Author Topic: [RELEASE] Into the Dark Waters  (Read 59156 times)

Offline Macielos

Re: [RELEASE] Into the Dark Waters
Yeah, it's already reported in bug report thread. We plan to release a patch today. I think it should work without the need to restart your campaign.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Nah. I've already mentioned the A key problem on Discord, just press whatever you've got bound to "Forward thrust" function. By the way, A is the default key for that function.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Ok, will try it. Normally, my "A"fterburner  :lol: is there, forward thrust is "U" here

Offline Macielos

Oopps, we didn't consider alternate key bindings, I guess we should change the message to something like "Keep pressing forward thrust (by default A) to start the engines".

BTW, we released a hotfix for the Punishment mission problem. Grab it from library thread.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Oopps, we didn't consider alternate key bindings, I guess we should change the message to something like "Keep pressing forward thrust (by default A) to start the engines".

BTW, we released a hotfix for the Punishment mission problem. Grab it from library thread.
Just make it say "press $A$" and it will automatically use the appropriate binding.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Macielos

Good to know, but a bit too late for 1.1 patch. So the message will have third and final version in 1.2 :P.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 01:11:11 pm by Macielos »

Working now, thx

I am having a great time playing the campaign, no rpoblems at all!

But one question - will the 27 missions/cutscenes be for all four planned acts together, or does the currently released first act/campaign have 27 missions on it's own? that's a bit unclear for me :-)

Offline CKid

This release has 27 missions.
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I am having a great time playing the campaign, no rpoblems at all!

But one question - will the 27 missions/cutscenes be for all four planned acts together, or does the currently released first act/campaign have 27 missions on it's own? that's a bit unclear for me :-)
ItDW itself is 27-mission long campaign. Second act will be probably similar in that case.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Allright , I have put ~15 hours into it am in mission 20 (approximately - the one with scanning anolomies). I really LOVE the campaign! but this mission is one exception... finding even one of these anomalies is simply impossible! LEt alone 5.  The mining mission earlier was unique too, but it was great fun, and refreshing, and I really enjoyed it. But this is really just, very, very frustrating. There is no direction indicator when you begin to get a signal, and the patches of space they are in are so small that I have literally been flying around for almost two hours doing absolutely nothing and still have to find a single anomaly. And I am flying at a speed of about 30. It's undoable.

Is there some kind of trick I am missing?

Other than this mission, I really LOVE the campaign, but if I can't find these things, I won't be able to play the rest of it which I am really looking forward too! :)

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Limit range of your radar to 1000. Anomalies are shaking blips similar to unindentified objects from classic FS nebula missions. They are invisible, but emitt the sound of beacon. Radar is a key to find them.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline CT27

I found that mission frustrating as well.  If you have to do a mission like that in Exile 2, I'd suggest having to search for less anomalies.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Actually, I *think* first one/two anomalies don't show up on radar.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Macielos

That's strange, neither we or the testers complained about this mission's difficulty. As Nycti said, searching the anomalies should be no harder than searching targets in the nebula in classic FS2 - you've got a blinking dot in the radar and once you direct your fighter towards it, just fly forward till custom HUD bar fills in.

Ok, we'll test the mission again and think what we can do to make it more intuitive and player-friendly.

Limit range of your radar to 1000. Anomalies are shaking blips similar to unindentified objects from classic FS nebula missions. They are invisible, but emitt the sound of beacon. Radar is a key to find them.

What is the key for that? I want to try it, but all teh shortcuts on the internet don't work (And I did not rebing anything): alt-5, and others...

nevermind found it it's the

'

key. Also just found first anamoly in seconds! Maybe it would be a good idea to clearly explain this in the mission briefing :) But thanks for the help~

Edit: few misions further now, no further problems! I really like this campaign :)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 12:42:24 pm by eragon2890 »

Offline CT27

I don't remember that on my radar, but that could be an explanation for why the mission took me a while.  I'll try to pay more attention next time.

Into the Dark Waters - Stuck in mission 15
Good work on this mod, been playing and so far it is one of the best I´ve seen around in quite some time. But (oh darn, here it comes...  ;) ), I´ve hit a snag. I´m currently stuck in mission 15. Kinda weird actually, all primary objectives completed, all ships of the convoy exit at the Delta Lacertae node and I this is where I´m really stuck! Can´t engage subspace drive to exit mission and I´m stuck with a buch of friendlies and that pesky Sathanas (Tyrant). Activated time warp hoping for a message to exit the mission but nothing, well into the 80/90 minutes gameplay! Nobody reported this yet guys? Thanks for the help in advance...   

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile

Jumping into the portal :P. Make sure that you are in close proximity of center of the node.

Also did U use chackpoints?