Author Topic: Robert Space Industries. From the Wing commander + sequels makers  (Read 74154 times)

Re: Robert Space Industries. From the Wing commander + sequels makers
yeah coz that worked wonders with all the hollywood nostalgia movies recently. I mean, just look at Star Trek. It's fabulous!

I don't think that's particularly fair.
One of the problems with the game industry is that, recently the number of genres its focused on has been steadily narrowing. As a result of that, people are craving all those genres that got left behind. The resurrection isn't based solely on nostalgia, it's also based on the idea that there's an unfilled niche.

The new Xcom game for example was successful despite being a turn-based strategy game on a console. People weren't making these sorts of games because they thought they wouldn't sell, Firaxis proved them wrong. People will buy these sorts of games and genre if the game is good.

Don't worry yourself; Into Darkness seems to have triggered some kind of deep personal crisis in Luis. This is just his way of working it out.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Do many devs actually encrypt assets? Using proprietary formats or common ones wrapped up in layers of in-house tools I'm aware of, but actual encryption?
From what I read, Crysis 2 assets are encrypted, and the option is available in the CryEngine SDK.

In other news,

Baby steps, people, but modding has just happened.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Luis Dias

Oh look a pink ship. Is it the love boat? :D

No really, that's an awesome pic.

e: damn I hate so much fog. technically impressive shots, but they could take down the fog a bit.

IDK it reminds me too much of those shows from the 80s where the fog disguised the worst parts of their sets.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
hmmm, shivan 300i
el hombre vicio...

Oh look a pink ship. Is it the love boat? :D

No really, that's an awesome pic.

e: damn I hate so much fog. technically impressive shots, but they could take down the fog a bit.

IDK it reminds me too much of those shows from the 80s where the fog disguised the worst parts of their sets.

gotta have fog, how else can we show off all our particle effects

the backers won't have the fidelity they paid for otherwise!
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Aesaar

These tile textures are actually pretty nice.   We could definitely make use of them for base hull layers on smaller ships.

Also, the way these ships are texture mapped means importing them to FSO would be an extremely difficult job.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 12:19:23 pm by Aesaar »

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Here my Hornet in the Business Hangar :)

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
And the Constellation

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface

Hnnng

I be so close.

Soooo clooooose :<

Still doesn't show in hangar
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
haha look at that!
Dude, I will forever recognize you as the ultimate modder if you pull it off.
el hombre vicio...

Haha, nothing stops the Matth :P

Offline Deathsnake

• Again there
    • German Wing Commander Site
Just Photoshop (found it on the RSI Forum) but...

OMG.... don't want to wait 1,5 years... NOW PLS :/
Star Citizen No. 250

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I made a useless video

If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Lorric

I can see right through you, E! :)

The visual style reminds me of Timesplitters: Future Perfect a bit.

You know, for all these ships are all polished and exquisitely detailed and high-poly, I really think that if you actually ported the ship into FSO and used it for actual dogfighting (as opposed to, er... climbing ladders or opening doors) they'd all still look decidedly 'meh'. They just don't have interesting shapes at all; it's like they were designed to look good in some big-budget sci-fi movie rather than a dogfighting game. It's a bit of a worrying trend.

E: that image Deathsnake posted is a pretty good example: it looks way more like something you'd see in a JJ Abrams film than a Freespace game.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Really Phantom?
The bengal carrier just looks awesome, the Hornet too. I'm not quite fond of the other designs but that's just because they give a "retro" feeling for me.
But saying they look "decidedly meh"?, I think you just don't like SC and that's about it  :p
el hombre vicio...

Yeah, I've been kind of underwhelmed since SC was made public, but I think there's a basis for a lot of that. I didn't just say the designs were "decidedly meh" — I said they were decidedly meh in the context of a dogfighting game. They look great in the promotional material I've seen, but I've seen very little footage that's representative of the kind of visual experience I'd get from FSO; it's all been things like the 300 series commercial, shot with a very cinematographic style when the ship's in flight and with a lot of  focus on diegetic details like the ship interiors and their animations which you're going to spend maybe 5% of the game actually noticing (and the hangar module is obviously more of the same). Honestly, I find the ships in Oolite look more engaging, and they're all made on a ten-polygon budget with very simple textures. Don't get me wrong, it's well-executed and it helps immerse you in the world and grab public interest, but it troubles me that this is what they seem to have made the focus of their initial development.

Offline Aesaar

Of course they've made ships the focus of their initial development.  Kinda hard to make gameplay when there's nothing to actually fly.

You're basically criticising the game for not having much to show as though a game in development for barely a year should have more.

No, I'm criticising it for having a lot to show, none of which actually seems that important to the game being made.