Author Topic: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)  (Read 592239 times)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Re: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)
Don't forget to tune into citizencon https://go.twitch.tv/starcitizen (its on, at the moment of posting)
and laugh at all the bull****
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Luis Dias

have they got the whiskey glass rendering right, or are they still not rendering the caustics correctly is all I wanna know k

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
dear lord this is boring
they're presenting inverse kinematics as if its never been done before.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
Very nice movement animation tech being shown. Finally a game where feet are not stomping around randomly but take physics into account.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Very nice movement animation tech being shown. Finally a game where feet are not stomping around randomly but take physics into account.
NEVER BEEN DONE BEFORE. NO GAME HAS THIS EVER.
Have you even played a game in the recent 10 something years?
Urutorahappī!!

Cool.
Where's the rest of the game ?

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Footplacement on slopes is super important to this space sim game.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline 666maslo666

NEVER BEEN DONE BEFORE. NO GAME HAS THIS EVER.

Have you even played a game in the recent 10 something years?

Actually most games dont bother with inverse kinematics and just play a simple animation and certainly very few games (if any) have such advanced inverse kinematics that things such as walking on stairs or walking over detailed physics objects is correctly modeled. Which was the point of the technology shown. Your video with enormous terrain polygons almost bigger than the character proves nothing.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline Luis Dias

have they already previewed their boat mechanics or not, I mean they do have water planets right? Come on, sails' physics man.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
People bought tickets for this
It's amazing how much of nothing they have to show.

Actually most games dont bother with inverse kinematics and just play a simple animation and certainly very few games (if any) have such advanced inverse kinematics that things such as walking on stairs or walking over detailed physics objects is correctly modeled. Which was the point of the technology shown. Your video with enormous terrain polygons almost bigger than the character proves nothing.
My video demonstrates that this technology has existed for over 10 years, you numbnuts. Cig did nothing new, they just refined something that has existed for over a decade, and try to pass it off as something revolutionary, new and exciting.

And suckers like you fall for it, hook line and sinker.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline 666maslo666

My video demonstrates that this technology has existed for over 10 years, you numbnuts. Cig did nothing new, they just refined something that has existed for over a decade, and try to pass it off as something revolutionary, new and exciting.

And suckers like you fall for it, hook line and sinker.

The only one who thinks CIG claims to have invented inverse kinematics is you. They did not invent it, but they certainly pushed it to new heights, as shown when the character was walking over detailed physicalised objects.

Offline Aesaar

And yet their animations still look like ****.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Answer in 10 words or less: what in the hell does hyper-realistic foot physics modeling add to how enjoyable the gameplay experience is?

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
So besides the foot fetish stuff did this event present anything else worthy of animated gif fodder?

I need to slurp up some new SC memes

“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Mikes

Answer in 10 words or less: what in the hell does hyper-realistic foot physics modeling add to how enjoyable the gameplay experience is?

What it does is add a fig leaf of a justification for why everything takes longer and longer and longer ... and they are further from release now than they already said they were years ago.

You can't just come out and say "Uh sorry guys, we suck at this and we tried to make basic gameplay work and it still sucks. We're really trying, but we keep failing because we're not good enough."

Sounds much better if you say "Ah well it's gonna take a bit longer mmm yeah because you know those ultra realistic physics, takes time mm k, no other game has this, you know?".

So inverse kinematics in Cry Engine is a performance-killer.  I know because MWO had to turn the feature off, and when PGI (a small, third-rate developer whose single, awful game stays afloat on the strength of nostalgia for MechWarrior and BattleTech) needs to drum up excitement for a future patch, they make an empty promise about being able to turn IK back on without tanking framerates.

Yeah, CIG has now sufficiently debased themselves to invite comparisons to PGI, despite having enough money and employees to buy and populate an island in the Pacific.  That's pretty sad.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I'd like to know how much time and assets they spent developing foot physics and other smoke screen projects in order to justify lack of progress on the main game, and how far along they would be if those resources were spent towards resolving main game-play issues.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll

Don't think too much about non-important stuff like gameplay... instead buy this shiny new Intel Optane SSD and get that other shiny new spaceship!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 02:30:28 pm by Col. Fishguts »
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Source engine uses IK for foot palcement, HL2 and portal and TF2 etc etc.

Also Battlefield 3 and 4, both i may add use vehicles which don't kill their occupants.  (and previous games used much bigger mobile command craft)

Not sure if ARMA uses it too maybe?

How can CiG take something that works and make it less than the status quo for how it should operate?

Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

ocarina of time had basic IK foot placement
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.