Author Topic: Download Freespace 2 SCP Pack v1.5c (Complete) by ShivanSpS  (Read 290765 times)

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Re: Download Freespace 2 SCP Pack v1.5c (Complete) by ShivanSpS
I tried putting the launcher and the exe into the FS1 port folder. It loaded up briefly and I saw a splash screen of the briefing cutscene but then it crashed. Alternatively I tried overwriting the data files and whatnot with FS1 port's and that worked okay.

That first idea was pretty good. It didn't do anything bad to your install. On the other hand...

That second idea was a REALLY bad one. You'll need to get back all the files you overwrote. Once you've done that, make a new folder inside the freespace3 folder and put all the port files in there. then run the launcher, go to the mod tab, and select the folder you put the port stuff in.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Ah ha! That got it. Thank you.

Still having minor troubles with the cutscenes though. The intro hardly ever loads up when it's supposed to but I can watch it through the tech room. Trouble is there it's a small window and not in full screen. Anyway I can get it to be full screen? Same goes for the animatics during the briefings, currently they're just in small little squares.

Offline PotzUK

• PyroPort
Just in case anyone's using the FTP, I've capped it to 180kb/sec as during the heavy periods (5 people downloading at once) it was slowing things down too much :)  I've thrown the latest mediavps files on there too for good measure

Yes, I´ve downloaded from your FTP and it went good (4 times as fast as the sluggish torrent-files...)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I tried putting the launcher and the exe into the FS1 port folder. It loaded up briefly and I saw a splash screen of the briefing cutscene but then it crashed. Alternatively I tried overwriting the data files and whatnot with FS1 port's and that worked okay.

That first idea was pretty good. It didn't do anything bad to your install. On the other hand...

That second idea was a REALLY bad one. You'll need to get back all the files you overwrote. Once you've done that, make a new folder inside the freespace3 folder and put all the port files in there. then run the launcher, go to the mod tab, and select the folder you put the port stuff in.

Neither idea was good. Moving the exes will not make the port work as it requires data from the FS2 VPs if I remember correctly. Moving the exes prevents it from finding that data and causes it to crash out.

Besides even if it did work it's still a rather stupid solution to the problem given that all you really need to do to make the port work is go to the launcher and click on the mod tab. Once there you'll see a select mod option. Press it and select the FS1 port button.

When you're done repeat the process but select mediavps as your mod to play FS2 again.

He won't need to create the port folders etc as this download already contains everything already set up.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Well I was just playing around with it since I couldn't figure it out. But now I've got it.

Cutscenes work intermittently but I don't care much about that. Mostly I'm wondering if I can make the briefing animatics larger? In FS1 especially, but also in FS2, they are just small windows during the overview (I'm talking about the parts actually -before- the briefing, say when your CO is talking about the failure of Operation Thresher). Right now it's basically just a little square and I'd like it if it expanded to a size more akin to the original animatics I remember from the retail version.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Get me a screenshot. 

Remember that you're probably playing the port in 1024x768 and you played FS1 in 640x480. The animations don't scale so they seem smaller.

I have a few total newbie questions regarding this version of ShivanSpS freespace:

1. Do I still need to edit the registry to get nicer graphics like i did in the retail version.

2. In what order should I play the mods that come with it? I don't know the chronological order they should be played in.

3. How do I get multiplayer in this game?

Not very familiar with freespace at all. Just starting to get into it.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Neither idea was good.

His first idea was good:
1) because it didn't erase anything he needed.
2) compared to his second idea.

that's all i was trying to say.
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Here's what I'm seeing. I'd just like to know if it's possible to have the animatic be larger than that?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hi guys.  I just created two brand new torrents that provide a full installation of FreeSpace 2.  Basically, we now have a new torrent that has ShivanSpS's pack updated all the way to 1.9c, so that anybody new to FreeSpace 2 (like me) can get everything they want in one convenient place.

I split the distribution into two very large ZIP files: one that has the base install w/ mediavps, and one that has all the other MODs.  I had to do this because not everything would fit in the 2GB file limit.

So here are the links to the new torrents:

Base: http://www.torrentbox.com/download/69932/fs2scp369-base_install.zip.torrent
Mods: http://www.torrentbox.com/download/69933/fs2scp369-mods.zip.torrent

I will seed these indefinitely, though I am on a link limited to 800kbps up, so it's gonna take a while to get a good number of seeds.  Unless there are any major objections, I highly suggest that if you're seeding Shivan's 1.5c pack, that you switch over to these new ones.  Thanks a lot.  I hope these prove to be useful.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
COMMAND: INCOMING JUMP SIGNATURE! NEW USER CONFIGURATION!

Helm! Ready all beam cannons!
Lock Beam Cannons and fire on my command!
FIRE!

NO, YOU IDIOT! USE THE BIG BEAM CANNON!
FIRE!
:welcome:

Welcome to HLP! Exits are to the right and left. In the event of a landing of any kind, you can and will be used as a flotation device. Flamethrowers are conviniently located under your seats, however, due to the recent funding cuts, a $3.5 million donation is required to obtain a flamethrower with a full load of napalm in it. If you do not wish to make a donation, your flamethrower will remain filled with water. If you don't wish to donate and still want a working weapon, you'd have to try the weapons locker. However, only HLP Admins, a :v: God, or a Hyperintelligent shade of Blue can open the lock, so you'd have to break in. If you find yourself inside a ventilation shaft and you catch a glimpse of a Shivan, you don't need to worry... much. It's just Carl, and you have two choices with how you want to deal with him:
    1. The first possible course of action is getting one of the weapons from the afore-mentioned weapons locker, and trying to ward off Carl by threatening him with the weapon. Be advised that many of the weapons in the weapons locker are covered with the blood of people who thought it a good idea to break into the weapons locker and use the procured weapon to ward off Carl. So, please, if you decide you want to choose this course of action, choose one of the already-bloody weapons, so you don't get blood all over one of the clean ones.
   2. Your second course of action when you see Carl is to throw your lunch to him and hope he isn't hungry. This is the better option.
   As a final note, please remember that any attempt to use the ASCII characters 0046h, 0053h, and 0033h in sequential order will result in you being trampled by Freespace Fanboys. Your trampled remains will be fed to Carl so that the rest of us don't have to carry around so much food for lunch.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
1. Do I still need to edit the registry to get nicer graphics like i did in the retail version.

Nope. The registry hacks are retail only. FS2_Open handles that stuff automatically.

2. In what order should I play the mods that come with it? I don't know the chronological order they should be played in.

FS1Port -> ->Silent Threat ->  FS2

That's the official path. After that you can play derelict. You may also wish to play the other campaigns that come with FS1Port before playing FS2 since that's where they sit chronologically but you should keep in mind that they aren't official.

3. How do I get multiplayer in this game?

http://www.game-warden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I split the distribution into two very large ZIP files: one that has the base install w/ mediavps, and one that has all the other MODs.  I had to do this because not everything would fit in the 2GB file limit.

While I'm not going to complain at you for doing this as its an improvement on the current download I suppose I should point out a couple of things

1) I suspect the main reason ShivanSPS hasn't done this himself is because 3.6.9 is close to release and the pack will become out of date at that point seeing as new mediavps will be released around that time.
2) If I were doing this I'd have made 3 torrents. Game, SCP (mediavps and all the extras) and mods. The middle pack is the one that changes the most often and is the one that will get old the quickest. Seems sensible to have it seperate from the others. If you want to uncomplicate things simply add the mods to the main pack as although Derelict is dead weight to a retail install you can still use FS1Port simply by moving some of the files.

Offline ShivanSpS

Ok, well I accepting suggestions and ideas for the next release of the pack :P
Even very good/funny campaing, alone missions and mods suggestions to add. If is a mod it should be small to not increase the size of the pack.

Right now I adding Aeos-Affair and Deux EX... BUT I noticing that no matter if I put the campaing files in /data or /mediavps ... if the mod link them I can see them, so it could cause problems, so I thinking about to add a mod folder for those User maked campaings, so for exsample if someone whants to play Aeos-Affair, their select the "extramissions" folder in the mod tab, keeping full compatibility which FS2 retail campaing and the new campaings will be no displayed in other mods.

I even accepting suggetions about the name of the campaing and missions folder :P
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 06:58:31 pm by ShivanSpS »

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
so I thinking about to add a mod folder for those User maked campaings, so for exsample if someone whants to play Aeos-Affair, their select the "extramissions" folder in the mod tab, keeping full compatibility which FS2 retail campaing and the new campaings will be no displayed in other mods.

I love the idea of including deux ex, but i feel that you should not group the two together. make two mod folders instead of one.

Offline ShivanSpS

so I thinking about to add a mod folder for those User maked campaings, so for exsample if someone whants to play Aeos-Affair, their select the "extramissions" folder in the mod tab, keeping full compatibility which FS2 retail campaing and the new campaings will be no displayed in other mods.

I love the idea of including deux ex, but i feel that you should not group the two together. make two mod folders instead of one.

Buts is really not a mod... well no, their have 1 .pof, but a cargo container :P

Anyway, my idea was to give an "Extra Missions Folder", there I will put all good and acceptable alone mission and campaings that uses only the FS2 datas... in this way you select this "mod" and can play many new Campaings and Missions :P

Hokay. So, I just downloaded the big 'ol torrent in the first post of this thread.

Doo doo doo, install everything to C:\ drive. (D:\ is the windows default)

So now I'm trying to play the FS1 port. Everything is great and looking pretty, but the game insists on freezing up and not going back every 30 or 40 minutes.

I am using D3D8 - I tried OpenGL and D3D5, and both of them gave me BSODs.

I am using a Radeon 9600 with... I don't know which drivers.

Help pls.

I am not sure if this problem will happen with FS2 normal, as I haven't played that campaign long enough to figure it out.

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
Do a fresh install of some current Radeon drivers for your videocard, as ATI recently improved thier OpenGL subsystem. Then, use OpenGL as your renderer in the launcher.  OGL is pretty much the only mode that works well. 

Looks really nice, from what I can see.  However, the videos are screwing up for me.  When the intro video would play, it sits at a blank screen for about 30 seconds, then the audio starts.  I never see the video.  I have Divx and Xvid installed (via ffdshow), and can view the video files fine on their own.  Anyone know what's wrong?  Would getting the video pack in a different format help?

I'm running in OpenGL mode, by the way, with a 7800GT.