Author Topic: RELEASE: Vassago's Dirge *Updated Jan 18th 2014! MediaVP 2014 support!*  (Read 132776 times)

Offline Axem

Re: RELEASE: Vassago's Dirge
Madcat
Spoiler:
I won't reveal any of the spoon locations, but I will say that two containers only reveal themselves once you get close enough. And the trickiest one isn't a cargo container at all.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
press 'u' and scan away! (doing it this way is probably cheating, but what the hell...)

I found 5 of 7 IIRC, though I'm not sure where the other two are.
el hombre vicio...

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Spoiler:
If you can't find the spoons, open the mission files ! Axem was damn sadistic in hiding a few of them :) Good Axem.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Nehemiah

• I prefer exploding spaceships to blood and gore.
Spoiler:
If you can't find the spoons, open the mission files ! Axem was damn sadistic in hiding a few of them :) Good Axem.

Cheater!
The Babylon Project was our last, best hope for peace.  It failed...

No no!  I love the mod!  That's just what Commander Ivanova says at the beginning of B5 season 3.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Happy to play a campaign with lots of Italian words in it (didn't happen since Renegade Resurgence) and, more importantly, something involving classical music, which reminds me the period during which I was a true guru of the genre. :pimp: But:

Spoiler:
Someone definitely has to tell me how to beat the third mission, "Ossia". I've tried to do everything, I've even disabled the Lilith's beam turret in time, but at some point mission progress is stopped.

Something to say about the messages: I find them a bit hard to follow, as I'm busy fighting hordes of Shivans and pirates. That's something I don't like that much, because it... compromises immersion a bit. CP5670's PI, for example, was designed in a way that makes messages readable, as the most important ones are sent when the player is not involved in any chaotic dogfights.

Also, as far as I can say (please note that I haven't completed the campaign yet), Vassago's Dirge tends to force the player to disarm beam turrets all around. IMHO, missions involving the Shivans have much more potential... was it really necessary to replicate BP: AoA's mistake? I hope the mistake isn't extended to the Vassago itself, because I don't want to see a BP-style Ravana in the later missions of this campaign. Sigh.  :sigh:

That said, however, glad to notice the in-mission jump effect; I usually rely on cutscenes for that purpose, but Axem's solution is worth compliments. Nice work! :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Your concerns are unfounded (you're only three missions in, and you only have to disarm beam weapons in one mission) and the Ravanas in the AoA Director's Cut had additional weapons so that they still had teeth once the main beams were disarmed.

Offline Axem

I received some complaints on the moorings in M3, so I made it a bit easier in the newest patch. Before they were oriented left right on the part under the Orpheus. So you would have to go from one side to another, but since they're invisible this can be hard to tell. Now they are put down front and rear, so you should be able to kill them from just one side.

I realize there is a lot of chatter too, but there's just no time to put it in without breaking the flow. But M3 is the worst offender for that. I wish I could've cut it down a bit more...

Also I thought I was fairly generous with the turret sniping. But worry not, it is the only mission that you are required to do that.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Your concerns are unfounded (you're only three missions in, and you only have to disarm beam weapons in one mission) and the Ravanas in the AoA Director's Cut had additional weapons so that they still had teeth once the main beams were disarmed.

Spoiler:
In terms of plot, however, they were nothing but mobile beam weapons with fighterbays attached to them. In poor words, they weren't fearsome and relevant to the plot and went down easily. Yet again, I'd like to mention PI because it featured the Saturn, and plot-wise it was managed very well. Same thing for the NTD Phobos seen in TopAce's Renegade Resurgence... the list would be pretty long.

A while ago, I created a thread in which I complained a bit about the way Ravana destroyers are being used in custom campaigns, and members like Goober5000 agreed. But since we're going OT, we'd rather continue the discussion elsewhere.

I received some complaints on the moorings in M3, so I made it a bit easier in the newest patch. Before they were oriented left right on the part under the Orpheus. So you would have to go from one side to another, but since they're invisible this can be hard to tell. Now they are put down front and rear, so you should be able to kill them from just one side.

Spoiler:
They are inside the Orpheus and couldn't destroy them. I'm now getting today's patch, so everything should be fine in my next attempt. :)

I realize there is a lot of chatter too, but there's just no time to put it in without breaking the flow. But M3 is the worst offender for that. I wish I could've cut it down a bit more...

Spoiler:
Well, a PI-like approach (and what, for instance, mine as well) on the matter would be destroying the first wave of enemy fighters and bombers before sending the most important messages, as fire from the enemy warships in the area isn't that chaotic and allows the player to read messages carefully. After the most critical messages are sent, more enemy spacecraft could arrive without compromising action. Just a suggestion for a possible later patch, and a bit of Constructive CriticismTM. ;)

One question: why did you use classical music? :D
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I played M3 like 8 times in a row before I realized what I was supposed to do :P

But it was totally worth it.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Because the music at the end cutscene is too epically awesome to not use, and makes the coolest scene ever. :P
I'll watch the cutscene over and over just for the synchronized events.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

Spoiler:
In terms of plot, however, they were nothing but mobile beam weapons with fighterbays attached to them. In poor words, they weren't fearsome and relevant to the plot and went down easily. Yet again, I'd like to mention PI because it featured the Saturn, and plot-wise it was managed very well. Same thing for the NTD Phobos seen in TopAce's Renegade Resurgence... the list would be pretty long.

A while ago, I created a thread in which I complained a bit about the way Ravana destroyers are being used in custom campaigns, and members like Goober5000 agreed. But since we're going OT, we'd rather continue the discussion elsewhere.

That I do agree with. While I'm more comfortable with that approach to Shivan destroyers, it's not the one Vassago's Dirge uses (or other upcoming campaigns for that matter.)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Spoiler:

And members like me disagreed in a rather more cognizant way than Goober.

A mobile beam cannon is exactly what the Ravana is in terms of design. You can hardly blame campaign makers for using it the way it was clearly meant to be used. :P
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yeah. With a weapon like the LRed, if it's around...it's either going to kill things really hard or get disarmed. Vassago's Dirge used it more creatively by not
Spoiler:
letting that situation come up at all - it barely uses its Lreds.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Yeah. With a weapon like the LRed, if it's around...it's either going to kill things really hard or get disarmed. Vassago's Dirge used it more creatively by not
Spoiler:
letting that situation come up at all - it barely uses its Lreds.
Spoiler:
yeah it use some random bzzzzzz beam cannon

Offline Axem

Spoiler:
Vuvuzela Cannons?!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Spoiler:
Vuvuzela Cannons?!
Spoiler:
Yeah come to think of it the Ravana is basically a giant vuvuzela

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
FreeSpace freezes when,
Spoiler:
in Growing (Crescendo), the Shivan device powers up a colossal beam and everything fades out to white.
:sigh:

And members like me disagreed in a rather more cognizant way than Goober.

A mobile beam cannon is exactly what the Ravana is in terms of design. You can hardly blame campaign makers for using it the way it was clearly meant to be used. :P

Not really. Ships can and should be much more than that.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Madcat

If your game appears to have frozen after a fade to white, it hasn't (at least I really really hope not). Just wait for the next level to load. :)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
*facepalm*
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Not really. Ships can and should be much more than that.
Dude, you should play HW more. Ion canon frigates are just a huge beam canon with a hull and thrusters, yet it's one of the most iconic and most powerful ship in the game.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras