Author Topic: yet another decal build  (Read 6096 times)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
yet another decal build
faster framerates shall be the answer
http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/blackwater/fs2_open_Bobboau_6-10-04.zip
shooting the hell out of a capship will no longer result in framerates of 2.1
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
yet another decal build
Ooooooooh! Downloading now! :)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
yet another decal build
Is it generally faster in-game or only at explosions?
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
yet another decal build
Not explosions, the damage decls effect the Bobboau is working on....

This one doesn't seem to slow down, but I get a funny 'intersecting poly' effect with the decals themselves, which flicker because of it, and it CTD without error after about 2 mins :(

Edit : Hold 2 mins on that, had something turned on that I shouldn't have had :(

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
yet another decal build
Oh, enlighten me:
Do I need to download something else in order to make this build work for what it was made for?

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
yet another decal build
I think you need to get hold of the decal images themselves, they were with earlier builds iirc. Other than that, what it does is leave marks on hulls when shots impact with them, making a ship look more beaten up as it gets more damaged.

Still getting the flickering alas, though the CTD doesn't seem to have repeated itself :)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
yet another decal build
Does the most recent MediaVP contain them?

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
yet another decal build
No it doesn't. The MediaVP only has stuff for 3.6.

This and everything in the works right npw are post 3.6.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
yet another decal build
So I don't have them. I disable particles by default because they disturb me in my aiming.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
yet another decal build
Um... right.

Look for a thread Lightspeed made with the new decal images. But since they are Targa's you will probably have a slowdown.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Ugh, this build keeps crashing for me, things will go smoothly for a while until something gets damaged. Then it will freeze for a few seconds before CTD. :mad:

Bigger impacts still flicker, the small ones caused by fighter guns are okay.

Is there a flag I'm supposed to turn on?

Mods:
3.6 Media VP
LS's Fighter Shinemaps and Textures
LS's Aeolus and Rakshasha texture upgrades
LS's impact effects

Flags:
-spec -glow -pcx32 -jpgtga -query_speech -bobshield -decals  -fov 0.45 -allslev  -query_speech

PC specs:
AMD 1800+
512MB RAM
GeForce Ti 4200, driver ver 60.85
SB Live 5.1

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Bobb, one of those random thoughs....

Would it be possible to use this same code to place a more permanent, larger damage decal on the hull when a subsystem is destroyed?

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
CTD = Crash to Desktop?

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Generally, yes.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Either that or "Crap! Try Debugging".
-C

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
LOL

I don't know if Bobbaou saw my earlier post, or whether it's such a stupid idea he didn't bother answering, but I'll ask again, cos it would actually be quite cool to have ;)

Basically, would it feasible to have, using the decal code, larger damage decals that are placed on the hull where subsystems/turrets were, once those subsystems/turrets are destroyed? So when a missile launcher blows up, it leaves damage marks on the hull where it was? These would probably need to be more or less permanent, but there shouldn't be more than 10-15 per ship?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Flipside
Basically, would it feasible to have, using the decal code, larger damage decals that are placed on the hull where subsystems/turrets were, once those subsystems/turrets are destroyed? So when a missile launcher blows up, it leaves damage marks on the hull where it was? These would probably need to be more or less permanent, but there shouldn't be more than 10-15 per ship?

Sick of making damage models? :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Originally posted by Flipside

Would make FS2's damage model more realistic, but it would cause a serious slowdown on slower machines.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Originally posted by karajorma

Sick of making damage models? :D

LOL Yep ;)

Seriously though, damage models are ok for larger subsystems, but I think most turrets just vanish when you destroy them, since Geomodding is not an option, I thought this might help to add to the effect of damage ;)

TopAce, I wouldn't really have thought there would be that many destroyed subsystems in game at one time?