Author Topic: Idea mill: Curvable Beams  (Read 9045 times)

Idea mill: Curvable Beams
Yes, I know it completely defies the laws of physics (and FS2 canon I might add), but I suppose this might work for some kind of advanced ubertechnology never seen before. What I propose are beams that can curve, like some sort of space lasso, lashing out into space like a whip and snaring targets in its destructive force.

Thoughts?

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Re: Idea mill: Curvable Beams
Actually it doesn't defy the laws of physics.  If there was something with a gravitational field strong enough beams should bend.  Of course I don't see too much combat going on near a black hole.  Of couse if you had some kind of point singularity weapon go off near a beam....  Or how about jump points in the Wing Commander sense?
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Shade

Not to be rude but, no. I honestly can't see any way it could possibly look good, only ridiculous. Also, suspension of disbelief is very important to games like FreeSpace, and something like that would utterly ruin that - You might as well put a big fat neon sign inthere saying "Hey, look, you're really just an overweight nerd in front of monitor and not Alpha 1: Savior of the Galaxy, so snap out of it!".
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Curved beams remind me of an anime character with a whip as one of her weapons.

But I think it's odd to see a funky-bad-film-effect-style beam whiplashing the side of an Orion... O_o

Interesting idea though.
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Would look good in JAD 3 or DEM 2 though :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

That curved enough for you?  :lol:
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

I have seen series where gravity is used as an strategy point in the curvature of beams, though is not exactly, barely the gravity affect slighty the trajectory of a non guided weapon, like beam, laser and other light weapons, but remember that even less than single degree can make a shoot miss their target considerably.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
you can make a beam of charged particles curve, all you have to do is run it through a magnetif field.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
Would look good in JAD 3 or DEM 2 though :)

I can see it now

Captain: Starboard beams, open fire!
First Mate: But that cruiser is to our port
Captain: Doesn't matter
<beams fire from starboard side, loop around and hit the cruiser>
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

I can see it now

Captain: Starboard beams, open fire!
First Mate: But that cruiser is to our port
Captain: Doesn't matter
<beams fire from starboard side, loop around and hit the cruiser>

Like this?

^_^
Find me as Hojo Norem elsewhere...

butter_pat_head... a name picked in sheer desperation more than 10 years ago from some super obscure Red Dwarf reference.

sorta, except those beams are more like energy tentacles or projectile weapons with really long light trails...

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Though using neutral particles would be smarter in space.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Apparently I am the only one who remembers either Macross or its American version Robotech.
Those beams curved, bent, and still looked kick-ass and realistic.

(Though they were fired *across* astrometic distances)
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

sorta, except those beams are more like energy tentacles or projectile weapons with really long light trails...

Well in the show that pic was taken from (DieBuster Ep 2 if your'e wondering) those beams are suppost to be lasers and thusly operate under the standard Anime physics model (light slower than sound, robots the size the Earth, etc) for example, the target those ships are fireing at moves faster than the beams do!. ^_^
Find me as Hojo Norem elsewhere...

butter_pat_head... a name picked in sheer desperation more than 10 years ago from some super obscure Red Dwarf reference.

if you were manipulating gravity on the level where his were doable wouldn't gravity suddenly become the much more viable weapon?

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Both of you seem to forget that lasers aren't visible in space....and their progress wouldn't be 'seen' anyway....so they are more likely streams of plasma moving fast (that would be both visible and would have a visible moving progress).

Though plasma weapons are stupid...

....never the less in videogames and anime they are called lasers and they act as they do.

(and I just killed a bunch of catgirls)
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Both of you seem to forget that lasers aren't visible in space....and their progress wouldn't be 'seen' anyway....

That's true only for a perfectly controlled beam. If your beam has enough spill-over (Light that isn't perfectly aligned with the direction of the beam), they'd be easily visible.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Both of you seem to forget that lasers aren't visible in space....and their progress wouldn't be 'seen' anyway....

That's true only for a perfectly controlled beam. If your beam has enough spill-over (Light that isn't perfectly aligned with the direction of the beam), they'd be easily visible.

You have answered your own proposal: spill over. There is no such thing in space. There is no gas, no nothing, nada, zip out there that would scatter the light and make it bounce into your eye.....hence laser beams are invisible.

Actually there IS a scattering thanks to interference between the photons that make up the beam, but that would only slowly defocus it, not scatter it all over the universe and make the beam a radiant phenomenon.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
You have answered your own proposal: spill over. There is no such thing in space. There is no gas, no nothing, nada, zip out there that would scatter the light and make it bounce into your eye.....hence laser beams are invisible.

Actually there IS a scattering thanks to interference between the photons that make up the beam, but that would only slowly defocus it, not scatter it all over the universe and make the beam a radiant phenomenon.

Spill-over could easily be caused by imperfect focusing mechanisms in the beam cannon itself. If the cannons don't get the beam tight enough, it could spill over enough to loke like those in game.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie

Spill-over could easily be caused by imperfect focusing mechanisms in the beam cannon itself. If the cannons don't get the beam tight enough, it could spill over enough to loke like those in game.

Please go over your optic lessons again - and check the wikipedia.....or Winchel Chung's site.....or ask a physics teacher/professor. They will all support what I said.
BTW If the weapon so heavily scattered light it would be a spotlamp not a coherent beam weapon.