Author Topic: Exile - Bug Report Thread  (Read 8721 times)

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Exile - Bug Report Thread
If you encounter technical issues or any problems, this thread is dedicated for it.

Known issues:
Spoiler:
Missions:
- End of High Heavens - ORS frigates don't fire upon the Rakshasa despite no turret-lock or protect-ship flag. They start firing again if you order all fighters to attack the cruiser (C/3/1)
- Hotkeys are sometimes not working in mission although they are present in Fred. They usually work if you add them manually from F3 menu, but only for the current wave.
- Rain of Stings - you cannot advance into the next mission if you lost Nandi freighter back in Through the Red Sea. A problem with ship save/load conditions. Workaround: delete or rename file data/scripts/exile07ships and replay the mission without using a checkpoint, you should be able to advance.
- Day of Reckoning - Ironclad's main cannons fire all around SFg Balam and none of them aim correctly.
- Sol Invictus - Ironclad's glowpoints are displayed in front of the fleet in the first part of the mission.

Modpack:
- Textures of Sky Garden are blurry, and station is lacking its debris textures.
- Multipart turrets of Tychicus and Syr Darya are not working.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 12:20:40 pm by Macielos »
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Re: Exile - Bug Report Thread
Spoiler:
I've been having an issue on Punishment, the mission after I failed to disable the Cyaegha (Hunting the Hunter).

I gather it is possible to disable the Cyaegha in Hunting the Hunter, but I was not getting anywhere close to enough hits on its engine to disable before it jumps out, so I eventually gave in and jumped out to end that mission and follow the Cyaegha.  Got no errors there.

In Punishment, I've successfully taken down the Cyaegha over and over again without losing any capital ships in this mission, and I'm getting an ending that indicates that the mission, while grim, was successful.  But when I try to accept and go to the next mission, I get an error saying that the mission was a failure and I cannot accept.

Has anyone else run into this problem?  I've even gone so far as to let myself die several times in a row so I can advance past this mission, but all it does is advance me to the very same Punishment mission again!  I really don't want to have to start over from the beginning of the campaign.
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Meh... Failure conditionals went nuts. I guess it's another issue with removed loop [replaced with branch].

We're on it.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Macielos

Yep. There's a bug in advance condition of Punishment. If you go to Punishment (instead of replaying Hunting the Hunter and destroying the engines), you're stuck. It seems we missed it in beta-testing because everyone destroyed the engines on time in final playthrough.

I've never done that, but perhaps it is possible to edit the pilot file and rollback your progress to Hunting the Hunter so you can actually destroy the engine and advance to next mission. Otherwise you'll need to wait for the hotfix.

Anyway we'll speed up work on the patch. Expect it this week. I think it'll be possible to fix this without losing your campaign progress.

Offline Macielos

We released a hotfix. Grab it from library thread.

When I first downloaded and played through Exile, it seemed like everything ran fine for me.  However, I have since had to move my installation of FS2 as well as my mods to another drive because, well, big mods are big.
Now, after every mission, I get a message saying that I have run out of memory, something I find impossible for FS2 because I have 32GB of RAM and use x64 FSO .exes, so I sincerely doubt it's actually using that much RAM.

I've tried to run Exile in debug, but an error message in loading won't even let me get to the pilot menu (something about the game not being able to find a certain sound or something).  As a result, I'm having issues trying to get a fs2_open.log for you.
I've tried verifying file integrity for both FSO and Exile, but everything checks out.

Going to try reinstalling Exile, but I doubt that will do much.

EDIT 1: Got the "missing sound" error message again.  Here it is:
Code: [Select]
Warning: mv_effects-shp.tbm(line 197):
Warning: Could not find game sound with name '252'!
File: parselo.cpp
Line: 301

I should also mention that running Exile normally results in an error at the pilot screen indicating that there have been 203 warnings/errors generated by the mod.
Oh, and if you could recommend a way I could get past warnings like the one above to get to the main game so I can actually generate an fs2_open.log file, I'd greatly appreciate it, since I've had issues like this with trying to do the same thing for other mods.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 09:08:54 pm by TheLocalTechPriest »

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Oh, and if you could recommend a way I could get past warnings like the one above to get to the main game so I can actually generate an fs2_open.log file, I'd greatly appreciate it, since I've had issues like this with trying to do the same thing for other mods.
fs2_open.log is generated the moment the executable starts; you already have one.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Alright, if you want an incomplete log of the loading errors/warnings, then here you go.  I wanted a way to get past the warnings because I wanted to log them all instead of just the first one on loading.

EDIT: Oof, just realized how hostile that sounded.  My apologies.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 10:25:22 pm by TheLocalTechPriest »

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
The way you continue past warnings is to hit "continue":

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews

Hi there. FYI when I install and try to run this via Knossos I too get the 203 warnings/errors pop up screen.

Any advice re how to fix this is greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Iain.
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

I think it's the same issue as this: https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=95157.msg1874623#msg1874623

Maybe the team should set the Knossos dependency to MVP_2014 until they release an update. But if they're all sound issues it shouldn't be that a big problem.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
We encountered this issue when players tried to launch Exile using newer MVPs. Exile is compatible only with 2014 and it should be set as dependency by default. It's listed as MVP 3.8.0 3.7.2 on Knossos.

Do not even try to launch it with MVP 2018. I have no idea what changes were made there. I need to investigate it before we launch some patching.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 10:49:17 am by Nyctaeus »

No, MVP 2014 is listed as 3.7.2 on Knossos.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
If anyone encounter this 203 errors, it's somehow caused by recent nightlies. Try to launch it on 3.8.0 or 3.7.4.

Offline Madeye

• Knowledge is power
I know it sounds weird but...
How to  change media vp for Exile in Knossos? I honestly cannot figure it out. :/

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
How to  change media vp for Exile in Knossos? I honestly cannot figure it out. :/

Check MediaVP's in the Explore tab. On the top left should be a version number (current 3.8.2) that you can click and choose which version you want. DL 3.7.2 if it's not installed.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
You remind me that I need to do some adjustments for Exile, to pick MVP 2014 and FSO 3.8.0 by default.

Offline Madeye

• Knowledge is power

Check MediaVP's in the Explore tab. On the top left should be a version number (current 3.8.2) that you can click and choose which version you want. DL 3.7.2 if it's not installed.

And then just "back"? Because nothing changes and game seems to launch on 3.8.2 anyways (regardless the mode played).

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam

And then just "back"? Because nothing changes and game seems to launch on 3.8.2 anyways (regardless the mode played).

Dang, yeah just tried it and got the same thing as you. As Nyctaeus said he'll fix it so patience is key :yes:.

You can try what you want, just don't blame the Devs if you do something contrary to instructions. :D