Author Topic: RELEASE: Vassago's Dirge *Updated Jan 18th 2014! MediaVP 2014 support!*  (Read 132768 times)

Offline Axem

RELEASE: Vassago's Dirge *Updated Jan 18th 2014! MediaVP 2014 support!*

A FreeSpace 2 Campaign

In development since: May 2009

Author: Axem

Number of Missions: 9 (6 completely playable, 3 cutscene/playable missions)

Build Required:
  • FreeSpace 3.8.0

Mods required:
  • 2014 MediaVPs
    • This mod will look for the mediavps in /mediavps_2014/ so ensure that's where your mediavps are!
    • This mod will not work correctly if you don't have the mediavps. Sorry. :(

Mods included:
    • New Ships (GTC Cretheus, GTI Polaris)
    • New Music
    • New HeadAnis
    • Some other fun stuff!

Description
    Shortly after the Sathanas is destroyed, the GTVA begins an operation to take down a Ravana-class destroyer, the SD Vassago and its fleet. Meanwhile the Vassago begins an operation of its own. But for what purpose?

How to Play:
    Find Vassago's Dirge on Knossos (super recommended) or the FSO Installer for easy installation!

Manual Installation Instructions
    Extract the below archives to your base FreeSpace2 directory under a folder named something like "Vassago's Dirge" so it looks like...

..\FreeSpace2\Vassago's Dirge\

You should see the VPs and mod.ini in there.

Open up your FreeSpace open launcher, ensure your selected build is recent enough (the mod will complain if its too old). Select Vassago's Dirge as your mod.

>>Root<<
    >>Assets<<

Contains:
    Assets: Updated November 12th 2017
    Root: Updated November 12th 2017
    Mod.ini for 2014 MediaVPs

Notes
    This campaign makes heavy use of not-very-loud music. I advise that before starting the campaign, you turn the Music volume to max and Effects to about half or 2/3s. Using builds with 3D sound may make it even harder to hear the music. I'm sorry, there's not much I can do without butchering the music. :sigh:

It has been my (and some of my Beta Testers) experience that turning on the "Disable Vertical Sync" command flag will cause problems with camera fade in and possibly some of the synchronized music events. Please have that command flag turned off.

If your game appears to have frozen after a fade to white, it hasn't (at least I really really hope not). Just wait for the next level to load. :)

Known Issues
    Text To Speech won't work with earlier versions of the campaign.

Change Log:
    Vassago's Dirge now comes with my 2_HUD and scripted message mods to make things easier to read
    A script now highlights the turrets you need to destroy in M2
    Added Custom Hud Gauges for signal detection (M3), radar lock notification (M7), and Mjolnir status (M7)
    Akheton now works on the moorings in M3
    Dream-type missions are now slightly desaturated
    Changed special explosion stuff in M5 to not crash with 3.6.12.
    Made Reprise (M5) easier (Maras do not have Tempests anymore (wtf was I thinking))
    Some little text editing + cbani file references added
    Maybe fixed the Melchom beaming things it shouldn't in M3
    Updated mod.ini for 3.6.12 MVPs
    TTS should work for the campaign now, but there may be problems turning it on with the WxLauncher.
    Made M3 a bit easier by moving the moorings to a front/back configuration instead of a left/right. Should be easier to know what to target now.
    Fixes broken True End requirements that was broken in Patch 2. Nice job breaking it, Axem.
    Fixes M8 not going onto the next mission after the... event.
    Fixes issues with the Arcadia being invisible in some missions.

FS Wiki Page
    Preview Thread with Screenshots

Have fun! :)[/list]
    « Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 10:57:45 am by Axem »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
    • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
    Re: RELEASE: Vassago's Dirge
    One of the most compelling, atmospheric, artistic mods the community has seen, delivered by an auteur and a peerless FREDder. Like the titular dirge, it is both beautiful and funereal - a desaturated journey into the most compelling and unearthly parts of the FreeSpace universe.

There are moments in this campaign that will shock, and others - more disturbing yet - that will chill you with their unsettling, eerie familiarity.

And there are ridiculously, ridiculously cool moments, masterstrokes of honed FREDcraft. Perfect, invisible control in some missions; in others feats of modding I didn't believe feasible.

Also, the use of music is just something else.

Play it.
    « Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 08:40:07 pm by General Battuta »

Have downloaded, will play tonight. One thing though: what .12 mediavps? I thought they haven't been released yet?

Offline Axem

Hehehe... uh yeah. I got to beta test the 3.6.12 mvps so I got a chance to configure everything for it. There's some script files that take advantage of some of the new stuff in there, but 3.6.10 mvps+patch should work perfectly fine.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
    • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
    Highly recommending something that isn't out yet  :(
    (´・ω・`)
    =============================================================

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
    • stargazer
      • Minecraft
      • Steam
    YES!

downloading now.
    el hombre vicio...

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
    • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
    I just finished it.
    It's cool.
    Play it now.
    (´・ω・`)
    =============================================================

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
    • Permanent yuri goggles.
      • Twitter
    Very impressive!
    Spoiler:
    I felt the piano music playing was kinda weird at first, but then I realized ALPHA ONE is retelling his story to the interviewer. It then made perfect sense to me. And then I saw the nebula and it made no sense to me at first, and I thought ALPHA ONE had an acid trip right there, but then I noticed a Deimos, a Moloch, and a nebula, and then it clicked to me...It was after Capella went BOOOOM.
    My Efforts:
    SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
    20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
    20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
    20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
    20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Offline Darius

Playing it with a cigar and a glass of red wine.

Offline SC4RY_Z0MB13

• To trust is sometimes to surrender.
    This should be required playing for every Freespace fan!  These missions are some of the most interesting out of all the mods I have played.  Vassago's Dirge is worth every penny you didn't pay!  I am going to play this through again immediately when the 3.6.12 mvps are released.
    --Whether true or false, what is said about men often has as much influence on their lives, and particularly on their destinies, as what they do.
    --Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right.

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
    Hell, it's about time. (Also known as, downloading, expect me to tumble back in later and excitedly spill my comments if Starcraft II doesn't arrive in the post)
    Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
    <The_E>   Errr
    <The_E>   *sexp

Offline Snail

• SC 5
    WHY IS MY INTERNET SO SLOW

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
    • Do try it.
    Set to download. Now I have something else to look forward to when my Calculus homework's done.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
    63%

:(

Offline Something

• Will Voice act for any mod
    One of the most compelling, atmospheric, artistic mods the community has seen, delivered by an auteur and a peerless FREDder. Like the titular dirge, it is both beautiful and funereal - a desaturated journey into the most compelling and unearthly parts of the FreeSpace universe.

There are moments in this campaign that will shock, and others - more disturbing yet - that will chill you with their unsettling, eerie familiarity.

And there are ridiculously, ridiculously cool moments, masterstrokes of honed FREDcraft. Perfect, invisible control in some missions; in others feats of modding I didn't believe feasible.

Also, the use of music is just something else.

Play it.

So....it's good then :P Downloading it now.
    Done voice work for :
    TBP Relic mini-campaign - Released
    Warzone Campaign
    Olympus Burning

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
    just got it and i am loving it sofar, my only problem is that the i am having to press f4 alot to read the comm chatter as i find it really hard to keep track of the lots of messages coming through during combat, but that could be me just being a bit slow  :(
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline Snail

• SC 5
    Well, that was one hell of a trip. :D

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
    Easily one of the most polished campaigns I've played so far. Axem's drive for perfection becomes really apparant when you beta test for him. :nod:
    If you haven't already got the message through the previous posts: Download and play this baby right now!

Spoiler:
    I'm interested in hearing how many of you got the true ending
    Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
    [02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
    [02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
    [02:44] <@Axem> well
    [02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Snail

• SC 5
    It made more sense than Transcend but I still feel like I've been mind****ed. :P

I just got to the "real" ending (with Spoon's assistance) and all I have to say is HOLY **** WTF!?!!?
    « Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 10:12:30 am by Snail »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
    • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
    Easily one of the most polished campaigns I've played so far. Axem's drive for perfection becomes really apparant when you beta test for him. :nod:
    If you haven't already got the message through the previous posts: Download and play this baby right now!

Spoiler:
    I'm interested in hearing how many of you got the true ending

Moui!