Author Topic: Modern X-Wing Pitch Video  (Read 3391 times)

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Modern X-Wing Pitch Video
Looks like there was actually a pitch to EA executives to make a modern X-Wing Game, see here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=18&v=jV0VNDbqILY

Looks actually like a solid prototype...    I am not entirely certain what the connection between that pitch the the Indie Game Rebel Galaxy is, which I have not played, but considering that said team is doing something space-shootery next (this tweet and a few others is all I know), this does get me exited somewhat ;)
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Re: Modern X-Wing Pitch Video
Looks closer to a modern Rogue Squadron than a modern X-wing game tbh.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I mean, that's pretty much what you'd get if you made a Star Wars total conversion for Rogue Galaxy (which the video mostly seems to be).
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
This is probably not something that should be said on hlp of all places - I much prefer rogue squadron to x-wing. The games were buckets of fun. Lucasarts acquired the rights from factor 5 so if they really wanted they could make a sequel. Why they don't is beyond me, since all 3 sold really well iirc.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
This is probably not something that should be said on hlp of all places - I much prefer rogue squadron to x-wing. The games were buckets of fun. Lucasarts acquired the rights from factor 5 so if they really wanted they could make a sequel. Why they don't is beyond me, since all 3 sold really well iirc.
I  sincerely don't find the Rogue Squadron games more fun than X-wing, I hate that horrible design philosophy of scripting stuff to the point you can't even damage certain targets until the game says so and all the games in the series are full of things like that.
I hate the simplified radar, I hate not being able to slow down enough to take a shot at something that's slower than me and most of all I hate being forced to a gamepad in the latter two games of the series.
By the way part of the reason the games didn't have follow-ups was that Factor 5 were sick of doing these games and it shows in Rebel Strike with all those janky on foot sections tacked on.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

The biggest problem that made Rogue Squadron games unplayable for me was the way they did roll. You don't have a roll axis but instead a modifier key that you press to roll.
It makes it nearly impossible to control my ship the way I'd want to.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
The roll mechanic was garbage, yes. The games were far more arcadey and they had their flaws, it goes without saying. I have really fond memories of them though, I played the absolute **** out of the first 2. The second one had coop so me and my mates would play missions and have dogfights over splitscreen.

X-Wing vs Tie was the only one of that series I played and by the time I got hold of it I'd already got my hands on a copy of FreeSpace, which I much preferred.

Offline Mikes

X-Wing vs Tie was the only one of that series I played.

Then you missed the good ones.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
This is probably not something that should be said on hlp of all places - I much prefer rogue squadron to x-wing.

You are right, you are a heretic :-)
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
The roll mechanic was garbage, yes. The games were far more arcadey and they had their flaws, it goes without saying. I have really fond memories of them though, I played the absolute **** out of the first 2. The second one had coop so me and my mates would play missions and have dogfights over splitscreen.

X-Wing vs Tie was the only one of that series I played and by the time I got hold of it I'd already got my hands on a copy of FreeSpace, which I much preferred.

You should play Tie Fighter (DOS CD-rom version), XvT is basically something like those spin-off Wing Commander games, a bit like having Freespace without the campaign and only with multiplayer and single missions.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I would like to see a Rogue Squadron Anthology game ported over to the Switch or something, with enhanced graphics and co-op gameplay for RS-3D.  Then perhaps a new game in the same vane for new trilogy.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
It runs on dolphin, in case you wanted to play at higher resolution than would normally be possible.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
It runs on dolphin, in case you wanted to play at higher resolution than would normally be possible.
Are you talking about Rogue Squadron 3D, or the Game Cube games?  What is this "dolphin" of which you speak?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Turambar

you can play Rogue Leader on the Gamecube/Wii emulator, Dolphin.  It was only made possible in the last couple of years, because of all the weird German magic Factor5 did to make it work on the gamecube in the first place, i assume.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Even on the GameCube, that game still looks gorgeous.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Even on the GameCube, that game still looks gorgeous.
Yes, there are a few cheap copouts like visibly low resolution skyboxes but the ship models are excellent and wouldn't look out of place in a modern game.
Sometimes I should try the games on Dolphin even though I have played them both on Gamecube I never got used to using a pad for the controls, and I have fondest memories of the first game overall because I had it on PC and could use a Joystick (also playing at high resolution with a TNT2 m64 didn't hurt).

I would take this, even as a more arcady take on space combat.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Looks like there was actually a pitch to EA executives to make a modern X-Wing Game, see here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=18&v=jV0VNDbqILY

Looks actually like a solid prototype...    I am not entirely certain what the connection between that pitch the the Indie Game Rebel Galaxy is, which I have not played, but considering that said team is doing something space-shootery next (this tweet and a few others is all I know), this does get me exited somewhat ;)

That's built on the Rebel Galaxy engine.    Rebel Galaxy:

Why does the game have the pilot sitting in the middle of a two-person cockpit? Also the jump to lightspeed is way too slow.

If they did a new X-Wing game I'd rather it was in the prequel trilogy if only to fight with and against something new.  There was some Naboo starfighter game but maybe it was pants, never played it.

Offline Turambar

Ugh, the less we can legitimize the prequels the better.

The more gets piled on, the tougher it will be to replace them with better prequels.