Author Topic: Download Freespace 2 SCP Pack v1.5c (Complete) by ShivanSpS  (Read 290768 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Download Freespace 2 SCP Pack v1.5c (Complete) by ShivanSpS
The problem has been reported previously but not by everyone who has downloaded the torrent.

The best solution would be to get someone who already has the torrent to generate some recovery files for you with quickpar.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline roach

The problem has been reported previously but not by everyone who has downloaded the torrent.

The best solution would be to get someone who already has the torrent to generate some recovery files for you with quickpar.

Sounds good. Any volunteers?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
If anyone who has the download wants to help out I'll be happy to talk them through how it's done. It's pretty simple.

If anyone who has the download wants to help out I'll be happy to talk them through how it's done. It's pretty simple.

I'm willing to do it, though if it's a large result file, it'll be hard to upload.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
The par2 file is no more than a few KB in size.

The program also generated repair files which vary in size. What you do is run quickpar and generate say 10MB of parity files. Roach then runs the parity file in quickpar which tells him how many blocks he's missing. All you then have to do is upload that number of blocks. It could be that the smallest block is all that is needed.

I'll make an example so you can see how easy it is to use.

Offline roach

The par2 file is no more than a few KB in size.

The program also generated repair files which vary in size. What you do is run quickpar and generate say 10MB of parity files. Roach then runs the parity file in quickpar which tells him how many blocks he's missing. All you then have to do is upload that number of blocks. It could be that the smallest block is all that is needed.

I'll make an example so you can see how easy it is to use.

Sounds complicated. Isn't the BitTorrent protocol supposed to take care of all this CRC checking and parity and such? I've downloaded the torrent three times, with the same problem each time. If anyone has this file on an FTP server somewhere, I'd rather do it that way...

Walk me through it, what files do I add, block allocation, recovery files, I'm kinda lost and I'm not used to that.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
The problem is that if you have a download on someone elses PC which is corrupt to start with you'll get the problem repeatedly if you keep connecting to them.

Quickpar is actually very simple to use. That's why it's heavily used on usenet. All you would have to do is

1) Install quickpar.
2) Download a file to the same folder you have the zip file
3) Click on it.
4) The program will tell you you need x number of blocks. Probably only one or two
5) You download that number of blocks and run the file again.

That's it.

The problem with an FTP is we're talking about a 2GB file. If you can find someone with that kind of space I'm sure it can be done but we're talking about a pretty epic upload here even before we consider the bandwidth such an file would use if people started downloading it.

Quickpar can probably solve the problem with a 1-2MB download. Furthermore once the files are up it can solve any similar sized corruption meaning that it's not just you who gets to avoid having to redownload a 2GB file. I've been suggesting that someone makes up some par files for ages but no one seems to listen to me.

Ace pace. Give me a sec and I'll show you what to do.

Okay, I added the fs2scpfullpackv15c_Shivansps.zip file, it gave me the following information, I'm unhappy to admit that I have no clue on torrenting beyond using it and therfor this is mostly greek to me.

Total block count is 2778, block size of 768,000.

Now it gives me for recovery files:
10% redundency, 280 recovery blocks, recovery data size of 217,295,160.
Assuming thats the amount of data I Will need to upload, thats beyond me, sorry.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
What it's give you there is the amount you'd have to upload to be able to recover the entire file even if 10% of the file was corrupt (around 217MB). I suspect we have much less corruption than that so I doubt we'll need anywhere near as much.

Okay. Here's a quick guide on how to build Par2 files.

1) Run Quickpar
2) Click on the Add Files button. (I've added Sparky_fs2.vp you should use the freespace.zip (or whatever was the corrupt one) from ShivanSPS's pack)
3) Leaving the other settings on default should be fine. The only one you need to care about is the Number of Recovery blocks. In the example I've generated 21. That's probably about all you should make. If Roach needs more than that a new source is what is needed. This is really just about fixing minor CRC errors.

You should now have a screen that looks like this

Your settings may be somewhat different but that really shouldn't matter.

4) Click on create and the PC will go to work making the parity files.

5) What you'll be left with is 5-6 files in the same folder as the Freespace2.zip file

The first one is the one that tells you how much you need to recover the file. So upload that one at least. Roach need only download it and click on it to be told how many blocks he's missing. If it's under 21 upload all the rest of the files, he downloads them and can simply click on any of them to repair his file.

Okay, result Par2 file was 54kb. It's location is: Here.

Offline ShivanSpS

mmm this is even posible? i mean... I never have problem in corruption of big files downloaded thoght Torrents... What client you are using? I have Bitcomet and never whave a single problem whit it...

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I've never had it happen either but it's not the first time I've seen it reported on this thread.

Offline ShivanSpS

That because Winrar... in older vercions Winrar have corruption problem on compressing/decompressing big files... is a know bug. that why I used Winzip for this pack. (and thats why everyone have problems whit the direct download vercion, that has been rar made.)

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Ah. Well if Roach runs that par2 file we'll soon have an answer as to the cause.

If it is indeed that his version of winRAR is old he'll have it come up as green and requiring no repair.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Can I add the link top an Italian site? I want to bring here many "ragazzi" ASAP.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Hello,

I am a complete freespace 2 newbie and right now I am just trying to get the retail freespace 2 version with all the cutscenes (I don't want the stripped down version).  I was able to find the .iso's for the 3 CD's from freespacezone.com but the torrent download for those are very very slow.

I then happened to stumble upon this link and found v1.5c pack torrent.  For now, I am just interested in the full retail version of freespace 2 and not so much the Freespace_Open or any of the mods.   I know the description for the v1.5c pack says that it includes the full retail version along with the cutscenes, are these files the .iso files?  Is it safe to say that this is the full unstripped verison of freespace 2?  Not like the one that HOTU offers?

Thanks for any answers,
Ex

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
You've got several choices when it comes to retail. And I wouldn't write off HotU just yet.

1) Get the isos. There are a bunch of torrent and emule links in my FAQ that you can try.
2) Get HotU and the mve movies from (Damnit I've lost the link but someone else will probably supply it). The only difference between that and the full version is that you have to have the movies on your HD and your exe is slightly different since it's cracked to let you play without the CDs.
3) Get this pack and the mve cutscenes from the same place as above. (I don't think the pack includes the ISOs. Correct me if I'm wrong).

Offline ShivanSpS

not... not the isos.. just the installed folder... but anyways I thinking about incluiding the FS2 crack in the next vercion of my pack if anyone whant to play just as retail :P

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
You didn't already? You definitely should.

Just rename the uncracked one and stick the cracked one in its place though in case anyone ever needs the original.