Author Topic: Up and running, but a few questions  (Read 1859 times)

Offline Dalz

Up and running, but a few questions
Hey guys,

Just picked up Freespace 2 from GoG and I've got it up and running with FSO 3.8.  One thing I can't get working, though, is the ship silhouettes on radar.  With both the default 2D and the 3D radar, all I get are the dots.  There is an MV_RadarIcons.vp file located in both the \mediavps_3612 and \MediaVPs_2014 folders.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled the game (and wiped the main install folder) but that hasn't fixed it.  I've attached my log file.  Any idea why the silhouettes aren't showing?

I was also wondering, should I be using the AVX or SSE2 executable?  I'm running a core i7 - if I understand correctly, AVX is the newer set of instructions where SSE2 is for older CPUs.  Do I have that right?

And a quick check on textures.  I saw a YT video with FSO 3.7.4, I think it was, where the textures for some ships looked very different from what I'm seeing in 3.8.  For example, the Hatshepsut looks like the attached image.  Are these the right textures?

Thanks for your help!

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Re: Up and running, but a few questions
Looks like the media VPs aren't working at all. When you run the game, what launcher are you using? And did you select the MediaVPs as s a mod before launching?
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
If you're not using Knossos, you really should.  You don't even have to run the GoG installer first; Knossos will install it for you given the path to the executable.
I was also wondering, should I be using the AVX or SSE2 executable?  I'm running a core i7 - if I understand correctly, AVX is the newer set of instructions where SSE2 is for older CPUs.  Do I have that right?
I'm sure your CPU can support AVX but Knossos will actually detect this and install AVX if supported, SSE2 if not.
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq
[6:24 PM] Axem: 22nd armored hq, i order you to get me a cup of coffee
[6:24 PM] PIe: and donuts
[6:24 PM] PIe: BECAUSE THIS IS THE GTVA POLICE
[6:25 PM] Axem: :O
[6:25 PM] Axem: am i under arrest
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: no, just please step out of the myrmidon
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: you have so much to fred for

[9:50 PM] Sottises: wait did you do vassago's verge?
[9:50 PM] Sottises: .. dirge?
[9:50 PM] Axem: yes
[9:50 PM] Sottises: ohh
[9:50 PM] Sottises: well I have that and JAD too
[9:50 PM] Axem: :)
[9:50 PM] Sottises: what a contrast of themes lmao
[9:50 PM] Axem: isnt it
[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship
[9:51 PM] PIe: jad is grimdark???
[9:51 PM] Axem: :skull:

Offline Dalz

I initially used FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar to set things up.  To launch the game I was using fs2_open_3_8_0_x64_AVX.exe but then realized that there are a whole slew of extra options with wxLauncher, so I'm using that now.  When I rerun the jar file, it's showing all of the 2014FSU MediaVPs and FSU MediaVPs version 3.6.12 checked, but they are also all greyed out.

When I reinstalled FSO it seemed to remember what options and mods I had previously selected.  Maybe I should start again and do a clean reinstall?  If so, how do I clear everything out?  I had deleted the FSO logs folder, thinking that was where it was pulling in my previous mods and settings from, but maybe there's something else I need to do?

Knossos looks really good.  That would be used lieu of both the FSO jar installer and wxLaunder, right?

Thanks for the replies and assistance.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 01:11:10 pm by Dalz »

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
I initially used FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar to set things up.  To launch the game I was using fs2_open_3_8_0_x64_AVX.exe but then realized that there are a whole slew of extra options with wxLauncher, so I'm using that now.
If you just double-clicked on the fs2_open_3_8_0_x64_AVX.exe, FSO just used the retail game files.  To use the MVPs (or any other mod), it needs to be passed a command line flag.  Launchers like Knossos or wxLauncher take care of this for you.
When I rerun the jar file, it's showing all of the 2014FSU MediaVPs and FSU MediaVPs version 3.6.12 checked, but they are also all greyed out.

When I reinstalled FSO it seemed to remember what options and mods I had previously selected.
Those settings are stored in fsoinstaller.properties in your home folder.  Deleting that will un-gray-out previously installed mods.
Knossos looks really good.  That would be used lieu of both the FSO jar installer and wxLaunder, right?
Yes.
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq

[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship

Offline Dalz

Thanks for the info!  I think I'd like to start a fresh install one more time and use Knossos.  As long as I clear out the Freespace 2, FSO logs, and %appdata% HardLight folders, then run Knossos that should be good, right?  (By "home" folder did you mean the appdata folder?)

** Edit ** Did that and everything is working now.  Textures, radar silhouettes, etc. all look right - what a difference!  I do have couple more questions:  :)

• Is there a way to scale the UI?  I'm running at 3440x1440 and the UI elements are pretty small.
  • Are the extra graphics and other options in wxLauncher all included in the settings for FSO and MediaVP or are there other graphics update file I should grab from Knossos?
  • Do I  put command line lighting settings in the custom flags line for FSO settings under the MediaVP options or the FSO options?  Or does it need to be in both places?  I'm not seeing any lighting changes so far...
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 06:01:22 pm by Dalz »

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
By "home" folder did you mean the appdata folder?
On Windows, the home folder is C:\Users\USERNAME.
Are the extra graphics and other options in wxLauncher all included in the settings for FSO and MediaVP or are there other graphics update file I should grab from Knossos?
As a launcher, Knossos has feature parity with wxLauncher.  The MediaVPs are the prettiest way to play the original campaign; you don't need any other downloads.

Do I  put command line lighting settings in the custom flags line for FSO settings under the MediaVP options or the FSO options?  Or does it need to be in both places?  I'm not seeing any lighting changes so far...
Put the settings you want to use for all mods in the Global Flags area of Knossos' settings (which can be reached by hitting the gear icon).  If you want to override those with specific settings for a certain mod, put your desired options in the FSO Settings for that mod (click on the dropdown on the tile).

Offline Dalz

Thanks for all of your help!  Regarding the HUD UI, I've found a few HUD mods that modify the scaling - is this the best way to go or is there a built-in option to do that now that I'm just missing?