Author Topic: Direct from CDs?  (Read 2194 times)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Is there a way to get the complete set of VPs from the CDs (other than installing through cedega)? I've tried cabextract and unshield, but neither were able to understand the .cab files used on the FS2 discs.
-C

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
unshield has always worked for me.  I know cabextract won't work since it's for Microsoft CAB files and FS2 uses InstallShield CAB files.  Did unshield give any error messages or anything?

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Er, yeah, it did, but it looks like my problem is that I assumed you could open CAB files out of order. (ie opening data3.cab on disk 3 instead of disk 1)

I am, however, getting another error (Looks like a disk scratch):
$ unshield -g "High Res Files" x -D3 /cdrom/data1.cab
[unshield_read_headers:226] Reading header from .hdr file 1.
[unshield_read_headers:281] Version 0x01005201 handled as major version 5
[unshield_get_cab_descriptor:81] Cabinet descriptor: 00002aeb 000050db 000050db 00000014
[unshield_get_cab_descriptor:83] Directory count: 5
[unshield_get_cab_descriptor:84] File count: 270
Cabinet: /cdrom/data1.cab
File group: High Res Files
  extracting: ./High_Res_Files/sparky_hi_fs2.vp
[unshield_reader_read:462] Failed to read 0x00001be7 bytes of file 12 (sparky_hi_fs2.vp) from volume 1. Current offset = 0x1985f000
Failed to extract file 'sparky_hi_fs2.vp'.
 --------  -------
          0 files
« Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 05:10:21 am by 374 »
-C

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Hmm, I don't remember the source right now but I think it's not a matter or reading out of order but that it needs the .hdr file in the same directory as the .cab.  I know that I've copied *.cab and *.hdr from all of the discs to one directory and then extracted fine before skipping to the parts that I wanted.

What was your pwd when ran unshield?  If you've got the HD space then you might just want to do what I do and copy it to the hard drive and extract there.  If you can't copy them to HD then it's most certainly a CD problem.

You just did a computer hardware upgrade right?  Might be worth making sure that large copies off of a CD still work.  I think that I initially messed up my DVD drive when I switched to SATA HDs and replacing the ribbon cable with a higher quality one fixed it (could have been more of a user related error though ;)).