Author Topic: If you could create a video game, how would you make it?  (Read 8872 times)

Offline UnendingRequiem

• Conceited Bastard
If you could create a video game, how would you make it?
I'd make a space simulation game with gameplay similar to that of 1990s space sims, especially borrowing heavily from Descent: FreeSpace. The story would be amazing, the game would feature the ability to give squad commands to your wingmates, but the game wouldn't be dumbed down like most games nowadays. It would have a killer soundtrack that was very fitting, and in between single player missions the player can converse with his fellow squadron pilots and further romance sub-plots, similar to Mass Effect.

The game would feature a full map editor and fully supported modding tools. The multiplayer would use a service similar to the original Battle.net with chat rooms, friends lists, ladder, stat tracking, etc. but it would offer dedicated server support and both text and voice chat. Even the console versions would have chat-rooms and all of the features that the PC version would. The game would feature LAN support as well as online support, and there would be many pro-gaming tournaments and organizations. Players could play across platforms if they choose to, or they can also choose to just play with people using their platform. For instance, a PC player could play with a PS3, Wii, and Xbox 360 players all on the same server. Console players would be able to download the custom missions and mods that PC players create to their consoles for free, and they would have access to the mission creator, even though they wouldn't have all of the same modding tools as PC players due to restrictions. Would a game like this interest you?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: If you could create a video game, how would you make it?
Sure.

Of course, it's never going to happen, unless you're a representative of a very large gaming company with millions to spare.

Personally, the game I would make is pretty much the game I'm helping to make right now, so I may be biased.

If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline UnendingRequiem

• Conceited Bastard
Sure.

Of course, it's never going to happen, unless you're a representative of a very large gaming company with millions to spare.

Personally, the game I would make is pretty much the game I'm helping to make right now, so I may be biased.
Oh, what's it about?

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Basically it's the very game you just described and proposed.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Except, of course, for all the console interaction business (which, given how Console online platforms are structured, is impossible, by the way).
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I'd make a space simulation game with gameplay similar to that of 1990s space sims, especially borrowing heavily from Descent: FreeSpace. The story would be amazing, the game would feature the ability to give squad commands to your wingmates, but the game wouldn't be dumbed down like most games nowadays. It would have a killer soundtrack that was very fitting, and in between single player missions the player can converse with his fellow squadron pilots and further romance sub-plots, similar to Mass Effect.

If you're an optimist, Blue Planet accomplishes a lot of this - it even has (some) Mass Effect style conversation trees and choices built into the environment of FreeSpace 2 gameplay in War in Heaven.

If you're a pessimist it's an overly wordy shenanigan, but people seem to like it.

Offline newman

Personally I'd like to see something with open endness the old Elite 2: The Frontier had, only with a proper and captivating story and a universe that feels alive, all wrapped in a modern engine able to utilize the features of modern hardware. A game where I can buy, fly and customize any ship, take a walk inside that ship or a space walk outside it, land on planets and space stations, and pick up missions from shady characters in run down cantinas which are the hubs of scumm (tm) and villainy. I want to hide from my enemies in upper atmosphere layers of a gas giant or the surface of an ice planetoid with most systems down to avoid detection. I want to feel smug and secure in my heavily customized ship as I spring an ambush I set for my enemies, and vulnerable and exposed when I'm walking outside my ship armed only with a blaster pistol on a space station full of shady characters. I don't want dumbed down mouse controls in Freelancer style, I want to play it with a HOTAS stick and actually find a use for each of the many buttons on the overpriced stick.
Most importantly, I want all that without it being a mmo :) All this would be ideal. Failing that just give me a shooter and cutscenes with ridiculously proportioned babes.
As far as linear mission-by-mission space shooters go, Diaspora should pretty much fit the bill of what I want to see in a space sim/shooter.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 08:31:44 am by newman »
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter

Ambitious! I don't think any game maker thought of making their game amazing before! Maybe only a few actually thought of including a killer soundtrack too.

You should do this! The 'how' doesn't matter. All that matters is that you are going to make it amazing!
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline newman

I'm afraid "amazing" has already been patented by Diaspora. Sorry. You can try making it awesome instead?
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
If I could make a videogame I suspect it'd involve giant robots. And possibly end up as the next game in the MechWarrior franchise.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.

Ambitious! I don't think any game maker thought of making their game amazing before! Maybe only a few actually thought of including a killer soundtrack too.

You should do this! The 'how' doesn't matter. All that matters is that you are going to make it amazing!
No need to get all sarcastic, man.

Anyway, if I were to make a game, it would involve:

- Girls.
- Planes.
- Some kind of big tank battle with Russians.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
If I had all the money in the world, I've always wanted to see a sort of meta-game made up of an RTS, FPS and Space/Flight Sim. The modules would be separate, and each different gme would tell different aspects of the same story. But if you installed two or more, you'd be able to switch between them semi-seamlessly. So you might start in the RTS, and have a wing of flyers attacking an enemy base. Then, you'd click on one of the flyers, and click "Control Unit" or something, and the  game would load up the flight sim. And you'd then have direct control over your flyer. And then you might realize that your flier isn't doing enough damge to your enemy base, so you'd select one of your support troops on the ground and then the FPS engine would load, and you'd go in as a marine or whatever and kill all the enemy's troops. But then you might find some plans or maps or a satelite system that would reveal another enemy base, so you'd switch back to the RTS to figure out how best to build an assault force to attack this second base.

I doubt that it's in any way practical, but it'd be cool. :)
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)

No need to get all sarcastic, man.

Anyway, if I were to make a game, it would involve:

- Girls.
- Planes.
- Some kind of big tank battle with Russians.

Have you been watching some sorta animu again, boi?

[insert 'son i am disappoint' here]
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
If I had all the money in the world, I've always wanted to see a sort of meta-game made up of an RTS, FPS and Space/Flight Sim. The modules would be separate, and each different gme would tell different aspects of the same story. But if you installed two or more, you'd be able to switch between them semi-seamlessly. So you might start in the RTS, and have a wing of flyers attacking an enemy base. Then, you'd click on one of the flyers, and click "Control Unit" or something, and the  game would load up the flight sim. And you'd then have direct control over your flyer. And then you might realize that your flier isn't doing enough damge to your enemy base, so you'd select one of your support troops on the ground and then the FPS engine would load, and you'd go in as a marine or whatever and kill all the enemy's troops. But then you might find some plans or maps or a satelite system that would reveal another enemy base, so you'd switch back to the RTS to figure out how best to build an assault force to attack this second base.

I doubt that it's in any way practical, but it'd be cool. :)

Machines and Warzone were RTSes that kinda did this, a little

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Battlezone 3, just because.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Giant robots with shields, genetically engineered humans with horns and a trillion cybrids everywhere... or Starsiege 2. It would start with a nursery rhyme about eating dead people, beyond that, I dunno, it has giant mechs, space ships and space marines and stuff, hard to go wrong from there imo.
Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Battlezone 3, just because.

I would help you.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Have you been watching some sorta animu again, boi?

[insert 'son i am disappoint' here]

WoD badge detected, commencing ironic meltdown...
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Personally I'd like to see something with open endness the old Elite 2: The Frontier had, only with a proper and captivating story and a universe that feels alive, all wrapped in a modern engine able to utilize the features of modern hardware.
Try X3: Reunion .
It has pretty much everything you described aside from manually walking throught ships and stations.
I'm unsure about the story, since I didn't really played it (I don't have patience for such games, my father does, so all I know about X3, I know from him), but gameplay is quite interesting, graphics are amazing and universe dynamics are simply stunning.

As for a game I would create, I'll go with high realism, newtonian flight model and mostly millitary action, with branching storyline and wingman interactions like Wing Commander.
Something like Falcon 4.0 in space (in terms of gameplay), trying to limit dodgy explainations as much as possible.
In fact, I'd like to see something like that in FSO someday (fully newtonian flight model is almost possible to make already, but AI can't handle it).