Author Topic: Warning! Classified Level Omega! -GTVA  (Read 18809 times)

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Re: Warning! Classified Level Omega! -GTVA
I hope not. I'd fail Bearbaiting just because I was busy staring at the Sathy's beauty. :P
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I'd like to fail Bearbaiting by doing that :P :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Snail

• SC 5
It doesn't look very FS2-Shivan to me... Looks more FS1-Shivan, with all the machinery used in a semi-logical way; FS2-Shivans usually have random spikes and tubes sticking out everywhere for no reason.

(This is a good thing IMO).

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
It's based on the concept pic you can see in FS2's credits.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Hello everyone,

Thank you for commenting on the loading screen I made. I decided to join this forum since I'm planning to contribute something to HLP. Anyway the part that was highlighted in crazy green color is a part of my watermark signature, the similarity to BSG logo is purely coincidence.

This is my watermark signature:
http://fc60.deviantart.com/fs6/i/2005/079/b/d/Post_Apocalyptic_by_Councilor.png

:welcomesilver:

Welcome to the HLPBB, Councilor! I'm Mobius, we talked on MSN a while ago. I'm sure you'll find precious hints to get the models in-game. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
It looks pretty and all, but I'm worried the rib-like-things under the aft section will affect the gameplay.

Specifically: that they would make it hard for turrets to hit stuff that gets as close as that, giving fighters free reign to wreak havoc there. The need for fighter cover would increase, and the sucky AI would show even worse.

I do like it though, and I hope it's possible to keep the feel (although possibly making it a little more mechanical-looking in the process, right now I personally think some parts are too organic)

Hello everyone,

Thank you for commenting on the loading screen I made. I decided to join this forum since I'm planning to contribute something to HLP. Anyway the part that was highlighted in crazy green color is a part of my watermark signature, the similarity to BSG logo is purely coincidence.

This is my watermark signature:
http://fc60.deviantart.com/fs6/i/2005/079/b/d/Post_Apocalyptic_by_Councilor.png

:welcomesilver:

Welcome to the HLPBB, Councilor! I'm Mobius, we talked on MSN a while ago. I'm sure you'll find precious hints to get the models in-game. :)

Thank you mobius, I'm very much appreciated it. I'll do my best in here.

It looks pretty and all, but I'm worried the rib-like-things under the aft section will affect the gameplay.

Specifically: that they would make it hard for turrets to hit stuff that gets as close as that, giving fighters free reign to wreak havoc there. The need for fighter cover would increase, and the sucky AI would show even worse.

I do like it though, and I hope it's possible to keep the feel (although possibly making it a little more mechanical-looking in the process, right now I personally think some parts are too organic)

Thank you :nod: I'm more worried about the shape though... my sath is 1.5 times longer than original ingame model, so it could possibly instant mission fail when you have to dive after entering shivan territory with SF Mara. Probably if I mess around a bit with the pivot point (center of the object) could solve the problem...

The turrets could be placed on the most outer part of the hull, although it's just for protection, I believe sathanas purpose is not a fighter killer, so I think fighters are meant to wreak havoc in there, and be sure to keep your eyes on front because you don't want to collide with one of the ribs when doing the manouvers.

Anyway, the more organic look is just me experimenting things on shivans. Some people will find it menacing and the others will find it unsuitable for the shivans. I'd like to know how many people say this "organic-look in shivan" is cool or simply unsuitable for the shivans?

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I'm more worried about the shape though... my sath is 1.5 times longer than original ingame model, so it could possibly instant mission fail when you have to dive after entering shivan territory with SF Mara. Probably if I mess around a bit with the pivot point (center of the object) could solve the problem...

I have to tell you now, that it's vitally important that the new Sath plays identically to the old Sath. With scaling and model manipulation you can get it to fit closely to the same bounds as the original Sath model.

From the looks of it I'm not sure if this juggernaut was ever intended to be used in-game. Dare I ask for a polycount?
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

I'm more worried about the shape though... my sath is 1.5 times longer than original ingame model, so it could possibly instant mission fail when you have to dive after entering shivan territory with SF Mara. Probably if I mess around a bit with the pivot point (center of the object) could solve the problem...

I have to tell you now, that it's vitally important that the new Sath plays identically to the old Sath. With scaling and model manipulation you can get it to fit closely to the same bounds as the original Sath model.

From the looks of it I'm not sure if this juggernaut was ever intended to be used in-game. Dare I ask for a polycount?

Of course this current juggernaut is not going to ingame, because the polycount is definitely over 100,000. However I'm going to make the low polygon version of it, probably around 20000 - 30000 polys, and projected the high poly to the low poly as normal map. I know it's vitally important but the design itself is already changed, and it's impossible to fit it perfectly... maybe as close as possible would be... not impossible. Should I post the comparison between mine and the original?

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
A comparison would be awesome :P
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Heh. Even if this doesn't end up in the MVPs for compatibility reasons, it's still awesome. I say we have a standalone version of High Noon between this Sathanas and Trashman's concept-art Colossus.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Here's the comparison as promised:

One polygon acidentally got flipped... and I think I have messed up textures on the original sathanas, but that's not the point here I think.

Well there's no way to be sure if this model will surely ruin the original campaign before it's tested though... When I done modeling the low poly version of this, you'll get your chances to test it ingame, and hopefully it turned out to be fine.

Offline Droid803

Oh, that doesn't look too off. Just compress it a bit lengthwise and we're all set :nod:

But:

Heh. Even if this doesn't end up in the MVPs for compatibility reasons, it's still awesome. I say we have a standalone version of High Noon between this Sathanas and Trashman's concept-art Colossus.

QFT.
(´・ω・`)

If possible I want to retain the full volume of my sath without being scaled down or compressed lengthwise, however if need arise then it can't be helped...

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Yeah, this model would royally screw up Bearbaiting.

Let the pilots try it first in the real test sometime later... after few casualities then we can discuss it more :lol:

Offline tinfoil

• i'm 13 remember
my jaw just dropped so fast i think i broke my toe - that is amazing, my only complaint is that it would kill me every time in bearbaiting
Alcibades' Gamble - We Love Our Ice Cream

Everything you need to know, and more can be found at The Freespace Wiki

Offline Droid803

With tweaking it could work.
Though it'd probably be easier to scale the model than to redo the mission.

Let the pilots try it first in the real test sometime later... after few casualities then we can discuss it more :lol:
That'

that'd be fun XD
(´・ω・`)

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
I looked at the high-res version a while ago.

It's cool, and it's clear that it's based on the Sathanas, but some parts of it just don't look like what I think of as Shivan... particularly the muscle-like things around the claws. I mean, this basically makes me think of elemental evil or death type stuff--and that from the human viewpoint: loose muscles, exposed ribs, blood, etc.. Shivans are a species, not the embodiment of what humans think of when we think of death or evil.

Offline tinfoil

• i'm 13 remember
Yeah - if they existed. in game that's exactly what they are
Alcibades' Gamble - We Love Our Ice Cream

Everything you need to know, and more can be found at The Freespace Wiki