Author Topic: Toggleable scripted mouse (v. 0.9)  (Read 31891 times)

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Re: Toggleable scripted mouse (v. 0.9)
Currently, the only thing standing in the way of most controls-related features is the way the pilot files are set up. Even though anyone can make a new control, they'll quickly run into the problem of not being able to save any mappings to it...  meaning that players would not be able to change which key maps to the new control(s) like most of the other controls (excluding the F1 - F12 keys).

FSO version 3.7 will feature a new style of pilot file that will be future proof, which means versions 3.7 and later should be able to convert/load up any version of pilot file without hassle.
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
...over the cold, bloodied bodies of the joystick elitists.  :doubt:

What gives you that idea?

The thing is, this feature is not on our (very loosely defined, not in any way binding) list of features we would like to have in FSO. As always, the most difficult thing in this regard is to find a programmer who cares enough to implement this.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline iVoid

The thing is, this feature is not on our (very loosely defined, not in any way binding) list of features we would like to have in FSO. As always, the most difficult thing in this regard is to find a programmer who cares enough to implement this.

So it was decided by the community that they didn't want this feature in FSO? Or you just mean the main coders?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

So it was decided by the community that they didn't want this feature in FSO? Or you just mean the main coders?

All he means is that nobody has stepped up to code it in. (It won't make 3.6.16, certainly. Maybe somebody will pick it up for later.)

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam

All he means is that nobody has stepped up to code it in. (It won't make 3.6.16, certainly. Maybe somebody will pick it up for later.)

I might give it a shot once 3.7 rolls out, due to reasons stated earlier.
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
...over the cold, bloodied bodies of the joystick elitists.  :doubt:

What gives you that idea?

It was brought up some time ago and there was quite a bit of squealing.  I can dig up the posts if you'd like.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
id do it but allow that control method to be disabled by the host in multi. this should make elitest snobs happy and let everyone else use the features in sp and mp to their hearts content. i really dont care so long as ships cant outperform their table specs with any particular input device.

but yea this is a ways out. ive been waiting for some serious input upgrades for years, and likely will be waiting for years to come. 3.7 has always been the mantra.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
id do it but allow that control method to be disabled by the host in multi. this should make elitest snobs happy and let everyone else use the features in sp and mp to their hearts content.

I... don't see how this control method would pose any "threat" to the "elitest snobs." But then again I'm not an elitest nor a snob so...

ive been waiting for some serious input upgrades for years

Where's your list? :D
chief1983

------------

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
buried under years of forum posts, i honestly dont remember half the things on it. but il give you the abridged version:

multiple sticks.
separate mouse binds from joystick binds (allow mouse+joystick configs).
alternate mouse modes (everything from mouse scripts).
reversible throttle axis (split forward/reverse axis or hold/toggle for reverse throttle button).
lateral/vertical thrust and freelook axes.
support for custom control functions (axes and buttons) to be defined so as to be used by scripted and sexped features. probibly best table defined and then accessible through hooks and sexps.

should point out that a lot of that stuff has been scripted to some degree. but configuring those scripts for personal preference is not very user friendly. hince the last idea. many have been around since the day the fs2 source had been released (and most of them aren't even exclusively mine).
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 01:59:21 am by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Sushi, thank you so much for the script and for the instructions. This works perfectly in "BSG Diaspora" mod, but is there a way to make this work in the Babylon Project???

Anyone, please let me know how, because as it is right now, it won't work in Babylon.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
You'd need a newer engine that supports scripting and works with TBP. IIRC BSG uses 3.6.9? So try using that build with TBP.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
er... Diaspora would need a minimum of 3.6.18?  Not 3.6.9?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Whoopsie. For some reason I mentally thought Beyond the Red Line instead. :ick:

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
:D

rockelino: the script should work with The Babylon Project if you grab the latest Zathras mod from this thread, then install the mouse script in the Zathras mod folder.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

So... Is there's any simple way to map this toggle to space bar?
And even further, have 2 modes (switchable via cfg)-
1) key press toggles mouse joystick| classic mouse
2) mouse joustick by default, hold space bar to aim in classic mode

Apreciate your answers.

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Sure thing, just have a go at modifying the script yourself. :)
chief1983

------------

Hi, I can't seem to get this to work. I did exactly this as suggested:

1. Open notepad. Paste in the first file (highlighted in green). Save the file as "mouse-sct.tbm"
2. Do the same thing for the second file, saving it as "mouse_script.cfg"
3. Go to your Freespace2 directory. Open the "data" folder, then the "tables" folder (create it if it does not exist). Put mouse-sct.tbm inside of data/tables.
4. Open or create a Freespace2/data/config directory and put mouse_script.cfg there.
5. Run the game with any reasonably recent build (including 3.6.12).

I've tried with a range of builds to no avail.

Any ideas?

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
Post a debug log please. Instructions can be found here
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

This is for 3.7.0, is it ok to use this build?

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Thanks, me and DahBlount are looking into it now.

[Edit] It looks like FSO isn't even loading up mouse-sct.tbm. Are you sure you saved it as a .tbm and not a .txt?

Some editors, such as Microsoft's Notepad require you to change the file format, even if you put a file extension on the name.

Try using the two attached files. Place the mouse-sct.tbm in /data/tables/ and mouse_script.cfg in /data/config/

Note, to enable/disable the mouse-as-joy script in-game, you press the middle mouse button.

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 06:43:07 pm by z64555 »
chief1983

------------