Author Topic: A random thought  (Read 1843 times)

Long time follower of the SCP, and i'm just amazed at how far FS2 has come as a result of it, and i'd like to thank you all.

Now here's my thing:

In the tech room, its always saying how it's dangerous to be near a support ship when it's exploding becuase of the large amount of explosives on board.  Although in reality, it really isn't.

Is there a way to take into account the type of secondaries on board a bomber/fighter/support ship and modify the blast radius according to the type of warhead?  IMO, an Ursa carrying a truckload of Helios' shouldn't detonate the same way a Perseus carrying a few Tornados does.
"Outside of a Dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read!!"--Groucho Marx

http://www.geocities.com/CapsFan9803--My Resume

VOLITION FOR Fs3

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
No need for an SCP change for this one. Simply extract the ships.tbl and look for this

$Expl inner rad: 100.0
$Expl outer rad: 200.0
$Expl damage: 100.0
$Expl blast: 4000.0
$Expl Propagates: NO ;; If set to Yes, then when the ship dies, the explosion propagates through it.
$Shockwave Speed: 0.0 ;; speed shockwave expands at, 0 means no shockwave

Change the values a little for the bombers and a lot for the support ship.  :D

Okay. this doesn't take into account the number of bombs left on the ship but it's a better approximation than what we have at the moment.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

There was a discussion about this, I forgot why it wasn't implemented

If this is implemented, a ship flag should be used, a weapon flag too. And a commandline. One of each to set it to "detonate", and a command line and a weapon flag to force it to not detonate,
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by kasperl
There was a discussion about this, I forgot why it wasn't implemented

If this is implemented, a ship flag should be used, a weapon flag too. And a commandline. One of each to set it to "detonate", and a command line and a weapon flag to force it to not detonate,

Game balance, perhaps?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
It would completely screw up game balance unless you made it need flags like Kasperl said but I think the reason it was ditched was simply that it was too much work for too little reward.

Sorry for being naive, but why would it screw up balance?  I'm just talking about a cosmetic explosion, not changing how often a ship explodes or changing how easy/hard it is to destroy it.
"Outside of a Dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read!!"--Groucho Marx

http://www.geocities.com/CapsFan9803--My Resume

VOLITION FOR Fs3

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
causes damage to nearby ships - that's not cosmetic
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Exactly. And if you just want to add shockwaves that would probably be okay but you can do that now. Losing half your wingmen in an explosion will have play balance issues.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Why?  Wingmen in FS2 well and truly suck.  I have played missions where it is actually easier to finish the mission(kill everything, blow something up, ect) without wingmen.  My brother actually makes a practice of sending his home before the mission gets going good.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
you must be playing on easy -- there are missions in which your wingmen are VITAL
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Exactly. Even if you only use them to draw enemy fire away from you there are missions on harder skill levels where you really need your wingmen.

Besides even if YOU don't that doesn't mean that other people don't.

Offline Cetanu

• http://165thbdhr.com/
not to mention multiplayer coops - where your wingmen are actually players ... if you don't bother about what happens there, lots of friendly fire will remind you to care :D
Work is the curse of the drinking class
Keeper of BDHR's Holy Grail of Beer

Valid PXO/F2NETD multiplayer missions - mirrors: 1,2
Additional valid F2NETD multiplayer missions - mirrors: 1,2
Voicefiles for these missions - mirrors: 1,2