Author Topic: Short but frequent downtimes since last last Sunday/Monday  (Read 4044 times)

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Short but frequent downtimes since last last Sunday/Monday
There's seems to have been downtimes maybe 1-3 times a day. This seems to be a glitch in web server configuration, perhaps an incompatibility with some php application or a bug somewhere. It has been difficult to track down because there's nothing in any logs that would give a hint what causes it. Hence I've made some temporary alterations to web server configuration to revert it back to what it was before Sunday. Currently it performs slightly slower but hopefully it also stops these downtimes.

I'm in the process of preparing and testing a complete overhaul of the web server configuration, which theoretically should improve both compatibility and performance without sacrificing security. Depending on how quickly I can get the new config tested in a virtual machine and whether this temporary config works, there will be possibly 30 minute downtime coming sometime during Friday-Sunday time frame. Once done, I can only hope that'll be the end of downtimes.

There was another downtime earlier today/late yesterday where our ISP made some network servicing.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Re: Short but frequent downtimes since last last Sunday/Monday
Have backups been made?

Offline Ziame

• ED ftw
Don't worry Fury, we support your work.
Rabbinic Judaism had a good start with the Old Testament but kinda missed the point about 2000 years ago

ALL HAIL HERRA
/fan of BlackHole

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Sorry about the hiccup in the last hour. Something simple turned into a pain because of a typo. :rolleyes:

Offline rev_posix

• Administrator
  • I have the password to your shell account...
    • Trials and Tribulations
Sorry about the hiccup in the last hour. Something simple turned into a pain because of a typo. :rolleyes:
Isn't that always how it ends up?

It's amazing at times just how much of a difference a white space can make in a config file.  :mad:
--
POSIX is fine, as is Rev or RP

"Although generally it is considered a no no to disagree with a mod since it's pretty much equivalent to kicking an unpaid janitor in the nuts while he's busy cleaning up somebody elses vomit and then telling them how bad they are at cleaning it up cause you can smell it down the hall." - Dennis, Home Improvement Moderator @ DSL Reports

"wow, some people are thick and clearly can't think for themselves - the solution is to remove warning labels from poisons."