Author Topic: Idea to improve graphical appearance  (Read 2778 times)

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Idea to improve graphical appearance
I had an idea. For blended polygons (explosions, shockwaves, etc.), if they intersect something, instead of just doing a standard depth test, could we not somehow make the blended object less opaque the farther behind the next opaque object it is?

This way, you won't have a sharp line where, say, a blast intersects a hull.

I've seen it done in Direct3D, but I imagine it is just as doable in OpenGL (tho it might require GLSL, which wouldn't please me very well, as I can't run that stuff).

Concept, created in GIMP. The exact blending function would probably take some trial-and-error to get it to look right.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 03:09:02 pm by Aardwolf »

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Re: Idea to improve graphical appearance
I think you could manually work around the GLSL limitation.

- Check for intersections along along all of the lines that make up the particle polygon
- Compute the position of those intersections.
- Cut the particle up based on those intersections.
- Set the 'inside' points to be completely transparent
- Let OpenGL's blending do all the work.

Seems like it'd add a hell of a lot of calculations, but OTOH that's only if particles are close enough to a ship.
-C

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
this gives me an idea for scripting. a function where i can specify a vector in world space, and then it checks if its inside another model, returning a bool (or possible a handle to the ship that its in).
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
This is just the so-called "soft particles" that gets thrown around these days (as a selling point of DX10 mainly, though it's nothing special to D10).  This requires SM3.0 support or greater, which means that it's just a high-end shader thing.  Eventually we'll be able to support that as well, but we really need a material system first to make it easier and more flexible to actually do such things.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Yeah I know, I just had forgotten the name and wasn't sure other people knew it anyway.

Also I figured it might be doable with GLSL, even tho my pathetic Intel graphics card can't run the stuff.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
rather than be wasteful and start my own thread, i thought i'd ask here:

When do we get engine glows back?
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Are you running any shaders packages? I'm going to leap to the conclusion that you're using an XT build.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline wolf