Author Topic: 3.6.5 Beta Test  (Read 7968 times)

Offline redmenace

are you using the new VP?

Copy over your command line. I other words, copy and paste all of the command line args please.
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Yeah the new 3.6.5 z_pack vp.

C:\Games\FreeSpace2\fs2_open_r-T365.exe -spec -glow -pcx32 -jpgtga -d3dmipmap -dualscanlines -ship_choice_3d -targetinfo -nomotiondebris -2d_poof -orbradar -3dwarp -nobeampierce -snd_preload -env -alpha_env -decals

heres the command line.

Offline redmenace

I am insainly jealous of your computer

-env -alpha_env -decals

and try removing the animated glow maps.

Follow these directions:
Originally posted by WMCoolmon
http://www.s93727692.onlinehome.us/programs/VPMage.exe

Getting rid of animated glowmaps in the zpack:

Start VPMage.

Click 'File...', select the zpack, click 'Open' and then click 'Add source'.

Along the right side you should see a little folder called 'Data' appear, open this up to show the contents of the 'maps' folder.

Click on a file whose name ends with "-glow.ani" and press the delete button, you'll get a prompt. Repeat for the rest of the files. Be careful not to delete a wrong file.

Then, enter a destination filename into the box at the bottom (eg 'D:\games\freespace2\ypack.vp' - DO NOT overwrite zpack so that you have a backup.) and click Build VP. Your computer will sit for awhile and the HD light will flicker; this is normal. Finally, a dialog should come up telling you that the VP is done.

Finally, move the original zpack file outside your FS2 directory and try out freespace.

WMCoolmon: Can you email me a copy of VPMage so I can host?
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

add or remove these  : -env -alpha_env -decals  ?? - is env mapping fully supported now, or still buggy?

Dont be jealous red, my mem is bad either that or the mobo dont like it, cos it bsod's me every few days. I think i may try installing suse 9.2 with the 64-bit kernel, and test the iccullus build.

In the new year i wanna try to get a asus nforce4 and two geforce fx6600's or fx6800gt's(depending on funds) with 1gb of corsair xfs ddr400 cl2 memory.

Which brings me to the question , are you guys gonna support sli?
If so it would be insane ;7

I will follow those instructions for removing the animated glowmaps, i assume the same will work for the shinemaps, i can then add any newer shinemap releases from lightspeed into /data/maps, or add it directly to the vp.

BTW: That link to vpmage is dead.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2004, 07:09:38 pm by 1570 »

Offline redmenace

*sigh*
*Thinks to my self "rich boy"*(in good humor of course)

I doubt the support of SLI, unless taylor were to add it.

Remove -env -alpha_env -decals, but the ANIs are the biggest slowdown.

As for memory you could try those of kingston sticks as well
You know all about pricewatch correct?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2004, 07:26:07 pm by 887 »
              -Frederic Bastiat

Yeah something similar to price watch.

Unfortunately not a richboy but a poor lowly student on a work placement year, expecting a huge tax rebate on next payslip cos bloody work have been stealing 200quid in income tax for the last 4 months, and only just got my tax code sorted out.

Anyways If I was immensly rich i would startup a software development company, hire all the programmers in the scp and maybe steal a few from volition, buy the fs2 license and bring forth the making of the most awesome space sim ever.

Unfortunately im dreaming.

*suggests that the scp guys start writing to millionaires, and promote the cause. hehe *

Offline redmenace

hopefully that will work when WMCoolmon gets that to me
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
A quick note on the Inferno 3.6.5 builds since I've only mentioned it to a few people.  Inferno build pilots are not compatible with standard FSO (even 3.6.5) pilots and so they are stored in a different directory (data/players/single/inferno/).  Inferno builds also disable all multiplayer on build since that's broken and we don't want bug reports on it.

Speaking from a strickly OpenGL point of view I don't know if anything is required to make use of SLI.  It's mostly a hardware/driver thing so at least in OGL mode it should just work.  Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but remembering the old 3DFX way that's all it took.  I haven't looked at anything but a basic writeup of the new NVIDIA technique but it looks to work pretty much the same, requiring only the right drivers.  There is no way I'm making D3D changes (if needed) to support this so it might be a good idea to start begging Bobboau now. :)

@xenobyte6666: Most AMD64 boards are rather sensitive to the memory used.  I bought a new gig for my system since the old memory wasn't verified to work.  It might have worked but I didn't want to chance it.  I just made a CVS commit to icculus.org yesterday to fix recently reported bugs so it's a good time to have a look if you want.  The new Linux version of FSO is *still* in the works.  I'm most of the way through getting everything crossed over into a stable tree (including true specmap support in OpenGL!!) so all that's left is a lot of build testing and a double and triple check of the code to make sure I didn't miss anyting.

I have found in the past in FSO that when the openGL mode works, it tends to run a lot more smoothly than D3D. Is this due to my card or that theres less stuff been implemented in openGL. Or just that openGL is just better ?

I will dig out an empty hdd and put suse 9.2 on it , and see how it goes. Hopefully this time it will work properly. In the past i have had problems with 64-bit builds of linux( tried fedora core 2, suse 9.1, gentoo) - there was a bug in the kernel that stopped it from detecting eth0, even when i installed the kernel source and recompiled the via rhine family ethernet linux driver thing it still wouldnt work. Many forums that I looked at said it was a kernel bug. Hopefully its been fixed.  

*Waits Patiently for VPmage*

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
Still have that wierd disco-type bug whenever I go into any Nebula mission.
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Just did a nebula mission and it was fine. Are you using env mapping?
i think that may cause it.

Offline redmenace

Originally posted by Singh
Still have that wierd disco-type bug whenever I go into any Nebula mission.

post a screen shot.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Starting to download... no bugs so far. :D
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Singh

• Degrees of guilt.

Offline redmenace

So bob what do you think?
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
If you ask me, I deem the problem must be around the nebula displaying code.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
does this happen when environment mapping is disabled?
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Singh

• Degrees of guilt.
env maps weren't ever on in the first place.

This is the commandline im using at the moment. And have no disco problems. I did have disco problems on ships(hecate and other huge ships), nebulae etc.. with the old media vp and the  20041106 build.

C:\Games\FreeSpace2\fs2_open_r-T365.exe -spec -glow -pcx32 -jpgtga -d3dmipmap -dualscanlines -ship_choice_3d -targetinfo -nomotiondebris -2d_poof -orbradar -3dwarp -nobeampierce -snd_preload

also what kind of gfx card have you got, and is it latest drivers / directx blah blah....
Are you using the 3.6.5 vp files, if so have you removed the old ones, also have you got any conflicting files in /data/maps/ or /data/anis or something like that.

Sorry to be asking stupid questions but its good to check everything.

Offline Singh

• Degrees of guilt.
now im getting this error when trying to get into a mission:

Error: Out of memory.  Try closing down other applications, increasing your
virtual memory size, or installing more physical RAM.

File:U:\src\cvs\fs2_open.testing\code\GlobalIncs\WinDebug.cpp
Line: 1495

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------
    KERNEL32.dll 7c4e87f5()
------------------------------------------------------------------

Flags:

E:\FreeSpace2\fs2_open_r-T365.exe -spec -glow -jpgtga -targetinfo -nomotiondebris -pcx2dds -d3d_no_vsync -snd_preload -no_set_gamma -dnoshowvid -novbo -decals  -ambient_factor 75

Card: ATI Radeon 9200SE, Directx 9.0c, using the ati 4.4 cat drivers.

3.5.6. Zpack installed (no other media .vp) also i deleted my data/effects and data/maps folder recently to clear out everything. I only put LS's new shineymaps and ooo--prettyglowmaps in, along with his nebula stuff.