Author Topic: Im confused. I need help  (Read 5152 times)

Im confused. I need help
Hello all, I recently downloaded this project through tourney's installer and all that. I have enabled the mediavps and all that for all the enhanced graphical effects and I notice all the different changes made to the engine, but Im concerned about getting everything that I could. Im not sure if the advanced effects are enables, from the file entitled "Mv-adveffects.vps". Am I supposed to have the effects AND advanced effects VP files in the same directory? Please help me out here

Ive seen threads talking about checking boxes on the feature tab on the launcher, but no matter which folder I use for mods, I do not get any boxes that I can check for enhanced effects or whatnot such as 3d shockwave or whatever. I would really like to get the most from Freespace 1-2 and I really enjoyed the games.

Offline Shade

Re: Im confused. I need help
If you have a system that can run it, then yes, they are supposed to be in the same directory.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
OK, here's what you do: (Under the "Features" Tab in the Launcher.)

Quote from: jr2
Very easy.... set to OpenGL.. Direct 3D is not officially supported anymore, and should only be used as a last resort.  Try running at 1024x768, make sure your tags are straight, mine are: (you can set these using the features tab)

type Graphics:
select all options except "disable scale to window for movies"

type HUD:
select all

type Gameplay:
select everything except The Babylon Project and Wing Commander Saga features toggles.

add this to the "custom flags" box, above "list type":

-ambient_factor 0 -no_emissive_light -fov 0.55 -spec_exp 16.7 -spec_point 0.6 -spec_static 0.9 -spec_tube 1

Moderator note: These are different settings to the ones people who run the official download will get.

EDIT: Oh, and for playing FS2, select the mod "mediavps" in the MOD tab... if you're playing another mod, mediavps is autoselected by the mod... but if you're just playing FS2, you've gotta turn it on yourself.

Im sorry, but I have no idea how to do anything your talking about. Whenever I do the default enhanced mod for the source project, entitled mediavps, I am able to load it up and play it, but on the features section, the "Easy Setup, Command Line and List Type" have "nothing" in them. They are all blank. I notice that I can type things in the "Command Line" text box, which will in turn put those same commands at the top of the features window at the end of "C:\GAMES\FreeSpace2\fs2_open_3_6_9.exe -mod fsport,mediavps", but that is it.

Could you explain it to me again?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Hrm.  You know the features tab, right?  Near the bottom, to the right of "list type" is a drop down box.  Select the correct type (eg Graphics)... then select what I told you to.

eg,

list type: Graphics
select all options except "disable scale to window for movies"

-In other words, check all checkboxes except the one I mentioned.  Now, change the list type to the next kind I mentioned (HUD), and follow my directions. Then the next.. Finally, put the custom tags that I mentioned in the "custom flags" box.  Then hit "Apply" (bottom right), then hit "Run"

Offline Shade

The "List type" dropdown box should contain several selections, notably "Graphics" which is what it defaults to. The actual checkboxes for that heading are found in a box below the "List type" box. See the attached picture.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Thx Shade... I was just going to do that, and I didn't feel like it.  Thx  :D

Offline Shade

No problem... wouldn't have bothered if I'd not started my post before yours went up though :p 3 cheers for laziness.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Laziness FTW!! lol  ;)

EDIT: @Mordivier:

:welcomeblue:

The "List type" dropdown box should contain several selections, notably "Graphics" which is what it defaults to. The actual checkboxes for that heading are found in a box below the "List type" box. See the attached picture.

It doesnt contain any selections whatsoever, its all blank. There is nothing written there. There is no text at all in any of the drop down boxes listed. Do you have any idea whats wrong?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Yeah, that might be a problem.. hmm, try deleting the launcher6.ini and then run it again, see if the boxes will work... this was a problem before, I think that's how it is fixed... um, where do you have FreeSpace2 Installed to?  (where did you tell the Open Installer to put FS2 etc?)  If it's the Desktop, or My Documents, move the folder elsewhere and try again.

EDIT: BTW, I've added your MSN (Hotmail) account to my IM, if you want, then we can chat & fix this faster... you'll need Windows Live! IM or something like Miranda IM to use it, though.

I deleted the launcher6.ini file and it works now. I can see the drop-down text in those boxes. Yet, when I look at the options available as compared to that image you showed me, Im missing a lot of options. All I have under the Graphics tab is "Enable D3D 32-bit mode." Is there anything that I need to do to be able to see all the other options?

*EDIT* As a matter of fact, I only have "Graphics, Audio, Multi, Troublehoot and Dev Tools" I dont have the others that the image you showed me has
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 09:32:25 pm by Mordivier »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
You are in Open GL mode, yes?  I have to go to work soon, but Turey is on, he can help.

Just to be clear:
List type: Graphics

Enable specular
enable glowmaps
enable environment maps
enable jpg/tga textures
enable mipmapping
disable motion debris
stops fog intersect hull
disable scale-to-window for movies (DO not check this one)
apply lighting to missiles

List type: HUD
Another pair of scanning lines
Enable info next to target
Enables 3d radar
enable rearm/repair completion timer
enable the analog ballistic ammo gauge

List type: Gameplay
use models for ship selection
enable 3d warp
enable flash upon warp
toggle features for the babylon project (DO NOT select!)
toggle features for the Wing Commander Saga (DO NOT select!)

Above List type, in "Custom flags" text box:
-ambient_factor 0 -no_emissive_light -fov 0.55 -spec_exp 16.7 -spec_point 0.6 -spec_static 0.9 -spec_tube 1
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 09:36:37 pm by jr2 »

Yes, Im using OpenGL.

*EDIT*I also find that whenever I exit Freespace, I still have the exe. running in the background and I have to manually end the process to start another one. After I do this, the launcher fails to read the flag and then it pops up and I cant select anything anymore - its back to being blank.

Yet, whenever I delete the launcher6.ini - everything goes back to normal to where I get to select what I wish, but the process always repeats when I exit Freespace
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 09:36:18 pm by Mordivier »

You are in Open GL mode, yes?  I have to go to work soon, but Turey is on, he can help.

Just to be clear:
List type: Graphics

Enable specular
enable glowmaps
enable environment maps
enable jpg/tga textures
enable mipmapping
disable motion debris
stops fog intersect hull
disable scale-to-window for movies (DO not check this one)
apply lighting to missiles

List type: HUD
Another pair of scanning lines
Enable info next to target
Enables 3d radar
enable rearm/repair completion timer
enable the analog ballistic ammo gauge

List type: Gameplay
use models for ship selection
enable 3d warp
enable flash upon warp
toggle features for the babylon project (DO NOT select!)
toggle features for the Wing Commander Saga (DO NOT select!)

Above List type, in "Custom flags" text box:

Nope, I do not have any of this listed under the Graphics tab under "List Type". All I have is Enable D3D 32-bit Mode".

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
I got ahold of Turey, he'll help you... gotta go now :)

Thank you very much :)

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Do you have a file called flags.lch in your FreeSpace2 folder? If so, delete it and try again.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Do you have a file called flags.lch in your FreeSpace2 folder? If so, delete it and try again.

Nope, I dont have a file by that name.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Have you ever had FreeSpace of any sort on this computer before you installed via my Installer?
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.