Author Topic: Feature Request: moddable radar ranges  (Read 2495 times)

Feature Request: moddable radar ranges
So with the feature freeze ending soon I'd like to make a feature request.
I've been informed that the cyclable radar ranges(2K, 10K, infinity) are currently hard-coded. I'd like to request that they become moddable through a HUD table flag or mission settings, with more than 3 ranges if possible.
This would be useful for mods that use speeds and ranges different from standard Freespace ones and it would help with certain types of missions like stealth where the detection range is greater or about equal to 2000m as setting your radar range to just over detection range would help know when a fighter is getting too close without having to target them.

The default 10K setting is also too close to infinity with standard Freespace speeds which can make the radar crowded with units you don't care about while 2K is a bit too short to monitor relevant battlespace.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Re: Feature Request: moddable radar ranges
I'll definitely second this feature request.  I'd even love to give each ship its own radar range, with that range being dynamic depending on the presence of other ships.  For example, when an AWACS ship is present, the range of all nearby friendly ships is increased.

Stuff like this being non-moddable makes no sense when the engine freely supports velocity and range mods that totally change the scale of the gameplay space.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Stuff like this being non-moddable makes no sense when the engine freely supports velocity and range mods that totally change the scale of the gameplay space.
In order to make the number of radar range settings variable would require rewriting basically all of the relevant code for a convenience feature that an enterprising FREDer can fake anyway.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Maybe you couldn't do it per ship easily but having it come from game-settings.tbl should be pretty easy, right?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Maybe you couldn't do it per ship easily but having it come from game-settings.tbl should be pretty easy, right?
If you mean making the 2 non-infinite values come from a table, yes, that should be pretty easy. Making it work per-ship would only be slightly harder. The thing I was talking about requiring a rewrite would be having a variable number of ranges to select from.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

2 non infinite values? Would it be hard to make the infinite value moddable too? I think 3 settings should be enough for most things, especially if you can free up that infinity slot and change it to something more useful. I'd love to have more than 3 but if that's too much work for a convenience feature then 3 fully moddable settings would be pretty good.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 10:37:28 am by FrikgFeek »
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Maybe have it so the value -1 sets that range to infinity?  Wouldn't want to lose the infinite.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Actually, I just figured people would want to keep the infinite setting; making all three moddable would be as easy as two, because it's actually not infinite, it's just 10,000,000 meters.

Yes, really.

Code: [Select]
float Radar_ranges[RR_MAX_RANGES] = {
2000.0f, // short
10000.0f, // med
10000000.0f, // infinity
};

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Well, 10 million metres might as well be infinity considering that's an order of magnitude above the map size limit.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
I'm looking into it and it seems promising. I had my own repository to work on, and I wish I want to work on it.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...