you having?  Timeouts?

Well any time I try to download any of the update patches, I get told by Getright that the server is busy, retry in 59 seconds.

Offline PotzUK

• PyroPort
What happens if you try using a different FTP client?  I have a cap on the server of 3 connections per IP for obvious reasons, I suspect that Getright might be trying to use more?

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
@ kara

I've only got the FS1 MVE's (ST too, if they had any), and even then I'd have to search every nook and cranny of my room just to find those original discs... Then there's the case of whether or not those discs'll still work... :shaking:

@ Goober

That's good news...  :)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 07:37:40 am by asyikarea51 »
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares

Offline Christopherger

• Beyond Infinity Space Becomes Closer
    • 3D Worlds and Game Developers Research Group
I am about to get Shivan's install of FSO, should I wait for the MVE support version, or go ahead? I have some time as I will be playing the FS1 and 2 vanilla for a bit, but wanted to ask, I read through the thread and it looks like MVE is the way to go and I have tons of free HD space, so I will look forward to it, but wondered about timing.

Is the FTP working, i saw some posts about that, so I thought i would check also, and do you all recomend a client for FTP downloads? I have used Total Commanderr  but that was a long time ago and things have changed I am sure.
Admin
3D Worlds and Game Developers Group  Linedin
"We Build Worlds"

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
Ok,  :wtf:...

I stumbled upon a comment in this thread about the "no spaces allowed in mod directory" error...

My mods have never had spaces in them but the launcher would likewise never recognise them so I gave up building them that way.

So are you saying that the ENTIRE path from drive letter to mod can't have any spaces? IE if you install under "Program Files" you're screwed...

If this IS the case then that means I've been beating my head against the wall for almost 3 years because the launcher gave a faulty explination...

(oh and happy early birthday to me... English forums already sent me emails so NOBODY here say a thing! I'm depressed enough as it is.)  :p
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
That is excactly the case.

That's also one of the reasons why I despise Microsoft, putting spaces in highly relevant directories -> close to all and every program installations try to use "Program Files" as by default -> Some programs then cannot understand themselves in some situations. FSO Launcher is but one application that dislikes spaces in dir/file names.

One of the things I would like to suggest to TBP group is to change the default installation directory to anything else than "Program Files\etc\etc\..."

Offline PotzUK

• PyroPort
Would the use of quotes (") work?  If you want to 'use' directory names with spaces in a DOS prompt you need to enclose the entire path in quotes... may have the same effect?

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
I dunno... the cmd.exe and command.com are different, by the way.

Running cmd.exe directly makes the use of the console much easier and faster; for example, you can use spaces and long dir/file names with no problem; you can use tab key to shuffle through files and directories in the working directory, and of course shuffling previous commands with up/down keys also works. And you don't need to use quote marks when you ar eusing paths, even if they contain spaces.

If you run "command.com" or just "command", the DOS prompt is different. It doesn't understand spaces in dirs; what more, it only accepts 8 character dir names, and stuff like that.

For example, if you're on C:\ and you type dir. It does show you the proper names of every file and directory in C:\, BUT if you want to actually go to, say, C:\Documents and Settings\, you would have to type

cd Docume~1

and that throws you into Documents and Settings directory. The difference

So, if you have to use command prompt in WinXP, for the mercy of Spaghetti Monster don't type "command" on the Run dialog... type "cmd" instead. Of course this could be something PC-specific, but somehow I don't think so. I think it's somehow related to the fact that NT based Windows systems don't have actual, real DOS running anywhere in them, the cmd.exe is just a feeble attempt to emulate dos...

--> GOES TO TEST LAUNCHER WITH SPACES IN PATH

<---BACK

...okay, this is getting more weird now.

I just put a space into my mediavp368zeta folder; I renamed it to "mediavp368 zeta". I could select the directory without any problems whatsoever in the MOD page of the Launcher. The game run perfectly with mediaVP mod properly activated.

After this surprising result, I also put a space elsewhere in the path; namely I renamed my entire FS2 folder from "Freespace2_SCP" to "Freespace2 SCP".

Same thing; the game runs fine, the Launcher is not nagging about spaces and the mod is activated normally.

It would seem to me that whatever has been causing problems with spaces in mod names is gone. Though I don't remember seeing any announcement clearing this... Is this one of the changes that have been applied to Launcher 5.4 RC builds?

Offline ShivanSpS

I just finished the 1.9c update, the download link will be avalible later today.
(you must have 1.8/1.9a or 1.9b in order to install this update)

The Update v1.9c, incluide:
-Launcher 5.4.1-pre
-3.6.8 Zeta MediaVPs mp-710 fixs.
-CVS Build 3.6.9 RC7
-CPR Valkyrie (high textures) for fs_port
-CPR Angel (high textures) for fs_port
-HTL Athena for fsport
-Fixed cutscenes.tbl for fs_port
-Fixed missname in FS2 Ending2a/b cutscenes

Offline ShivanSpS

Ok, there is, dont worry about the .exe.exe :P