Author Topic: Please fill me in  (Read 1706 times)

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Alright, those of you who remember me, should know that, while I hate to ask n00b questions, I'm not afraid to ask, and ask, and ask...

So, without further ado:

What does all of this coding entail? I'm DLing winCVS now, and I DLed the preset stuffs... What am I doing... and what do I do now?! :confuzzled: = :confused:
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
do you know how to program?
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
I'm a fast learner, I plan to learn as I go...

BTW: Where can I DL the source code?
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
A very quick, very brief overview:

CVS is a management system that keeps track of the changes to the source code files, which are in plaintext(same as .txt) format. It tracks the changes to each individual file, so if something goes wrong somewhere, an older version can be retrieved and the files compared to help find out how to fix the problem.

Each source code file contains a series of instructions that tell the computer what to do. There are two main types of files: .h and .cpp. ".h" is for header files, which are typically referenced by one or more files. They are included in the .cpp files, which contain most of the instructions for the computer.

The Freespace source code is written in 'C++', which is a new version of 'C'. C/C++ are compiled languages, which means you write the code, then you compile it with another program to turn it into an .exe. There are two big compilers: gcc and Visual C++ 6's. If you want to compile Fred, you'll need Visual C++. Otherwise, you can use either.

As for reading materials, there's another thread in the Hard Light forum with several suggestions.

As for where you can download the source code, go to http://fs2source.warpcore.org/ and download the preconfigured batch file. Extract the zip in the directory where you want the source code, then open up a dos window, go to the directory where you extracted the zip file and type "startcvs -download fs2_open". Once the batch file has finished running, a directory called "fs2_open" should appear. :nod:
« Last Edit: July 21, 2002, 11:41:39 pm by 374 »
-C

Offline RandomTiger

Ahhhhhh..................
Ah... thats the info I needed to know to become a useful member of this group rather than just a confused bystander.