Author Topic: Exile - Discussion  (Read 58787 times)

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Official discussion thread for the Into the Dark Waters and other things related to the mod.

Go ahead guys :D. We are open for questions and discussion.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Congratulations on hosting! I guess that means you have something to impress the admins. :) I don't suppose the first act is going to be ready to play anytime soon?

If not, then I'd like to know more about this project and how it intends to act as a follow-up to the story of FS2. Politics, motivations, history, etc. Posting "Intel" tech room entries intended to be available at the start of the campaign would be an excellent conversation starter.

And, as we've seen with Shadow Genesis, you really need a dispassionate editor on staff to maintain quality control from an early stage.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
No :P. Believe me, Exile is nothing like Shadow Genesis. SG was just a first attempt at making megaproject and very partial success attempt at making high-quality mod.

Exile is something different. A mature mod, mostly inspired by top quality mods like Blue Planet, Vassago's Dirge etc. I would not insist on hosting if I don't have anything worth to be hosted here. We really made a progress since SG.

I'm not considering SG as a failure, but rather as a test. What community wants, and what our team really want etc. I don't want Exile to be judged through the SG, but rather as something that raised based on experiance gained from Shadow Genesis.

Into the Dark Waters is currently in Beta stage. We have full campaign fully playable, and soon we will begin beta testing.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 05:29:25 pm by Betrayal »
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Lorric

I wonder how long it's been since we first started hearing of this "Mystery Project?" Feels like well over a year, is that right? I hope it is a success. :nod:

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
ITS ALIIIIIIIVE!!!11!1!1one!1
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I wonder how long it's been since we first started hearing of this "Mystery Project?" Feels like well over a year, is that right? I hope it is a success. :nod:
Something like that. After a lot of troubles, we are on the last lap.

It's time to rid off the "mystery" tag from this project. Or, at least, partially :P

Offline eicca

Definitely intrigued! Is it voice-acted?

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
First release of Into the Dark Waters has no VA, but we don't deny it at all :P. Mostly because we are focusing on cool and bug-free gameplay. So VA is possible in the future :P

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Well... my interest is clearly piked  ;7

Come at me bro!
el hombre vicio...

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
my interest is clearly piked
so violent
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Crashdown117

• You can't take the sky from me
    • Steam
Just drooling on my keyboard right now ;)
"Flying is easy, landing is hard" - Delta-07

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Vidmaster likes this, though he would probably like it even more when voice acted :-0
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Vidmaster likes this, though he would probably like it even more when voice acted :-0
Believe me, me too :P. Cool storyline, shiny models and good missions must be enough for now. I hope you will like it :D

Offline CT27

This looks cool and I'll certainly play it when it comes out. :)

VA would be good too, however, my advice would be to do the regular campaign first and maybe have version 2.0 down the road have voice acting.

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
I want to play it! Looking forward to it :)
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Wanting to collaborate or working on it. Looking forward, though! :)

Anyway, I've got a mod started in December 2014, when can I host it?
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Wanting to collaborate or working on it. Looking forward, though! :)

Anyway, I've got a mod started in December 2014, when can I host it?
I may PM you if you need your skills :). For now we are full team, have proper beta-testers and not recruting new team members.

You can actually post your request in this forum. However in case of Shattered Stars or any other project you have, I don't advise it.

I'm not gonna discourage you :P, but face the truth. I'm here from.... 7 years? I've released tons of stuff, collaborated with numerous people on various projects, and I do a lot of things here. In short, I'm known. Before Exile two projects got hosting here - Frontlines by Black Wolf and Dimensional Eclipse with Droid803 in command. All three of us are old modders with lot of experiance. If HLP Administrators grant somebody's project hosting, it mean trust.

You have two unfinished projects with no stable future, four started models, one finished one thanks to collab with me. I think you need... A little bit more to show yourself as potential project leader of hosted project. It's not my call anyway.

Keep in mind mow many archived projects are here, and the names are Admiral Nelson, Galemp, Shiv etc. Modders older than me, all well known. HLP high rulers are your friends, but I'm fully aware why they are quite cautious at granting hosting for new projects.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 10:25:34 am by Betrayal »

Offline CT27

Between this and Shadow Genesis Reborn you're going to have a busy year huh? :)

Offline Macielos

Between this and Shadow Genesis Reborn you're going to have a busy year huh? :)
Well, we already have, we've just kept it secret before :P. But yes, we want to release Exile and then at once switch to Shadow Genesis.